Stl

Jordan Oliver to NYCRTC

I saw that Jordan Oliver is joining the NYCRTC. Any background on the switch? As someone who isn't too familiar with JO's training situation, it seemed like UNC was a good spot and he finally made an Olympic/World team, so I'm surprised he's deciding to switch now.

Why is there a NYC RTC in the first place? it's not as if Columbia has a leading program. There is no high-level high school wrestling in the city. Is it so people can get real jobs in Manhattan and still wrestle?

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

So much for Minnow's JO to NJ scoop.

Did he already delete it all?  If Minnow deletes a scoop that wasn't a scoop and nobody screenshot it did it really happen?

Well I think NJRTC and NYRTC just combined...

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Well I think NJRTC and NYRTC just combined...

The members of mass media are not ready to talk about Minnow being correct twice in one week.

Let's simmer down.

14 hours ago, NJDan said:

Why is there a NYC RTC in the first place? it's not as if Columbia has a leading program. There is no high-level high school wrestling in the city. Is it so people can get real jobs in Manhattan and still wrestle?

Maybe to bring in world class athletes to the university wrestling room, thereby improving the status of the University while also giving senior level athletes the opportunity to continue training and competing under sponsorship ($), all in all contributing to the overall improvement of wrestling in that local area, university, and the country?  AKA...growing the sport?  

(New programs are a good thing)

18 hours ago, NJDan said:

It's actually a really good RTC. Two elite coaches in Kendall Cross and Valentin Kalika. Chamizo, Khinchegasvilli, Finesilver, Mack, and Taffur train there. I think Jack Mueller was there at one point. 

It's a really attractive place for guys to live and train. Chamizo like NYC. That's why he's there. 

Why on earth wouldn't Columbia want to host an RTC? You don't want Tanelli to try to improve the program?

On 6/2/2021 at 7:23 PM, Henry said:

How many RTCs has JO been at? ASU, Cornel, UNC? 

He gets a new tattoo at each new RTC. 

Kind of like putting a sticker on your suitcase or a patch on your backpack when you visit another country. 

He's hoping to land at all 20 RTCs (or however many there are) and win a free weekend in Easton. 

4 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

He gets a new tattoo at each new RTC. 

Kind of like putting a sticker on your suitcase or a patch on your backpack when you visit another country. 

He's hoping to land at all 20 RTCs (or however many there are) and win a free weekend in Easton. 

2nd prize is 2 weeks in Easton! (I'm from Phillipsburg!)

2 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

How long before JO steps away from the mat and steps out into the "work force"?  You can only wrestle soooo long.

JO is going to seamlessly transition to a reality TV star and household name. Step 1: win his season of The Biggest Loser when he hits the family buffet two days before the series finale and then hits a world record by dropping 36kg in 48 hours

5 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

How long before JO steps away from the mat and steps out into the "work force"?  You can only wrestle soooo long.

Whenever he does, he'll have plenty of coaching opportunities.  

It's a little unfortunate.  I get why he's trying to stick it out through this quad, but by the time '24 rolls around he'll be older than JB is currently--and he's no JB. 

He might go down as one of our best wrestlers to never compete on a World/Olympic team. 

Will his knee be OK for the world championships later this year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 6/5/2021 at 9:44 AM, WrestleNJ said:

He might go down as one of our best wrestlers to never compete on a World/Olympic team. 

Some names that come to mind for that list - Pat Smith, Wade Schalles, Carlton Haselrig, Jim Zalesky, Greg Jones, J Rosholt, Gabe Dean, R Bonomo, Its a long list :)