wrestlingnerd

Post Koll and Stanford scuttlebutt here

4 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

That’s for transfers in, not transfers out.

But half the squad is transferring *in* to Stanford, so Stanford's deadline (March 15 of this year) is what matters.

14 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

That’s for transfers in, not transfers out.

Yes, transfers IN to Stanford. Not sure what you mean.

Decisions were made for normal transfer admittance on May 7th.

https://admission.stanford.edu/apply/deadlines/

Edit: So unless there's some special leeway for athletes they will either have to stay where they are or wait until 2nd semester/the follow school year.

This was also interesting, "Stanford University accepts 1.15% transfer applicants, which is competitive. To have a shot at transferring into Stanford University, you should have a current GPA of at least 3.95 - ideally your GPA will be around 4.11." https://www.campusreel.org/how-to-transfer-colleges/stanford-university-transfer-requirements

Edited by Relentless125

Will there be a Finger Lakes West to gray-shirt kids?

(Explanation: I am being facetious.  Big respect for what Kohl did at Cornell, but using Finger Lakes to skirt the spirit of the Ivy rules was a bit slippery in my opinion.)

Edited by Coach_J

38 minutes ago, Coach_J said:

Would that be needed?  What is Stanford's policy on redshirting?  Without looking it up, I'm guessing they don't have any restriction comparable to the Ivies.

2 hours ago, Coach_J said:

No need for that since redshirting is explicitly allowed at Stanford (not at Ivies). The real question is whether there will be an RTC a la Penn State's where kids can gray- and then red-shirt. My bet is there will be. California RTC is on the rise. All Koll has to say is, every Ivy with wrestling, even Brown, has one, do you want the Stanford team to have a subpar RTC? You need a top RTC to be nationally competitive in the modern era of college wrestling.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

a secret about college admissions is that it is much easier to transfer in to "elite" schools than it is to get in out of high school. transfer students aren't included in USNWR rankings so admissions offices don't have to be a obsessed with SATs or high school GPAs.

7 hours ago, ugarte said:

a secret about college admissions is that it is much easier to transfer in to "elite" schools than it is to get in out of high school. transfer students aren't included in USNWR rankings so admissions offices don't have to be a obsessed with SATs or high school GPAs.

Yeah this seemed to be part of the Finger Lakes plan, in which case maybe he could use the same strategy at Stanford?

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah this seemed to be part of the Finger Lakes plan, in which case maybe he could use the same strategy at Stanford?

yes, this was my point for anyone concerned that stanford academics would be a barrier to getting transfers. it is also true that stanford is more flexible than any ivy is for sports where they want to be nationally competitive.

9 hours ago, ugarte said:

In general, this is true.  But this is not the case at Stanford.  Stanford's transfer acceptance rate is 1.15%.  Their undergraduate acceptance rate is around 5%.

7 minutes ago, scribe said:

Rebuilding a program takes time. Koll is not young. I doubt this will amount to not much more than a 401k stint arising from covid compliance fallout at Cornell. 

He’s in his mid 50s isn’t he and fairly healthy? If he could build it in Ithaca, he will be able to in Palo Alto. Not to mention he has a lot more credibility now than 20 years ago. 

No need for that since redshirting is explicitly allowed at Stanford (not at Ivies). The real question is whether there will be an RTC a la Penn State's where kids can gray- and then red-shirt. My bet is there will be. California RTC is on the rise. All Koll has to say is, every Ivy with wrestling, even Brown, has one, do you want the Stanford team to have a subpar RTC? You need a top RTC to be nationally competitive in the modern era of college wrestling.

Is Kerry McCoy still the Executive Director of the California Olympic RTC on Stanford’s campus, as was originally announced a year ago?

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2020/June/08/Kerry-McCoy-California-RTC

EDIT to provide a reference not behind a pay wall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just now, lu_alum said:

Is Kerry McCoy still running the California Olympic RTC on Stanford’s campus, as was originally announced a year ago?

https://www.mcall.com/sports/college/mc-spt-kerry-mccoy-appointed-california-rtc-executive-director-20200608-yfltn5idcfhuxocpsvfvktdljm-story.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe so, and I also believe his days are numbered. Koll will replace him with an absolute hitter in due time. 

26 minutes ago, Boompa said:

I see Dake eventually following him out there when he is done competing.  Grey will be the H/C for two decades while Dake can become the H/C of Stanford in 5 years.

He can probably go to work for Milwaukee Tool and make more money.

On 5/29/2021 at 10:47 AM, wrestlingnerd said:

$2.5M guaranteed over 5 years with $13-15M wrestling endowment. 

According to Rob Koll, in the YouTube video interview of May 30, 2021, this is completely false.   Koll didn't elaborate a lot in the interview but Koll joked that he WISHED that were true.   He also said that when his wife saw that figure she was very impressed and he had to explain to her that it wasn't true.  He also mentioned that he would like to know where Mineo gets his information because the money part (what he will be paid by Stanford) hasn't been finalized yet.   But it absolutely is NOT $2.5 million over 5 years.

8 minutes ago, Bronco said:

According to Rob Koll, in the YouTube video interview of May 30, 2021, this is completely false.   Koll didn't elaborate a lot in the interview but Koll joked that he WISHED that were true.   He also said that when his wife saw that figure she was very impressed and he had to explain to her that it wasn't true.  He also mentioned that he would like to know where Mineo gets his information because the money part (what he will be paid by Stanford) hasn't been finalized yet.   But it absolutely is NOT $2.5 million over 5 years.

I gave Minneo too much credit. He nailed everything else, so I figured he would be right on the comp. Wrong!

On 5/29/2021 at 10:42 AM, Drew87 said:

If this is true, Cornell has some problems, and I’d expect to see Koll bringing a fat roster with him over the next few months. Perfect timing too, guys will finish finals and put in the transfer paperwork. 

Cornell wrestling sprung a FAT leak, that team could be eviscerated over the next few months.  Cael to Penn State was the last move of this magnitude I can remember.

It's super tough to transfer into Stanford. Almost never happens.

Dropping 11 sports at once and later reversing it could be the best thing that ever happened to the wrestling team. Now that all these teams realize they are stronger if they stand together, it's hard imagine that Stanford will drop wrestling without a strong show of support by the other sports and their alumni.

This, plus Koll, could really put Stanford on the move. Lack of money has not been an issue in the past, but the public financial commitment will also lead to momentum.

Willie Saylor had a piece on Rokfin over the holiday weekend that was interesting. His take was that Koll was never returning to Cornell due to increasing tensions between him and the Cornell administration. There were multiple factors that I will omit to keep this post brief. He said that his sources had told him that Koll had already been in negotioations with his alma mater North Carolina when the Stanford job came available. The information he presented made the Stanford move more logical in my mind. On a side note Willie said that he thought Nolf coming on board at Stanford was discussed, but there would be no follow through by Koll. He did say that maybe, and I want to stress the maybe that Vincenzo Joseph may be in the mix as an assistant at Stanford. Anyway, I found his take interesting.

2 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Can't imagine the chances are much higher. I'd guess it's even tougher to get in as a grad transfer than as an incoming undergrad athlete. 

But what if Yianni finishes his studies and applies as a first year grad student to Stanford?

Edited by AHamilton