headshuck

I really enjoyed the merge 2 teams era.

43 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Move over Iowa and Penn State with your merging teams to win titles.

In the new era, you eliminate your team, gain national attention, raise millions from donors to spend rebuilding your team to win titles.

Stanford winning a title would be cool though... Id rather not see Koll at the helm.

26 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I've got to say I'm surprised Stanford went big and went after Koll. If I was going big it would be Cael or nobody. Koll is a helluva coach but no way he rates twice the pay that Cael does. 

Disagree. Koll is better for Stanford than Cael. It takes a special person to navigate the politics at an academically elite school. As I said in another thread, Cael is a wrestling demigod (and the better wrestling coach) but Koll is the rare combo of wrestling, business, and charisma. Koll deserves every dollar he got in that package and will take Stanford to as high a level as possible. He is probably the only coach who can do so. 

Just now, wrestlingnerd said:

Disagree. Koll is better for Stanford than Cael. It takes a special person to navigate the politics at an academically elite school. As I said in another thread, Cael is a wrestling demigod (and the better wrestling coach) but Koll is the rare combo of wrestling, business, and charisma. Koll deserves every dollar he got in that package and will take Stanford to as high a level as possible. He is probably the only coach who can do so. 

I suspect that Cael is probably better at everything you listed than you believe he is. Cael comes off, to me at least, as VERY smart and savvy. I don't think Cael would have any problem navigating the donors, administration, etc.  But perhaps you are right and Koll is the guy for Stanford. I'd be thrilled if Stanford started cranking out top 5 teams every year like Koll did at Cornell. 

41 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I suspect that Cael is probably better at everything you listed than you believe he is. Cael comes off, to me at least, as VERY smart and savvy. I don't think Cael would have any problem navigating the donors, administration, etc.  But perhaps you are right and Koll is the guy for Stanford. I'd be thrilled if Stanford started cranking out top 5 teams every year like Koll did at Cornell. 

I am a big fan of Cael. Tremendous impact on the sport, second only to Gable historically. He does not strike me as having Koll's personality and appeal to non-athletic administrators, which is of critical importance at a school like Stanford. Cael is absolutely the right coach at PSU. But Koll learned a thing or three at Cornell that gives him an enormous advantage at Stanford over even Cael.

3 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I've got to say I'm surprised Stanford went big and went after Koll. If I was going big it would be Cael or nobody. Koll is a helluva coach but no way he rates twice the pay that Cael does. 

It is a premier California school. He deserves the higher pay. Both expectations and cost of living are higher.