wrestlingnerd

Post Koll and Stanford scuttlebutt here

2 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

But what if Yianni finishes his studies and applies as a first year grad student to Stanford?

Yianni is very tight with Grey.  He is not going anywhere.

10 minutes ago, RED said:

Yianni is very tight with Grey.  He is not going anywhere.

... as an example...

But you are right... he's looking like a 6 year college student and Koll probably thinks he needs to get on with his life.  Koll seems to now prefer guys like Real Woods who finish their degrees in three years.

Edited by AHamilton

13 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

... as an example...

But you are right... he's looking like a 6 year college student and Koll probably thinks he needs to get on with his life.  Koll seems to now prefer guys like Real Woods who finish their degrees in three years.

I’m not entirely sure what you’re leveling at on this one, very likely Griffith, woods and abas would all have been 5 year graduates if they had been left alone by the university.

In Koll's interview with Bader he suggested that he wasn't bringing anyone from Cornell with him, whether because of Stanford's stringent transfer policies or otherwise. He did leave the door open to grad transfers, though, and once the pandemic exemptions end in the Ivy League I wouldn't be surprised to see him try to lure guys out west for the final year of NCAA eligibility. 

5 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

I’m not entirely sure what you’re leveling at on this one, very likely Griffith, woods and abas would all have been 5 year graduates if they had been left alone by the university.

Of course... I was being facetious.  But Koll is on the record that guys who take 6+ years need to get on with their lives.  

2 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Of course... I was being facetious.  But Koll is on the record that guys who take 6+ years need to get on with their lives.  

My bad, my facetious muscle is broken in the morning.  If I recall correctly, wasn’t Grey one of the first to ever take a “greyshirt” at Cornell?  

1 hour ago, AHamilton said:

But what if Yianni finishes his studies and applies as a first year grad student to Stanford?

What about it?  He will have used up his eligibility by then.  He didn't get a free year this year.

54 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

He would probably make an exception for anyone who might be a legitimate contender for a spot on the Olympic team.

1 hour ago, klehner said:

What about it?  He will have used up his eligibility by then.  He didn't get a free year this year.

he wasn't enrolled at all, i don't think, so iirc the clock wasn't ticking. but i'm never totally sure about the rules.

8 hours ago, RED said:

He would probably make an exception for anyone who might be a legitimate contender for a spot on the Olympic team.

Is 4th a legit contender?  Almost teched by the Big 10 runner-up, who wrestled an NCAA season.  Maybe Yianni should have wrestled the season.

14 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Is 4th a legit contender?  Almost teched by the Big 10 runner-up, who wrestled an NCAA season.  Maybe Yianni should have wrestled the season.

Give it a rest, already.  You should take your own "advice" and "get on with your life."

Edited by klehner

41 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

I'd say two NCAA titles and two cadet world titles makes him legit.

57 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I'd say two NCAA titles and two cadet world titles makes him legit.

4th in Olympic trials.  Cadet worlds was a long time ago. Has he scored off his own attack since cadet worlds?   He seems to be regressing.  Losses to JO, McKenna, and Lee have been unavenged.  Losing to people older than him and younger than him... and these are all guys he beat a few years ago. Probably should take Coach Koll's advice and get on with his life.  He is going to be mid twenties wrestling against 18 year olds.  Where is the accomplishment?  And he'd better not go Nick Lee's weight... 

Edited by AHamilton

24 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

4th in Olympic trials.  Cadet worlds was a long time ago. Has he scored off his own attack since cadet worlds?   He seems to be regressing.  Losses to JO, McKenna, and Lee have been unavenged.  Losing to people older than him and younger than him... and these are all guys he beat a few years ago. Probably should take Coach Koll's advice and get on with his life.  He is going to be mid twenties wrestling against 18 year olds.  Where is the accomplishment?  And he'd better not go Nick Lee's weight... 

Lee beat Yianni for third. In that same tournament, Retherford DNP. Yianni wrestles best when he is going for gold, as we was, when he teched Molinaro. Last time he and Lee were in an NCAA bracket, Yianni placed first and Lee was fifth.

17 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Can't imagine the chances are much higher. I'd guess it's even tougher to get in as a grad transfer than as an incoming undergrad athlete. 

Chances are a lot higher for grad school, especially for something like engineering. Many masters programs are not nearly as competitive to get into as undergrad and transfer. That is, programs that are not Ph.D., MBA, MD, or JD.

7 hours ago, NJDan said:

Lee beat Yianni for third. In that same tournament, Retherford DNP. Yianni wrestles best when he is going for gold, as we was, when he teched Molinaro. Last time he and Lee were in an NCAA bracket, Yianni placed first and Lee was fifth.

"at his best when going for gold"; "should be our Olympic rep"; "if this were Russia, he would be the rep."

All excuses for John D's inability to get it done domestically.  In fact, you just named another person whom he has not avenged a loss to: Zain.  So that's Zain, Lee, JO, McKenna who to this point have all had the last laugh.  That is a long list for a supposed gold medal threat.

I'm not giving up yet, but he has regressed.  He is losing to guys he used to beat.  He seems to be a great young man, and has a great wrestling mind.  Why hasn't he developed a go to offense?  Why do guys get to his legs so easily?  He has taken two years to focus exclusively on freestyle... where are the results?

9 hours ago, AHamilton said:

4th in Olympic trials.  Cadet worlds was a long time ago. Has he scored off his own attack since cadet worlds?   He seems to be regressing.  Losses to JO, McKenna, and Lee have been unavenged.  Losing to people older than him and younger than him... and these are all guys he beat a few years ago. Probably should take Coach Koll's advice and get on with his life. 

Couldn't agree more.  It's very rare you see any improvement from an athlete once they hit that drinking age.  All down hill from there.

35 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Couldn't agree more.  It's very rare you see any improvement from an athlete once they hit that drinking age.  All down hill from there.

Hey, the kid is very likable.  Fun to watch, because he's a bit reckless, but extremely creative.  Has a cool last name and an endearing nickname.  I will be very happy if he gets back on track.  It is just that this trend is a bit concerning, and I'm not going to pretend it isn't happening.

4 hours ago, Boquist said:

Chances are a lot higher for grad school, especially for something like engineering. Many masters programs are not nearly as competitive to get into as undergrad and transfer. That is, programs that are not Ph.D., MBA, MD, or JD.

Spot on. Basically, if a degree is a ticket to making real money, admissions is highly competitive. Some professional degrees at Stanford are as coveted as the undergrad degree. For other graduate degrees that basically adorn a resume but don’t provide a clear path to career growth, it’s much, much less competitive. Some masters level degrees let in 1/3 of applicants due limited general interest from applicants. The MD program? They might let 3% in a year, and that’s from an already self-selected group of elite applicants. 

58 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Hey, the kid is very likable.  Fun to watch, because he's a bit reckless, but extremely creative.  Has a cool last name and an endearing nickname.  I will be very happy if he gets back on track.  It is just that this trend is a bit concerning, and I'm not going to pretend it isn't happening.

Agreed, I thought between 19 WTT and 21 trials he would have separated from the pack.  But he's not anywhere near the point of "probably should move on with life".  He's 22.  Lets not get crazy.