CoachWrestling

Rumor: Rob Koll to Stanford

Interesting that he is the 31st head coach of Stanford wrestling team.  I wonder if there is a school that has had more than 31 head wrestling coaches in their history. 

Edited by jeffrideal

7 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I think it comes down to what we consider "serious money". I found a reference that claims Cael makes $175k a year, not counting bonuses. That sounds ludicrously lowball to me, especially since John Smith supposedly makes $250k a year and he can't carry Cael's jockstrap as a coach. In any case either $175k or $250k are pretty good money, but not what I'd consider "serious money" (millions). 

https://www.google.com/search?q=Cael+Sanderson+salary&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS780US780&oq=Cael+Sanderson+salary&aqs=chrome..69i57.3599j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Amazing.  There is an abundance of people in almost any large business in that salary range.  Many of whom could be replaced with a Mr Coffee machine with no detriment to the company.  I would think Koll, Sanderson, J Smith, et al would be worth more than that to their University.

Stanford has some pretty big balls to go after a coach of Koll's stature after very publicly demonstrating they'll cut the program at the drop of a hat. This is a guy who brought Cornell wrestling to national prominence and his name is synonymous with the program.

Could Koll have reached out to them? There's no guarantee the ivies won't cancel everything again next season when we get the inevitable uptick in covid cases in the Fall.

14 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

There's no guarantee the ivies won't cancel everything again next season when we get the inevitable uptick in covid cases in the Fall.

Wrong on all counts.

47 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Past is prologue. so far the ivies are 1/1 in cancelling sports during covid.

Vaccines are the difference. Some states already have no mask requirements for vaccinated pre-college kids, e.g. Rhode Island (home to Brown). The Ivy League's chances of cancelling an entire season due to civil war is more likely than due to COVID after required vaccination. Possible but highly implausible.

59 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I'm stunned. Can't believe Koll would leave Cornell for a school that has shown very little dedication to the wrestling program, but it sure looks like it's happened. 

Lol, Cornell is just gradually neutering the team instead of openly trying to cut the team.

58 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

And the Ivies are the only conference not beholden to athletics for $$.

On 5/28/2021 at 8:20 PM, NJDan said:

Maybe. If you're right, a year from now he can start wrestling again for the team and be the first player coach in NCAA history.

5 titles at 5 weights, baby!

On 5/29/2021 at 9:30 AM, uncle bernard said:

I disagree. I think Grey is more of a household name at this point with young kids because of his work with Yianni and Vito. Hahn was the better wrestler, but it was so long ago and he hasn't had any superstar level guys since he left Cornell (understandably so; he's done a nice job at SDSU so far imo). If I had to choose, I'm taking Grey.

Obviously reading this after the news is all official but there is no "wrong" between Grey and Hahn. I think Grey has been the heir apparent since being named Associate Head Coach and Hahn grabbed the first good head coaching offer he got. SDSU seems generally committed to building a reputation through athletics (winning their conference in basketball, multiple FCS titles) and I'm glad it worked out for both of them. Everyone in Ithaca seemed to love both of them but Yianni treats Grey's kids as if he's an uncle. When rumors started to spread about Koll interviewing I didn't sweat it because I feel pretty good about continuity. 

22 hours ago, Drew87 said:

Every person I’ve ever met who had non-traditional views pertaining to health and wellness leaned in one direction politically. Yoga retreats, veganism, and similar lifestyle focused health approaches/views don’t really seem to overlap with the republican party all that much.

nootropics are right wing herbal remedies

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

To be fair, most of the others cancelled as well.  Then - as Bob Dylan said - money doesn't talk, it screams.  Lo and behold, superspreaders.

37 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Vaccines are the difference. Some states already have no mask requirements for vaccinated pre-college kids, e.g. Rhode Island (home to Brown). The Ivy League's chances of cancelling an entire season due to civil war is more likely than due to COVID after required vaccination. Possible but highly implausible.

Exactly. People claiming that they were wrong to cancel before so are likely to do so again are completely ignoring that last year there was a virus killing thousands per day with no effective treatment. Now we have far fewer deaths, a highly effective vaccine, and multiple effective treatments. The ivies made the right decision last year, and I am sure they will once again make the right decision. 

2 hours ago, Fletcher said:

You are aware that the Ivy League restarted competition this spring, right?  Oh, maybe not.

1 hour ago, Drew87 said:

And the Ivies are the only conference not beholden to athletics for $$.

Cancel sports and watch what happens to their donation life blood.

This whole concept is absurd.

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

Exactly. People claiming that they were wrong to cancel before so are likely to do so again are completely ignoring that last year there was a virus killing thousands per day with no effective treatment. Now we have far fewer deaths, a highly effective vaccine, and multiple effective treatments. The ivies made the right decision last year, and I am sure they will once again make the right decision. 

i get that ivy coaches/athletes/fans were upset with the league for not going back to competition when the rest of the country did - it was hard to watch the tournament without my guys in it - but scrambling to get back before reaching the negative-test threshold wasn't going to happen.

14 minutes ago, klehner said:

yes - it's incoherent to argue simultaneously that the alumni are mad and that the schools want to act in defiance of them for some snooty reasons.

5 minutes ago, klehner said:

I will respectfully disagree, nobody’s going to an Ivy League football game for the football.  Ditto for just about every other sport.  Alumni donate so they can be on record as donating when their brethren send in applications.  

8 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

I will respectfully disagree, nobody’s going to an Ivy League football game for the football.  Ditto for just about every other sport.  Alumni donate so they can be on record as donating when their brethren send in applications.  

This is too simplistic. Some Ivy Leaguers care a lot about sports. A billionaire Yale grad offered several million dollars to fund not just Yale but Ivy League lacrosse for a single season when sports were shut down. It’s not like at Stanford or Duke, but athletically directed gifts at Ivies can be substantial. 

4 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

covid numbers right now are they best they’ve been but you can’t even set foot on an ivy league school campus as a non-student. they’re still overreacting.

You may be right, but it would not surprise me to see an overly cautious response to a seasonal increase in covid in Nov.

3 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

To be fair, most of the others cancelled as well.  Then - as Bob Dylan said - money doesn't talk, it screams.  Lo and behold, superspreaders.

*Citation to superspreader events missing.