CoachWrestling

Rumor: Rob Koll to Stanford

14 hours ago, NJDan said:

I think Cornell is in a tough spot in replacing Koll, if it happens. Grey has paid his dues and the guys love him. But I would think that Hahn would be a bigger name and better recruiter. If Dake could take over, that'd be hitting on all cylinders.

I disagree. I think Grey is more of a household name at this point with young kids because of his work with Yianni and Vito. Hahn was the better wrestler, but it was so long ago and he hasn't had any superstar level guys since he left Cornell (understandably so; he's done a nice job at SDSU so far imo). If I had to choose, I'm taking Grey.

14 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Cornell’s behavior during the pandemic has apparently been nothing short of treating the students like they are inmates at nearby Five Points Correctional Facility, rather than students at an Ivy League institution, and it’s not like they made much effort to hide it. https://covid.cornell.edu/testing/dashboard/#about-alerts

I keep seeing people link Cornell's covid dashboard as some kind of gotcha. You seem to not even know what it is lol. All it does is track the basic data they gather through their covid program like positivity rate, tests administered, vaccines, etc... My school had the exact same thing (public school in a red state fwiw). I would imagine most colleges had something like this. It was not like living in a prison this year to say the least lol. Some might point to "Surveillance Testing." Not a good name choice imo, but my school had the same thing. We called it "Mitigation Testing." It's just getting regular testing. I was picked dozens of times this year. You get an email, you schedule an appointment at your convenience, show up, spit in a tube, and leave. You get your results in 24 hrs. I was never in the testing building for more than 10 minutes. This process kept our positivity rate extremely low and allowed us to stay open all year with minimum disruption. 10/10 would do again.

If you don't believe me, here's Julian Ramirez, an actual current Cornell wrestler, telling Mineo he's full of sh*t:

Bunch of grown men acting like widdle babies if they think this is like prison.

In other news I'm currently carrying on a sexual affair with Jennifer Lopez. 

What makes anybody here think that a school that was threatening to cut it's wrestling program is suddenly so concerned it's going to bring in another coach and pay him more than any other D1 coach? I have a bridge I'd like to sell, seriously who is gullible enough to believe this? 

17 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

This would be great for the sport. I’m sure Cornell would be able to recruit a great coach to take over what Koll has built too, so there should only be a moderate drop off in terms of the long term prospects of the program. It might be tough in the short term though if Yianni/Vito and a couple others transfer. 

If Koll moved out, Dake would move right in. That is if Dake is interested in coaching (not every wrestler wants to be a wrestling coach). 

17 hours ago, RegularStalling said:

From the outside it looks like Yianni's allegiance is more to Grey than Koll. Think he'd be more likely to follow Grey somewhere.

I've heard Yianni is transferring to OU. 

15 hours ago, NJDan said:

I think Cornell is in a tough spot in replacing Koll, if it happens. Grey has paid his dues and the guys love him. But I would think that Hahn would be a bigger name and better recruiter. If Dake could take over, that'd be hitting on all cylinders.

I'm not so sure. How many HS kids today have even heard of Damion Hahn? 

14 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Dake is not ready to be a head coach. He may go another cycle. I also think it's not crazy to think he may follow Koll. They are pretty close.

He may never want to be a head coach at all. Jake Herbert certainly didn't (not enough money). I'd bet most guys with potential to make serious money after graduating have no interest in coaching once their wrestling careers end. 

Just now, uncle bernard said:

This is totally ridiculous. 

I look forward to seeing Yianni in the black and gold where he truly belongs.

OU is crimson and cream, not black and gold. Plus OU's singlets aren't that different that the singlet he used at Cornell, so his fans won't suffer epileptic seizures after he transfer to OU. 

3 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

OU is crimson and cream, not black and gold. Plus OU's singlets aren't that different that the singlet he used at Cornell, so his fans won't suffer epileptic seizures after he transfer to OU. 

Fact: Yianni has never beaten a hawkeye.

If you can't beat em join em.

5 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

1 minute ago, uncle bernard said:

Fact: Yianni has never beaten a hawkeye.

If you can't beat em join em.

Yianni in Blue and White with Dake in his corner wearing his NLWC shirt

4 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Such a brutal thought. Why even have NCAAs at that point.

It would be unfair. Just my perception but Yianni seems like the kind of young man who wants that Ivy League degree.  I'm guessing he stays

2 hours ago, TobusRex said:

He may never want to be a head coach at all. Jake Herbert certainly didn't (not enough money). I'd bet most guys with potential to make serious money after graduating have no interest in coaching once their wrestling careers end. 

Lots of guys in the coaching biz were/are capable of making serious money. Some coach for a while and then move on to make “serious money”, fortunately some are making “ serious money “ now in coaching itself. You don’t think D1 wrestling has a load of guys in head coaching positions that are capable of / or have made “serious money”?  I’d be in the other side of that discussion.

2 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Idk seems like his wackadoodle leans a little right

Yeah I hear that, but the health aspects of his stances are definitely a lefty-disposition.  Either way, it seems like the spectrum is more circular than linear, go too far in one direction you just wind up on the other side.

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Every wrestler from NJ knows who Hahn is 

Every wrestler from NJ also knows who Grey is, and Grey is a dyed in the wool Edge guy as well as a Cornell grad.

2 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

Yeah I hear that, but the health aspects of his stances are definitely a lefty-disposition.  Either way, it seems like the spectrum is more circular than linear, go too far in one direction you just wind up on the other side.

Lol, no. There's nothing "left" (or right for that matter) about his weird health opinions. 

7 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

Every wrestler from NJ also knows who Grey is, and Grey is a dyed in the wool Edge guy as well as a Cornell grad.

And basically every time Yianni and Vito speak publicly, they talk about how great Mike Grey is. He's definitely a bigger brand than Hahn nationally imo.

9 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

Word

6 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Lol, no. There's nothing "left" (or right for that matter) about his weird health opinions. 

Every person I’ve ever met who had non-traditional views pertaining to health and wellness leaned in one direction politically. Yoga retreats, veganism, and similar lifestyle focused health approaches/views don’t really seem to overlap with the republican party all that much.