Sign in to follow this  
simple

I really enjoyed the Cornell era

3 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

The odds are most of the guys will transfer. It’s important that the next coach is able to rebuild, but he will be in a good position to do so. 

People who think that even more than 1-2 will even be able to transfer to Stanford know very little about how hard it is to transfer to Stanford.  Unless Koll managed to weave "admissions decision veto power" into his contract, he will have far tougher sledding both for transfers and for undergrad admissions than anyone can fathom on this thread.  And I'm not slighting anyone....I'm just pointing it out.

31 minutes ago, Hey Now said:

People who think that even more than 1-2 will even be able to transfer to Stanford know very little about how hard it is to transfer to Stanford.  Unless Koll managed to weave "admissions decision veto power" into his contract, he will have far tougher sledding both for transfers and for undergrad admissions than anyone can fathom on this thread.  And I'm not slighting anyone....I'm just pointing it out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_University

Jane and Leland Stanford modeled their university after the great eastern universities, most specifically Cornell University. Stanford was referred to as the "Cornell of the West" in 1891 due to a majority of its faculty being former Cornell affiliates (professors, alumni, or both), including its first president, David Starr Jordan, and second president, John Casper Branner. 

2 hours ago, Hey Now said:

Fathoming is not that hard - and Koll has plenty of experience in managing admissions issues that are similar even if not identical.

4 hours ago, Hey Now said:

I'm glad to see that Yianni isn't transferring. It would be cool if enough guys stay at Cornell for the program to not have too much of a drop.  I doubt Koll agreed to the job without some expectation that Stanford would move a bit on their admission standards though..Unless he really was desperate to get out of Ithaca.  It will be almost impossible to build the program without it, and I doubt they brought him in to keep doing things as they have for the past decade.  

6 hours ago, Drew87 said:

I hope so, Grey has definitely earned his spot.  My thinking on the transfer front was they just lost their big guy coach and now their head coach.  Most of their new firepower is up top.

Grey is great, but lower, middle, and upperweight wrestling are all really different because technique and leverage are so different across weights and body types.  Teams excel where they have good coaches at those weights.

I hope they get someone new who is purely a coach for those weights, since Dake will be busy.

Dake may be busy but he is still a pretty solid draw.

1 hour ago, AHamilton said:

I talked to a pretty good and relatively recent Ivy grad today.  He mentioned how Princeton was nipping at Cornell's heels prior to this season and how it may have been a good move to get out of Dodge while the Big Red were still on top.

Princeton did win the last dual meet vs Cornell, but don't kid yourself - they have a LONG way to go before they are on equal footing with where Cornell has been.  That doesn't mean Cornell won't come down to Princeton's level with Koll gone, but to suggest that "it may have been a good move to get out of Dodge while the Big Red were still on top." is really pretty ludicrous.

Edited by red blades

1 hour ago, AHamilton said:

I talked to a pretty good and relatively recent Ivy grad today.  He mentioned how Princeton was nipping at Cornell's heels prior to this season and how it may have been a good move to get out of Dodge while the Big Red were still on top.

Cornell will continue to crush Princeton for the foreseeable future.  Assuming Cornell’s best guys aren’t training for the Olympics.

31 minutes ago, red blades said:

Princeton did win the last dual meet vs Cornell, but don't kid yourself - they have a LONG way to go before they are on equal footing with where Cornell has been.  That doesn't mean Cornell won't come down to Princeton's level with Koll gone, but to suggest that "it may have been a good move to get out of Dodge while the Big Red were still on top." is really pretty ludicrous.

Hey... it wasn't my statement, just relaying what a fairly recent Ivy round of 12 guy told me.  He also didn't say "next year" or any such thing.  he basically said that it is on its way...

3 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Hey... it wasn't my statement, just relaying what a fairly recent Ivy round of 12 guy told me.

Understood - and please do relay the response! ;-)

Seriously, though - good things are happening at Princeton, and they will be pressing Cornell and Lehigh (yes, they are still hanging in there) for a share of honors in the EIWA.  

Princeton has a few advantages over Cornell, including academic prestige and the best financial aid package in the world (better than any Ivy’s). Lack of scholarships is a nonissue at Princeton in particular, which is part of the reason why it’s probably the most successful Ivy in overall athletics. Tiger wrestling also has a significantly younger key patron in Mike Novogratz than Cornell does in Steve Friedman, who might be done after the building renovation. It’s also starting to get Cornell-like preference for wrestling, although not as much yet. 

On the flip side, Novogratz appears to be balls deep in crypto, not exactly the kind of asset you want to bet future funding on, there is no institutionalized grayshirting yet, and the coaching staff hasn’t proven its ability to produce champions and world team members (or even threats). 

Princeton could make a Stanford-like game-changing move if it stole Dake, for example. Cox is already there part-time. And Novogratz has that kind of money. Not saying it happens, but we’ve learned in the past year or so that literally anything can happen. Snyder goes to PSU, JB ends up at Penn, of all places, and then Stanford cuts wrestling only to resurrect it with friggin’ Rob Koll at the helm bagging a record-breaking package. Anything can happen now, and I love it.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

3 hours ago, red blades said:

we had 3 guys on Olympic redshirt and even then were one late takedown at 184 from the dual. that said, it's become a hell of a program. 

On 5/29/2021 at 7:30 PM, TripNSweep said:

They should hire Steve Martin. It would at least be a lot of fun to watch. 

Most underrated comment. Love or hate him. And I’ve heard plenty of both. It waould be amazing to watch

Most underrated comment. Love or hate him. And I’ve heard plenty of both. It would be amazing to watch

Most underrated comment. Love or hate him. And I’ve heard plenty of both. It would be amazing to watch

On 5/29/2021 at 6:07 PM, Billyhoyle said:

The odds are most of the guys will transfer. It’s important that the next coach is able to rebuild, but he will be in a good position to do so. 

I think Yanni and Arujau like Grey a lot....I could see them staying.