Sign in to follow this  
MIZ-DPT

2016 Flowrestling Big Board

So I was listening to one of the FRL's and Ben Askren was talking about how he wished there was a way that they could compare the Top 100 Big Board and see who excelled vs who fell off and recruits that they missed. I had some free time so I decided to put it all together. I made a scoring system and went through the top 100 and then tried to find other relevant wrestlers who would have results that put them up there. 

My scoring system basically went from a top career score of 100. This means that the top score a wrestler could get was 25 points as a national champ, so a 4x national champ would be a perfect score. Then I tried to find an appropriate scaling system to rank other results which led me to this. 

Champ 25
2nd 23
3rd 20
4th 18
5th 15
6th 12
7th 10
8th 8
R12 5
Qualifier 3
Starter 2

The weird part was the 2020 tournament being cancelled, I decided to just count them as qualifiers and not score them on their seeding or anything. Then there are some guys that also have another year of eligibility with how they used redshirts so their score isn't perfect. This led to a lot of highly ranked guys or near AA's miss out on more points. I won't attach the full file because I don't want Flo to get mad about me posting their big board, but I will highlight some of the results. Two guys finished exactly where they were ranked, Mark Hall at #1 and Josh Hokit at #24. 

Biggest Risers: 

11 guys had a ranking increase of 50+. Tariq Wilson was the highest ranked initially at #66 and finished ranked at #5. These next 5 all had the biggest changes from initial rankings. 

Ryan Deakin: #97 -> #9

Taylor Venz: #96 -> #13

Sebastian Rivera: #75 -> #3

Montori Bridges: #93 -> #31

Max Dean: #74 -> #12

Biggest Fallers: 

7 guys had a ranking decrease of 50+. Mason Manville was the highest ranked initially at #5 and finished with zero points which tied for last along with 20 others. These next 5 all had the biggest changes from initial rankings. 

Rudy Yates: #17 -> Finished with zero points

Zander Wick: #26 -> Finished with zero points

Osa Odighuzwa: #28 -> Finished with zero points (Played football at UCLA)

Beau Breske: #28 -> #66

Tyshawn White: #33 -> #85

Best Unranked: 

11 wrestlers scored double digit points despite not making the board. This includes two AA finishes, three Round of 12 finishes, and 6 of the top 7 are coming back. 

Drew Hildebrandt: NR -> #15

Louie Hayes: NR -> #27

Andrew McNally: NR -> #33

Gage Curry: NR -> #35

Josh Heil: -> #36

Notable Results: 

These are just some relevant names that I found interesting. 

Evan Wick: #25 -> #8 (Has another year of eligibility)

Luke Pletcher: #9 -> #7 (Was seeded 1st in 2020)

Isaiah White: #10 -> #20 (National Champ for Notre Dame in 2017)

There's a lot of guys who just kind of disappeared or had injuries, while others went and wrestled at different divisions and had success. This is not supposed to say anything about any of these guys as wrestlers, I just like to look at numbers and see how things pan out. I sent the whole doc to flo to see if they'd be interested in it but never heard back so I figured I'd post it here!

9 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

You gave Hall the Championship in 2020?  I thought you said you only figured them as qualifiers?

Fixed, I was messing around with it before just to see how close he would've been to a "perfect score" if he had won.

1 hour ago, BobDole said:

Crazy to think only two wrestlers outside the top 100 were All-Americans with a few having a shot this next year.

Yeah I was actually kind of surprised by that unless I missed someone. I'll be curious to see if that's a trend that holds up over other years. Unfortunately 2016 was the earliest big board I could find.

1 minute ago, MIZ-DPT said:

Fixed, I was messing around with it before just to see how close he would've been to a "perfect score" if he had won.

No worries.  I wasn't being critical and figured it was something like that.  So, it looks like Hidlay and Dean have a decent chance to pass Hall before they are done.  I don't think anyone else has a chance.

2 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

No worries.  I wasn't being critical and figured it was something like that.  So, it looks like Hidlay and Dean have a decent chance to pass Hall before they are done.  I don't think anyone else has a chance.

Mathematically I think the only other ones would be Sebastian Rivera if he at least made the finals or Suriano if he ever does come back. I could see Hidlay and Dean both doing it.

3 hours ago, MIZ-DPT said:

So I was listening to one of the FRL's and Ben Askren was talking about how he wished there was a way that they could compare the Top 100 Big Board and see who excelled vs who fell off and recruits that they missed. I had some free time so I decided to put it all together. I made a scoring system and went through the top 100 and then tried to find other relevant wrestlers who would have results that put them up there. 

Damn, is Askren dumb or just lazy? That's rhetorical, I know he's dumb. But does he not know he can go back and look at all the top 100 recruits and check each recruit 1 by 1 on wrestlestat? 

Thanks for compiling the information,  MIS-DPT. 

Edited by TobusRex