CoachWrestling

Rumor: Rob Koll to Stanford

4 hours ago, NJDan said:

According to this article, https://playersbio.com/cael-sanderson-bio/#:~:text=Talking about his salary%2C Sanderson,include any performance-based bonuses., Cael makes $200K per year. That's at a program that regularly sells out large arenas Why would Stanford pay Koll more than twice what Cael makes for running a program that attracts small crowds at best?

Because they can't get Sanderson to leave Penn State and you have to over pay when you don't have a winning program to attract people to the program to build it into a winner.

This is common.  The highest paid coaches aren't always the winningest coaches.  Teams around the world often overpay for athletes in order to rebuild the program.

And Penn State is a lot less work than Stanford would be.  Cael has a great staff, a supportive admin, a pool of local talent that has always supported Penn State even when they weren't successful.  Not to say that winning national titles is an easy job but some programs are easier to win national titles at than others.

1 minute ago, Pinnum said:

Because they can't get Sanderson to leave Penn State and you have to over pay when you don't have a winning program to attract people to the program to build it into a winner.

I don’t think they’re overpaying Koll. He is the one guy who’s worth every penny of that Stanford package. Cael is a wrestling demigod, but Koll is the rare total package of wrestling, business, and charisma. 

6 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Mineo seems to be now claiming that Koll got in some kind of trouble for holding off-campus workouts...

I know nothing about this claim.  But it seems logical to me.

Cornell has been supportive of the Wrestling program using their club program to get NY residency, get around Ivy League training limits, and basically do things however Koll wanted to build a winner.

But I could see all of that support evaporating during the pandemic as the Ivy League took a hard line and the administration and faculty were not supportive of making any concessions to students or athletes to try to establish some normalcy.

I don't think the program lost any support from their large supporter base outside of the school but I could see the staff and athletes feeling like they weren't given any support and were in fact prevented from having any support over the course of the last year.

18 minutes ago, Pinnum said:

Cornell has been supportive of the Wrestling program using their club program to get NY residency, get around Ivy League training limits, and basically do things however Koll wanted to build a winner.

But I could see all of that support evaporating during the pandemic as the Ivy League took a hard line and the administration and faculty were not supportive of making any concessions to students or athletes to try to establish some normalcy.

I don't think the program lost any support from their large supporter base outside of the school but I could see the staff and athletes feeling like they weren't given any support and were in fact prevented from having any support over the course of the last year.

Cornell will choose Ivy League status over a good wrestling program every time.  Non-happy times Ivy League School policies are very unfriendly to a successful wrestling program. 

6 minutes ago, Casper said:

Remember what happened to the last "top tier" coach to go to the West Coast.

He is now coaching in Jamestown, North Dakota.

yeah, that guy was grandfathered into his first job and went out west to a flailing team with his tail between his legs after being shown the door.

2 hours ago, Downtown Brown said:

Lots of guys in the coaching biz were/are capable of making serious money. Some coach for a while and then move on to make “serious money”, fortunately some are making “ serious money “ now in coaching itself. You don’t think D1 wrestling has a load of guys in head coaching positions that are capable of / or have made “serious money”?  I’d be in the other side of that discussion.

I think it comes down to what we consider "serious money". I found a reference that claims Cael makes $175k a year, not counting bonuses. That sounds ludicrously lowball to me, especially since John Smith supposedly makes $250k a year and he can't carry Cael's jockstrap as a coach. In any case either $175k or $250k are pretty good money, but not what I'd consider "serious money" (millions). 

https://www.google.com/search?q=Cael+Sanderson+salary&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS780US780&oq=Cael+Sanderson+salary&aqs=chrome..69i57.3599j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

4 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I think it comes down to what we consider "serious money". I found a reference that claims Cael makes $175k a year, not counting bonuses. That sounds ludicrously lowball to me, especially since John Smith supposedly makes $250k a year and he can't carry Cael's jockstrap as a coach. In any case either $175k or $250k are pretty good money, but not what I'd consider "serious money" (millions). 

https://www.google.com/search?q=Cael+Sanderson+salary&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS780US780&oq=Cael+Sanderson+salary&aqs=chrome..69i57.3599j0j7&sourceid

You mean the John Smith who's coached 5 National championship teams? That one?

