Henry

International Ref Pay?

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I gotta take issue with this.  Yeah it was a bad era as far as rule set goes.  In both styles, it was an era of look for one good scoring opportunity, and play really good defense the rest of the way.  I'll recall in one of the world championships right around there (can't remember exact year) but it was a freestyle final...Georgian vs Iraninan.  Georgian won on one scoring attempt the whole match.....arm throw out of the clinch.  Was clear as day that was the game plan for the whole match....get to the clinch, hit the arm throw, play defense for 5'50 seconds.  Made me sick.

So why do I take issue with your statement?  Because as much as we don't like the ruleset, it was the ruleset.  Karelin had 9 minutes to score.  Rulon was the first person in the history of Karelin's career to keep him from doing so.  And they were definitely giving Karelin his opportunities to do so. Regardless of what any of us think of the ruleset or the game plan,  Rulon wasn't handed anything. 

He did wrestle Karelin better than anyone ever had, I on principle do not like the notion that a coinflip can decide anything definitively in wrestling, or that a wrestler can play goalie the entire match and win said match.  

In my mind wrestling is about proving that you are the superior individual on the mat within whatever criteria are set forth in that era.  Rulon didn’t prove that against Karelin.  He proved that they may be equals, but if the coinflip had gone the other way, Karelin wins that match and we don’t talk about Rulon that much.

4 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

He did wrestle Karelin better than anyone ever had, I on principle do not like the notion that a coinflip can decide anything definitively in wrestling, or that a wrestler can play goalie the entire match and win said match.  

In my mind wrestling is about proving that you are the superior individual on the mat within whatever criteria are set forth in that era.  Rulon didn’t prove that against Karelin.  He proved that they may be equals, but if the coinflip had gone the other way, Karelin wins that match and we don’t talk about Rulon that much.

Did you mean to quote and send the same message a second time, or was that an error?

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Did you mean to quote and send the same message a second time, or was that an error?

No that was definitely an error, my phone has had ghosts in it all day today.

1 hour ago, Henry said:

So if international refs don't make any money,  and it costs them money, why do they do it? 

Love of the sport. Though because of that it gives them a very easy out and/or excuse if they screw up

On 6/19/2021 at 2:46 PM, Henry said:

So if international refs don't make any money,  and it costs them money, why do they do it? 

Because the love the sport, they love the relationship building that comes with it. They love traveling the world on someone else’s dime. (At least the travel and lodging expense on someone else’s dime). People do a lot of things they don’t get paid for, and in some cases come out of pocket a little. 

I have been to several international tournaments representing the USA.  The referees get taken care of much better than the athletes do.  While they may not receive a paycheck in these situations, they benefit greatly.  Fully paid 2 week vacation to xyz destination in a 4-5 star hotel with complete access to UWW "resources".

I have been to several international tournaments representing the USA.  The referees get taken care of much better than the athletes do.  While they may not receive a paycheck in these situations, they benefit greatly.  Fully paid 2 week vacation to xyz destination in a 4-5 star hotel with complete access to UWW "resources".

To be fair, some of those destinations are better than others. Tashkent and Pattaya are among two of the least desirable places I’ve ever been. The new regime has done better in putting events in places that aren’t technologically impaired. Or gastrointestinally impaired.

On 6/8/2021 at 11:06 AM, LJB said:

with the way real wrestling is interpreted, 3 man mechanics is almost required in any high level match... even then officials do not always get it right...

i was the judge on a mat about a month ago and called the points correctly, but, in video review the camera angle did not pick up the correct action and the call was overturned... i talked with our head official afterwards and explained the situation... but you can only do what you can do...

with that being said, we (USAW) have a ton of awful officials that we have to deal with because you just can not get people to go everywhere... i sat mat side of all the the cadet world team finals and was absolutely horrified who they had officiating and the constant issues because of that crew... point being, officials need to be criticized and held accountable... it is the only way to weed out the  chaff from the wheat... 

i had a UWW official try and tell me that you can't be passive on your feet in greco... this was several years ago, but, i will never look at that guy the same ever again...

i will say, sionce USAW has adopted the brick and coaches are no longer able to plead a case and it becomes a straight video reveiw, officials are no longer able to let their egos get in the way of getting the right call, so, it is improving...

LJB, Where are you from? There is no way an official told you that about passivity in greco. That's insane. Also, I was there coaching at the cadet trials and it was interesting.

On 6/28/2021 at 6:05 AM, dwayne henry said:

LJB, Where are you from? There is no way an official told you that about passivity in greco. That's insane. Also, I was there coaching at the cadet trials and it was interesting.

Colorado...

and yes, he absolutely did try and tell me that... I had to walk away because it was totally ridiculous...

On 6/21/2021 at 11:08 PM, olddirty said:

You are out of your mind, Matt.