wrestlingnerd

Post Koll and Stanford scuttlebutt here

Fascinating turn of events at Stanford. Historic job by Cardinal alumni. From shtcanned to best position in program history in about a month. Just wow. Can’t imagine any of the Stanford guys in the portal are leaving now. 

No idea who Pat Mineo is but I just followed him on Twitter. Hat tip to that guy. 

$2.5M guaranteed over 5 years with $13-15M wrestling endowment. 

Nolf might come along. 

What did I miss?

Is Gabe Dean going to follow him after one year of coaching at his old HS? Dean with upper weights and Nolf with middle weights would be an absolutely killer combo. 

Stanford was founded to become the “Cornell of the West”, employing many Cornell professors, and eventually eclipsed Cornell as a university. Are the events of the past week the wrestling version of this history?  

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Just now, Idaho said:

Why would you post in the Rumor Koll thread where everyone is discussing....then post your own thread directing people to post it here? 

Because that thread is now irrelevant after the signing. This is 2.0. Also wanted to give Mineo his propers. Who is he?

2 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Because that thread is now irrelevant after the signing. This is 2.0. Also wanted to give Mineo his propers. Who is he?

Gotcha....rumor to reality? I have not seen a confirmation on this ... Do you have a link to his departure and signing at Stanford?

Im always Skeptical of Mineo's news breaks. Sometimes it ends up being BS, other times he's nailed it. 

Kudos if he got this one before anyone else, but it wont be shocking if only one piece of this turns out to be true, or none at all either. 

1 minute ago, Idaho said:

Gotcha....rumor to reality? I have not seen a confirmation on this ... Do you have a link to his departure and signing at Stanford?

2 minutes ago, iGranby said:

Kudos if he got this one before anyone else, but it wont be shocking if only one piece of this turns out to be true, or none at all either.

Willie confirmed it on Twitter. I trust him

Just now, portajohn said:

Willie confirmed it on Twitter. I trust him

Right there with ya - so, seems kudos are in order!

Did he confirm all of the above? The figures + "Benefits"? Nolf going too?

13 minutes ago, iGranby said:

Right there with ya - so, seems kudos are in order!

Did he confirm all of the above? The figures + "Benefits"? Nolf going too?

Did not. Just that Koll will be signed shortly. I'm curious how Mineo gets his "insider info". The Koll rumor was posted on this forum by me prior to Mineo tweeting about it. So it was out there in the wrestling community. But the Nolf departure to Stanford rumor was out of left field

Edited by portajohn

12 minutes ago, portajohn said:

Did not. Just that Koll will be signed shortly. I'm curious how Mineo gets his "insider info". The Koll rumor was posted on this forum by me prior to Mineo tweeting about it. So it was out there in the wrestling community. But the Nolf departure to Stanford rumor was out of left field

Gotcha - I would be shocked to see that move by Nolf, it kind of strikes me as something that was "tacked on" to sensationalize the actual news. More clicks essentially. 

Nolf's wife plays for a Club located in Kansas City, so unless they know she will be sold to a club on the west coast or something it doesnt make a ton of sense. 

Edited by iGranby

Just now, JasonBryant said:

Nolf was supposed to head to Stanford before the program was dropped according to the KSW Town Hall zoom call the week of the reinstatement. 

Oh wow, thanks for the info - had no clue obviously. 

If this is true, Cornell has some problems, and I’d expect to see Koll bringing a fat roster with him over the next few months. Perfect timing too, guys will finish finals and put in the transfer paperwork. 

Cornell wrestling sprung a FAT leak, that team could be eviscerated over the next few months.  Cael to Penn State was the last move of this magnitude I can remember.

Edited by Drew87

1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Fascinating turn of events at Stanford. Historic job by Cardinal alumni. From shtcanned to best position in program history in about a month. Just wow. Can’t imagine any of the Stanford guys in the portal are leaving now. 

No idea who Pat Mineo is but I just followed him on Twitter. Hat tip to that guy. 

$2.5M guaranteed over 5 years with $13-15M wrestling endowment. 

Nolf might come along. 

What did I miss?

Is Gabe Dean going to follow him after one year of coaching at his old HS? Dean with upper weights and Nolf with middle weights would be an absolutely killer combo. 

Stanford was founded to become the “Cornell of the West”, employing many Cornell professors, and eventually eclipsed Cornell as a university. Are the events of the past week the wrestling version of this history?  

Hell, if they can get Nolf what do they need Koll for? 

1 hour ago, Drew87 said:

If this is true, Cornell has some problems, and I’d expect to see Koll bringing a fat roster with him over the next few months. Perfect timing too, guys will finish finals and put in the transfer paperwork. 

Cornell wrestling sprung a FAT leak, that team could be eviscerated over the next few months.  Cael to Penn State was the last move of this magnitude I can remember.

Wait, what?  I thought SUNY Ithaca had really low acceptance criteria.  How would these clowns get into a real school like Stanford?  Does Stanford also waive admission criteria for wrestlers?

Finals were over on May 25.

7 minutes ago, klehner said:

Wait, what?  I thought SUNY Ithaca had really low acceptance criteria.  How would these clowns get into a real school like Stanford?  Does Stanford also waive admission criteria for wrestlers?

Finals were over on May 25.

Koll has some excellent NJ guys on the roster, some BC guys, the same high school Griffith went to, and a dude at heavyweight who was a generational talent out of NJ.  

Not saying all of them obviously, but there are some dudes with grades plus the credentials to persuade some Stanford admissions folks to give them a nod. I’d imagine that would be whichever guys aren’t in the hotel or ag schools.

1 hour ago, Drew87 said:

Koll has some excellent NJ guys on the roster, some BC guys, the same high school Griffith went to, and a dude at heavyweight who was a generational talent out of NJ.  

Not saying all of them obviously, but there are some dudes with grades plus the credentials to persuade some Stanford admissions folks to give them a nod. I’d imagine that would be whichever guys aren’t in the hotel or ag schools.

Idk with Grey staying on as head coach I think the jersey guys most likely  stay 

16 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Idk with Grey staying on as head coach I think the jersey guys most likely  stay 

14 minutes ago, jdalu75 said:

Transfer portal closes on June 1st.  Wonder if it works over a holiday weekend?

Good point and good point.  Koll may have had this in the works and decided to wait until this late to announce so guys can’t go with.

1 minute ago, Drew87 said:

Good point and good point.  Koll may have had this in the works and decided to wait until this late to announce so guys can’t go with.

That's a stupid theory.  Why would he do something like that?

Looks like the transfer deadline was March 15th. So they would probably have to transfer in 2nd semester unless accommodations are made in this situation.

From the website, "The application deadlines are November 1 (Restrictive Early Action), January 2 (Regular Decision) and March 15 (Transfer Admission)."

1 minute ago, Relentless125 said:

Looks like the transfer deadline was March 15th. So they would probably have to transfer in 2nd semester unless accommodations are made in this situation.

From the website, "The application deadlines are November 1 (Restrictive Early Action), January 2 (Regular Decision) and March 15 (Transfer Admission)."

You can pretty much blame anything on COVID and get what you want. 

11 minutes ago, Relentless125 said:

That’s for transfers in, not transfers out.