Just now, Cementmixer103 said:

You mean the John Smith who's coached 5 National championship teams? That one?

No, I'm talking about the John Smith that hasn't won an NCAA team title in 15 years. 

You ever heard the term "what have you done for me lately"? 

1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I don’t think they’re overpaying Koll. He is the one guy who’s worth every penny of that Stanford package. Cael is a wrestling demigod, but Koll is the rare total package of wrestling, business, and charisma. 

Plus farts. Rob Koll will clear a room in 30 seconds flat if he wants to. 

1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I should clarify: I am not saying the figures suggested would be over paying for Koll. 

It was in response to the comment that made the comparison to Cael and Penn State.  If we establish Cael is being paid market rate (which he probably isn’t... he could be underpaid for the value he brings)  then any coach that produces less would be expected to be paid less.  

My point was more that it isn’t always good to compare what one program is paying to what another program is paying because there are different factors at play.  A job that is more difficult will need to pay more to attract the same quality coaches to lead them and even then there isn’t the same quality out there to be hired.  

Stanford went from not finding enough money to support several sports to now apparently being able to paying for one of the top coaches.  I guess someone there believes the injected cash flow will be available for awhile. 

Edited by MadMardigain

2 hours ago, Drew87 said:

Every person I’ve ever met who had non-traditional views pertaining to health and wellness leaned in one direction politically. Yoga retreats, veganism, and similar lifestyle focused health approaches/views don’t really seem to overlap with the republican party all that much.

This may have been true 10ish years ago, but things have shifted drastically. As strange as it sounds, there's now a strong right wing alternative health/hippy movement. From what I can tell, it seems to have grown out of vaccine skepticism (pre-covid). Marjorie Taylor Greene is a crossfit person and said diet and exercise is better than the covid vaccine. There are also some stories about other "alternative lifestyles" she partakes in. Dake's particular strain resembles the right wing strain more closely with the way he talks about eating based on his skin color and the kinds of things he talks about eating. 

Vegans do tend to skew left, but there's also a huge primal/carnivore/keto diet movement that falls into the right wing version. Just went down a huge youtube rabbit hole on guys that only eat raw and rotten meat (primal diet). Crazy times lol

21 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

From what I can tell, it seems to have grown out of vaccine skepticism (pre-covid)

Thank you, I had completely forgotten about this.  You are right.

22 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Just went down a huge youtube rabbit hole on guys that only eat raw and rotten meat (primal diet). Crazy times lol

And not only that, many would legit not live any other way, like it fixes a bunch of their gut issues.  Crazy times indeed.

US food supply, not exactly what it’s cracked up to be...

3 hours ago, Drew87 said:

Every wrestler from NJ also knows who Grey is, and Grey is a dyed in the wool Edge guy as well as a Cornell grad.

The guy asked who knows who Hahn is and I just pointed out that he still well known in NJ

49 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

The guy asked who knows who Hahn is and I just pointed out that he still well known in NJ

My bad, I didn’t mean it in a dickish way, just that the discussion seemed to be between Grey and Hahn, both NJ guys who set the high water mark for performance in their respective careers.

18 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if his source is Grey honestly.  Although looking at his other tweets has me wondering if he’s going too.

Mineo now saying Grey is the new HC.  I do think he (or his wife or something) may have been the source all along...

2 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

The real question we now have to ask:

Does Stanford pull the offer after Koll didn't know the score in the Foca finals match?

Foca is the guy who scared Max Dean away?  Would be third string at Iowa!

Edited by AHamilton

21 hours ago, TheOhioState said:

Wasn't Koll the youngest D1 head wrestling coach in the country when he took the Cornell job?

Never heard that about Koll.  Roger Reina was, for a couple of years.

5 hours ago, Pinnum said:

This would make a lot of sense. When you find loopholes around every Ivy rule that limits your ability to compete, you get used to being accommodated. But obviously Cornell wasn’t going to allow the same leeway for a pandemic. Did the athletes/coaches really feel they weren’t being supported? It’s kind of expected as part of the Ivy League that athletics will always come second.