NJDan

Koll's Last Cornell E-mail blast

SENT AT 8 AM TODAY: 

I knew this day would come and I have envisioned just exactly what and how I would say goodbye to Cornell, and to all the friends I have made over the past 32 years. Now that the time has arrived I find it much more difficult to put to words how much I appreciate every one of you. 

Rachel and I have decided to open up a new chapter in our lives. We have decided to move west, where I have accepted the coaching position at Stanford. On a personal level this was simply the most difficult decision I have ever had to make. I choose to accept the Stanford position primarily because the job offers a unique challenge to build a program that was dropped only last year. This may sound unimaginable to many, but this opportunity allows me to draw upon the unique skill-set I have developed over the past 32 years. Cornell Wrestling has rewritten the “how to build a program” manual and this is what I love most about my job. This opportunity to apply the coaching knowledge I acquired, in order to thrive at Cornell, is incredibly exciting to me. I absolutely love and thrive in the building aspect of my job, and I need this challenge to stay motivated and to thrive. When I look back at all we have done at Cornell, I realize we have achieved almost every goal we set out to reach, minus an NCAA team title. I always wanted to leave on top and I am proud to know I am leaving Cornell in a position where they will continue to compete at the very highest level. 

I am thrilled that Mike Grey will remain at Cornell and take over the reins. Mike is one of the most loyal, intelligent and skilled coaches that I have every had the pleasure to work with. The time is right for Mike to make this program his own, and with your continued support I believe he can achieve the one goal that remained allusive, that being the NCAA title. I love and appreciate all of you more than you could possibly imagine. The door will always be open if you ever find yourself in Palo Alto! 

You friend always, 

Rob

3 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

"The door will always be open..."

How potent will this recruitment pitch be to his former grapplers that have a free transfer left?

We will see!  However, in his appearance on the Baaschamania podcast he did talk about the difficulty of athletes transferring into Stanford.  Sounds like a very rare occurrence.  

1 minute ago, OR said:

We will see!  However, in his appearance on the Baaschamania podcast he did talk about the difficulty of athletes transferring into Stanford.  Sounds like a very rare occurrence.  

Easily my 2nd favorite Podcast behind The Bloodround.

53 minutes ago, OR said:

Latest IPEDS data suggests that in the fall of 2019 there were 20 total undergraduate transfers at Stanford compared with 535 at Cornell, so it would seem that is the case.

I don't know if the situation is similar in New York, but in Virginia the top schools like UVA and Virginia Tech are required to accept in-state CC transfers with GPAs of 3.4 or higher.  Not the easiest thing to do, but probably easier than the 1400 SATs and the "unique" background that UVA wants in its applicants.  Cornell's Ag school may be required to accept New York CC transfers above a given GPA, which would explain such a high transfer rate.

6 minutes ago, jdalu75 said:

I don't know if the situation is similar in New York, but in Virginia the top schools like UVA and Virginia Tech are required to accept in-state CC transfers with GPAs of 3.4 or higher.  Not the easiest thing to do, but probably easier than the 1400 SATs and the "unique" background that UVA wants in its applicants.  Cornell's Ag school may be required to accept New York CC transfers above a given GPA, which would explain such a high transfer rate.

Virginia and Tech are both state schools. California wouldn't dictate Stanford's transfer policy.

Edit: Nevermind - I see what you were replying to. I will tell you that I did know a lot of in-state transfers at Cornell - including me.

Edited by ugarte

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2021 at 7:24 PM, jdalu75 said:

Beyond the obvious difference in public vs. private, I don't believe any such requirement exists for Cornell CALS.  

Stanford, Harvard, Princeton, MIT, Yale, and a couple of others, are notoriously difficult to transfer into.  Cornell isn't in the same league as those institutions (figuratively), even if they are quite literally in the same league as Harvard and Princeton.  

Cornell has almost triple the amount of undergrad students as Stanford, a slightly lower retention rate, and less space constraints--thus, significantly higher capacity for transfers.  As a result they accept about 18% of transfer applicants, vs. Harvard and Stanford at < 3%.

When you're an institution the caliber of Stanford and you're only admitting a handful of undergrad transfers every year, it's pretty easy to imagine why wrestling wouldn't exactly be given first priority.  

On 6/1/2021 at 7:24 PM, jdalu75 said:

Don't think I'd characterize Vtech as a "top school" unless you're talking about size and not quality.  UVA admits about 24% of its applicants.  Vtech admits 70%.  No mystery as to why the latter is a wrestling power.

You believe he can achieve the one goal that remained "elusive", Coach Koll, not "allusive". Allusive means containing allusions and having references to something implied or inferred. Elusive means difficult to achieve. I expect Coach Koll meant the second. 

14 hours ago, pa in taiwan said:

You believe he can achieve the one goal that remained "elusive", Coach Koll, not "allusive". Allusive means containing allusions and having references to something implied or inferred. Elusive means difficult to achieve. I expect Coach Koll meant the second. 

Give the guy a break. He went to a state school... in the south... ;)

16 hours ago, pa in taiwan said:

By “pa” I assume you mean PA as in Pennsylvania, in this case as in a Pennsylvanian, rather than “pa” as in “papa” meaning father.  By “in” I assume you mean living in rather than implying that Pennsylvania, too, is a further claimed territory of the government of the Republic of China.  

It could be you are from Pennsylvania and live in Taiwan, you are yourself a father living in Taiwan, your father lives in Taiwan, or you believe that Pennsylvania is  a part of Taiwan.

I assume you don’t mean the fourth.