Sign in to follow this  
nom

UNC new coach?

He repeated over and over that he was the guy breaking the UNC aspect.  No one else had this news.  Was pretty proud of this aspect. 

He was quite confident about it as well.  But only focused on Koll going there if not Stanford.  He did not talk at all about any of the current UNC coaches or the thinking of the UNC admin.  I too wish he talked more about that.

56 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

Koll interview after getting Stanford job, and some thoughts on UNC at least when he wrestled there......starts at about the 16 and 1/2 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtVUpeB3QUM

Interesting.  He said he spoke with JB for the first time, curious if he is trying to recruit JB to help coach at Stanford. 

1 hour ago, nom said:

He repeated over and over that he was the guy breaking the UNC aspect.  No one else had this news.  Was pretty proud of this aspect. 

He was quite confident about it as well.  But only focused on Koll going there if not Stanford.  He did not talk at all about any of the current UNC coaches or the thinking of the UNC admin.  I too wish he talked more about that.

Long shot - but with the rise of womens wrestling - is it possible Koll would have maybe taken on a wrestling 'director' type role? Something that oversees Mens, Womens, and RTC? Just a thought. 

Also, with his legacy as an athlete at UNC, I could see him maybe have been offered an administrative job at UNC - and taking that opportunity if he really was just wanting out of Cornell. 

After being team Dake and team finger lakes for a long time it sounds like he is looking forward to simply being a coach  of the sport of wrestling, not having to have super strict allegiances to individual athletes.  Dake making the team may have been the final monkey off Koll’s back.

2 hours ago, nom said:

I have to think he was getting this info from Coleman/Ramos. He's very tight with them and nearly accepted a director of wrestling ops type position with them before. I'm guessing it was some sort of assistant/administrative role. I wish he was more specific. Coleman has done a good job. It would be pretty wild if they dumped him for Koll.

10 hours ago, jeffrideal said:

Interesting.  He said he spoke with JB for the first time, curious if he is trying to recruit JB to help coach at Stanford. 

Last I heard, after this Olympic cycle, JB was going back to New Jersey and become a part of an RTC there.....doesn't mean things can't change I guess!!!!

1 hour ago, fadzaev2 said:

Last I heard, after this Olympic cycle, JB was going back to New Jersey and become a part of an RTC there.....doesn't mean things can't change I guess!!!!

Pennsylvania RTC in Philadelphia - use Penn and Drexel facilities.

2 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

I think he's also the same weight as David McFadden now , I think.  Supposedly Penn RTC is trying to get one guy per weight.  I think most people take Burroughs no matter what, but I can't speak for that particular RTC.

6 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

Koll would have been with the RTC at UNC. 

sorry i didn't elaborate on the show. 

Wow.  He was just that far out on Cornell, or is he looking for a parachute?  Because just going to being the RTC coach at UNC vs. program-building at Stanford are completely different jobs, with completely different stress levels.  Also, are Abas, Griffith, and/or Woods staying on?  Hard to imagine leaving when such a high level coach is coming right to them, plus they get to still live in Palo Alto, but they may have been burned too much to stay.

57 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Wow.  He was just that far out on Cornell, or is he looking for a parachute?  Because just going to being the RTC coach at UNC vs. program-building at Stanford are completely different jobs, with completely different stress levels.  Also, are Abas, Griffith, and/or Woods staying on?  Hard to imagine leaving when such a high level coach is coming right to them, plus they get to still live in Palo Alto, but they may have been burned too much to stay.

Koll said on Vincenzos podcast that he talked to them and said he was only coming if they stayed and he was very confident they’ll stay. 

Agree completely that RTC vs rebuilding a program with now crazy funding and expectations is an odd top 2

11 hours ago, VakAttack said:

In addition to cancelling the season, intense covid responsibilities, losing the Deans, apparently the administration had recently come knocking asking if Koll had been holding off campus workouts with his guys and that really alienated him.

Willie went through a bunch of reasons that contributed on his show. Another reason he mentioned was a coming crackdown from the Ivies/EIWA on Cornell's admissions process as well as an inter-athletic department power struggle after next year when the AD, who Koll is extremely tight with, is expected to retire. I guess the other coaches at Cornell felt like the wrestling team got too much favoritism. Seemed like a good time to get out.

18 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

In addition to cancelling the season, intense covid responsibilities, losing the Deans, apparently the administration had recently come knocking asking if Koll had been holding off campus workouts with his guys and that really alienated him.

Willie went through a bunch of reasons that contributed on his show. Another reason he mentioned was a coming crackdown from the Ivies/EIWA on Cornell's admissions process as well as an inter-athletic department power struggle after next year when the AD, who Koll is extremely tight with, is expected to retire. I guess the other coaches at Cornell felt like the wrestling team got too much favoritism. Seemed like a good time to get out.

Wow.  Are we still sure that Cornell is set up for continued greatness?

I remember Edinboro used to be really, really good.

36 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Wow.  Are we still sure that Cornell is set up for continued greatness?

I remember Edinboro used to be really, really good.

I think they'll be fine. Edinboro fell because their coach left because the entire college is on the verge of getting closed down. As an institution, Cornell is in a far better place. They still have great resources and are replacing Koll with one of the premier assistants in the country that already has buy in with the current guys. 

Will they be as good as they were under Koll? Probably not, but that's because he's been one of the top 4 coaches in the country for 15-20 years. It's not a fair standard. But I think they'll still recruit well and put out great wrestlers. An ivy league education with the tradition of the program is still going to be very appealing.

One thing that might hurt them a little that they can't control is the rise of Princeton and Penn. Those programs are going to continue to eat into the recruiting pool that Cornell has dominated. Great for the sport though. Would love to see an ivy league 3-headed monster.

Just now, uncle bernard said:

I think they'll be fine. Edinboro fell because their coach left because the entire college is on the verge of getting closed down. As an institution, Cornell is in a far better place. They still have great resources and are replacing Koll with one of the premier assistants in the country that already has buy in with the current guys. 

Will they be as good as they were under Koll? Probably not, but that's because he's been one of the top 4 coaches in the country for 15-20 years. It's not a fair standard. But I think they'll still recruit well and put out great wrestlers. An ivy league education with the tradition of the program is still going to be very appealing.

One thing that might hurt them a little that they can't control is the rise of Princeton and Penn. Those programs are going to continue to eat into the recruiting pool that Cornell has dominated. Great for the sport though. Would love to see an ivy league 3-headed monster.

If other Ivies/EIWA are trying to crackdown on Cornell recruiting, and there is about to be war within the athletic department... there could be a significant fall off.  Meanwhile, here come Princeton and Penn.  

The Edinboro points wasn't about Cornell as an institution, but was about how changes from outside the wrestling team can have dramatic effects on the wrestling program.  If Cornell isn't able to continue doing business as it was being done, there could be issues.

4 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

If other Ivies/EIWA are trying to crackdown on Cornell recruiting, and there is about to be war within the athletic department... there could be a significant fall off.  Meanwhile, here come Princeton and Penn.  

The Edinboro points wasn't about Cornell as an institution, but was about how changes from outside the wrestling team can have dramatic effects on the wrestling program.  If Cornell isn't able to continue doing business as it was being done, there could be issues.

All good points. I think it's probably reasonable to expect some regression from Cornell, but I would be surprised if they aren't still a perennial top 10 team for a bit. They've got a bunch of young horses in the stable for the next 4-5 years at least.