OBXWrestler

Damion Hahn to Stanford?

5 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Hahn's base salary is $140,000 and he gets to spend it in a low-cost area. What would Stanford have to offer to lure him away?

I get that SDSU supports their program, but the opportunity to be handed the reigns at a school like Stanford once Koll hangs it up in 5-6 years has to be quite enticing. I also think Stanford can provide him with housing as long as he's on staff.

27 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Hahn's base salary is $140,000 and he gets to spend it in a low-cost area. What would Stanford have to offer to lure him away?

Seriously, South Dakota sucks balls, no other way to say it. I can't even stand driving through that state, let alone living there. There ain't jack **** to do in the state. Yeah, there's Mt Rushmore, but Hahn has to drive the entire length of the state to get there, plus how many times can you look at Mt Rushmore without getting bored? In contrast Palo Alto is a very nice city located in a beautiful area which is close enough to big cities so you can do anything you want. Yeah, house prices are high in Palo Alto, but there's no rules against renting. 

32 minutes ago, IronChef said:

They raised 12 mil in 10 minutes to help save the program. I’m sure they could make an enticing offer 

9 minutes ago, gobraves101905 said:

They raised 12 mil in 10 minutes to help save the program. I’m sure they could make an enticing offer 

Well Koll did say they need to call 400 people in order to actually get that money...

Smart move by Koll, if it's true. Hahn is a two-time NCAA champ. He is funny (and not just funny looking) though he is that, too. I think Cornell would have hired him instead of Grey if they didn't feel the need to act immediately.

16 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Seriously, South Dakota sucks balls, no other way to say it. I can't even stand driving through that state, let alone living there. There ain't jack **** to do in the state. 

On the other hand, there's always the possibility of an attack by the Sioux as you drive through South Dakota.  That's always exciting.

To me it makes sense if Hahn would rather be able to be more wrestling coach and less administrator for 5-7 years or so.  If he likes the daily work that he did in his prior job more than the daily work he does in his current job, that seems to me to be the most important consideration.  I think it would be a mistake to go with his focus being that he could eventually be the Stanford head coach.  He's already head coach at a real program that hasn't treated its athletes and coaches like crap less than a year ago.

34 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Seriously, South Dakota sucks balls, no other way to say it. I can't even stand driving through that state, let alone living there. There ain't jack **** to do in the state. Yeah, there's Mt Rushmore, but Hahn has to drive the entire length of the state to get there, plus how many times can you look at Mt Rushmore without getting bored? In contrast Palo Alto is a very nice city located in a beautiful area which is close enough to big cities so you can do anything you want. Yeah, house prices are high in Palo Alto, but there's no rules against renting. 

But not to everybody. Hahn said one of the motivations for taking that job was so his wife could move back to the region and be close to family.

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

But not to everybody. Hahn said one of the motivations for taking that job was so his wife could move back to the region and be close to family.

I get that, the influence family can have on where you locate is hard to measure.

Outside of family, I really struggle to see the appeal of living in Brookings.  That is just me though.  

4 minutes ago, OR said:

I get that, the influence family can have on where you locate is hard to measure.

Outside of family, I really struggle to see the appeal of living in Brookings.  That is just me though.  

Haven't been there, but looks to me like an idyllic American town.  Looks like the kind of place I would love to live personally.  

Brookings_SD_3.jpg

12 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Haven't been there, but looks to me like an idyllic American town.  Looks like the kind of place I would love to live personally.  

Brookings_SD_3.jpg

Aight, and what is it like for the 9 months of the year it isn’t nice outside?  I never trust a place that is beautiful and completely comfortable during the summer...means you work hard to earn it with the other seasons.

Some wikipedia info on the two cities (Palo Alto, Ca. and Vermillion, SD). Palo Alto is a much nicer area than Vermillion. Best of all Palo Alto is still livable in winter and you don't have to live inside like an Eskimo waiting out a blizzard. Plus summers in Palo Alto are fairly mild compared to summers in South Dakota (ocean breeze helps cool it down). 

Palo Alto

According to a 2007 estimate, the median income for a household in the city was $119,046, and the median income for a family was $153,197.[43] Males had a median income of $91,051 versus $60,202 for females. The per capita income for the city was $56,257. About 3.2% of families and 4.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.0% of those under age 18 and 5.0% of those age 65 or over.

Vermin Vermillion

As of 2000 the median income for a household in the city was $24,095, and the median income for a family was $40,109. Males had a median income of $28,180 versus $20,975 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,909. 26.2% of the population and 16.2% of families were below the poverty line. Out of the total people living in poverty, 19.0% are under the age of 18 and 14.8% are 65 or older.

Aight, and what is it like for the 9 months of the year it isn’t nice outside?  I never trust a place that is beautiful and completely comfortable during the summer...means you work hard to earn it with the other seasons.
Great state for ice fishing. Definitely not the best, but it definitely has more ice than Palo Alto.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk