Sign in to follow this  
nom

Schools that should be top 10

I saw someone post that Pittt should be a top 10 program ever year. I bet there are more than 10 teams that should be top 10.

I will start.

Penn state

Ohio state

Illinois

Rutgers

Binghampton

A California public (?)

Indiana

Michigan State

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Basically large public schools in wrestling hotbeds is the logic right?

A few things are needed to be a perennial top 10.

-funding

-facilities

-tradition

-staff able to recruit

-staff able to develop

-reasonable academic standards for entry

you can overcome missing a few of those, but not too many. here are the programs i think fit enough of the criteria to reasonably expect to be a top 10 team each year. some of the expected programs could make changes to get there. obviously you cant change location, tradition and academic standards.

PSU, Iowa, Minny, OSU, tOSU, OU, ISU, Pitt, Rutgers, Illinois, Michigan

Missouri will not loose to all the teams listed by anyone so far in any given season with Brian Smith coaching.

lose? you do realize smith has been at mizzou since the fall of '98 and has exactly 4 top 10 finishes?

'07 - 3

'09 - 7

'10 - 10

'13 - 7

they are a team on the cusp of having top 10 expectations, but tradition and location hurt them compared to the other programs that have top 10 expectations.

Top ten every year is a ridiculous expectation for all but the current top three or four all time wrestling kings. It's a reasonable, and occasionally achievable goal of any team considered top 20-25. Team scoring at NCAA's in the 5-15 range is too dramatically effected by a single match or wrestler. Once you're down to the grouping with 3, perhaps 4 placers a single bad draw, luck of upsets enhancing/hurting wrestle back path, injury can make the difference in being solidly in the top ten or somewhat outside. That's the problem with using NCAA placement as the measure of a whole program. Only the top few place teams have the depth remaining in competition by Saturday to truly distinguish themselves from each other. Not as easy an 8th place TEAM as being superior to a 10th or 12th.

How about last year's top 10 list...

I'm a VT fan so biased, but we were 11 last year, broke into the top 10 (10th) this year. The schedule, recruits, facility, and commitment seem to all be where they need to be. I expect we will improve again next year and can't wait to be on someone's top 10 right from the start. BTW thanks for the mention Gonzo!

Stanford

:shock:

If Cornell can do it, then Stanford can do it with a huge state of California and a huge amount of superwrestlers.

Both Cornell and Stanford are Ivy-level. Any wrestler would be crazy not to turn that academics down.

Cornell, Stanford, and Northwestern are the best academic schools that the wrestling world could offer.

I wouldn't turn the offer from Columbia, Penn, Princeton, and Harvard down either.

Stanford

:shock:

If Cornell can do it, then Stanford can do it with a huge state of California and a huge amount of superwrestlers.

Both Cornell and Stanford are Ivy-level. Any wrestler would be crazy not to turn that academics down.

Cornell, Stanford, and Northwestern are the best academic schools that the wrestling world could offer.

Stanford is significantly harder to get accepted to than Cornell. I don't think the fact that Cornell can be a top school says anything about Stanford's ability to do so (for the same reason it doesn't say anything about Princeton or Harvard's ability to do so). Filling a lineup with 10 high quality guys capable of meeting Stanford's admissions standards would be darn near impossible.

If Stanford is significantly harder to get accepted to than Cornell, (which may be true) then I wonder how Stanford was able to grab the Director's Cup every year since 1994-1995 season??

Because they offer over 30 sports, several of which have relatively little national participation. When there are

If Stanford is significantly harder to get accepted to than Cornell, (which may be true) then I wonder how Stanford was able to grab the Director's Cup every year since 1994-1995 season??

That's interesting and I didn't know that. Also of note is that Williams, the hardest d3 college to get into (save MIT), wins the D3 directors cup almost every year. My guess, although I could be wrong, is that their success is largely in the preppier and more obscure sports.

With that said, one advantage they do have over Ivy schools is that they don't have to follow the Ivy League regulations (i.e. No redshirts, no scholarships, mathematical minimum for who can be accepted, etc.)

That's interesting and I didn't know that. Also of note is that Williams, the hardest d3 college to get into (save MIT), wins the D3 directors cup almost every year. My guess, although I could be wrong, is that their success is largely in the preppier and more obscure sports.

With that said, one advantage they do have over Ivy schools is that they don't have to follow the Ivy League regulations (i.e. No redshirts, no scholarships, mathematical minimum for who can be accepted, etc.)

Who are they? Cornell or Stanford?

Stanford. But, the same can be said of any college that doesn't participate in the Ivy League.

Because they offer over 30 sports, several of which have relatively little national participation. When there are If that is the case, wouldn't Iowa, Ohio State, or Penn State be able to grab the Cup since they have almost same amount of sports as Stanford?

North Carolina was the last team other than Stanford to win the Director's Cup in 1993-1994 season.

Stanford. But, the same can be said of any college that doesn't participate in the Ivy League.

I get it. However, if Stanford has the advantage over Cornell or any Ivy leaguer then wouldn't they be excelling in wrestling over Cornell? That I am puzzled about.

I get it. However, if Stanford has the advantage over Cornell or any Ivy leaguer then wouldn't they be excelling in wrestling over Cornell? That I am puzzled about.

Well that's just it. The school technically isn't held to the Ivy League standards, but they still have there own personal standards to maintain. It's up to the administration and the admissions committee to decide if they want athletes who will win championships or athletes who are academically in line with the selective nature of the university.

With their resources, I'm sure they could draw #1 recruiting classes in just about every sport if they wanted to. However, that would also hamper their academic reputation.

There is also the issue that sub-par student athletes may flunk out. Not every wrestler is Amuchastegui.