OBXWrestler

Damion Hahn to Stanford?

42 minutes ago, RegularStalling said:

In all honesty its wonderful in SD for about 4 months a year. Palo Alto on the other hand...

I've never hung around SD in summer, but I hear it can get pretty miserable. Palo Alto is beautiful 12 months of the year. 

25 minutes ago, mob said:

It would make no sense for Hahn to go to Stanford to be the assistant. He could still get the head job at Stanford when Koll retires.

If this actually does happen, he would likely get the title "associate head coach," not assistant coach, and the offer they give him will make a lot of sense.  

6 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

If this actually does happen, he would likely get the title "associate head coach," not assistant coach, and the offer they give him will make a lot of sense.  

they honored that title in ithaca and in all of his interviews koll said that making sure grey took over the reins at cornell was something important to him.

25 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

It’s still a demotion, but it’s not unheard of and would be believable give Hahn/Koll’s history together.

49 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Some wikipedia info on the two cities (Palo Alto, Ca. and Vermillion, SD). Palo Alto is a much nicer area than Vermillion. Best of all Palo Alto is still livable in winter and you don't have to live inside like an Eskimo waiting out a blizzard. Plus summers in Palo Alto are fairly mild compared to summers in South Dakota (ocean breeze helps cool it down). 

Palo Alto

According to a 2007 estimate, the median income for a household in the city was $119,046, and the median income for a family was $153,197.[43] Males had a median income of $91,051 versus $60,202 for females. The per capita income for the city was $56,257. About 3.2% of families and 4.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.0% of those under age 18 and 5.0% of those age 65 or over.

Vermin Vermillion

As of 2000 the median income for a household in the city was $24,095, and the median income for a family was $40,109. Males had a median income of $28,180 versus $20,975 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,909. 26.2% of the population and 16.2% of families were below the poverty line. Out of the total people living in poverty, 19.0% are under the age of 18 and 14.8% are 65 or older.

Except South Dakota State is in Brookings. South Dakota, the school in Vermillion, does not sponsor wrestling.

3 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Except South Dakota State is in Brookings. South Dakota, the school in Vermillion, does not sponsor wrestling.

D'oh!

Still a pretty poor city when compared to Palo Alto, even farther north than Vermillion, and even further from Mt Rushmore!  I was wrong on the city, true, but the real city doesn't sound much if any better than Vermillion :D 

As of 2000 the median income for a household in the city was $31,266, and the median income for a family was $49,246. Males had a median income of $31,276 versus $22,763 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,028. About 7.3% of families and 18.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.7% of those under age 18 and 6.6% of those age 65 or over.

9 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

D'oh!

Still a pretty poor city when compared to Palo Alto, even farther north than Vermillion, and even further from Mt Rushmore!  I was wrong on the city, true, but the real city doesn't sound much if any better than Vermillion :D 

As of 2000 the median income for a household in the city was $31,266, and the median income for a family was $49,246. Males had a median income of $31,276 versus $22,763 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,028. About 7.3% of families and 18.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.7% of those under age 18 and 6.6% of those age 65 or over.

i wouldnt put too much thought into a single poverty line that does not take into account anything like cost of living

Edited by flyingcement

12 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

i wouldnt put too much thought into a single poverty line that does not take into account anything like cost of living

It also doesn’t take into account that anyone with conservative ideals (no idea about Hahn) would be miserable in CA. I moved from the Midwest to better weather in the south but there is a 0% chance I would ever move to CA. Different strokes for different folks. There’s a reason for the mass exodus from CA. 

5 minutes ago, Chucktown_Luke said:

It also doesn’t take into account that anyone with conservative ideals (no idea about Hahn) would be miserable in CA. I moved from the Midwest to better weather in the south but there is a 0% chance I would ever move to CA. Different strokes for different folks. There’s a reason for the mass exodus from CA. 

I am from the Northeast, seen my fair share of blizzards, done my fair share of shoveling snow, and have lived in southern California for the last five years.  Weather is beautiful here almost every day, but there is something about having a sense of community that is missed.  Neighbors don't know each other, trust each other, that sort of thing.  

6 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Well, Ray Blake just announced he’s not returning.

Another perfect call by Willie on his mailbag reply recently.

"FANTASTIC news from Stanford this week! Whom do you think they will look at for the head coaching position? - @TopicNext

When there is a coaching vacancy, we often come up with lists of viable candidates. However, I've never endorsed a particular guy. I've never wanted to offend any of the contenders and suggest they aren't the right pick.

I'll start now, though. Ray Blake should be the pick and I think going in any different direction would only add insult to what has been a mess.

Alumni? Longest tenured coach on staff? Fought through the chopping block?

Blake checks all those boxes. He's also highly respected in many circles, including but not limited to his native Chicago, which also happens to be hallowed recruiting grounds.

He's both the qualified and the sentimental choice. Could you imagine Stanford putting the program on the chopping block, seeing their former Head Coach Jason Borrelli leave for American, reinstating the program, and then choosing someone who wasn't around for the fight? And oh-by-the-way, the staff produced an NCAA champ.

This is a lay-up."

Edited by DanGerMan

3 hours ago, DanGerMan said:

Another perfect call by Willie on his mailbag reply recently.

"FANTASTIC news from Stanford this week! Whom do you think they will look at for the head coaching position? - @TopicNext

When there is a coaching vacancy, we often come up with lists of viable candidates. However, I've never endorsed a particular guy. I've never wanted to offend any of the contenders and suggest they aren't the right pick.

I'll start now, though. Ray Blake should be the pick and I think going in any different direction would only add insult to what has been a mess.

Alumni? Longest tenured coach on staff? Fought through the chopping block?

Blake checks all those boxes. He's also highly respected in many circles, including but not limited to his native Chicago, which also happens to be hallowed recruiting grounds.

He's both the qualified and the sentimental choice. Could you imagine Stanford putting the program on the chopping block, seeing their former Head Coach Jason Borrelli leave for American, reinstating the program, and then choosing someone who wasn't around for the fight? And oh-by-the-way, the staff produced an NCAA champ.

This is a lay-up."

Come on, man, I doubt anybody realized Koll was a viable option.  I don't think anybody, even a member of Ray Blake's immediate family, would have picked Ray over Rob Koll.

It's also possible that people knew Koll could be the guy, but they were asked not to release it until it was official, so Willie just gave who he thought was the best option of the "official" options.

3 hours ago, Willie Saylor said:

How is that a swing and miss? I said he was a great fit 

Nothing against Ray Blake. I hope he ends up in a better place. A "layup" was the call. Any thoughts on McCoy or Tirapelle?

Edited by DanGerMan

17 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

They raised 12 mil in 10 minutes to help save the program. I’m sure they could make an enticing offer 

They can also drop the program again in 10 minutes (see Fresno State). It was never about the money.

15 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I've never hung around SD in summer, but I hear it can get pretty miserable. Palo Alto is beautiful 12 months of the year. 

Most of us like seasons. I'll take 3 months of Fall in the midwest over 12 months of summer in CA and nothing beats the first snowfall.

11 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Most of us like seasons. I'll take 3 months of Fall in the midwest over 12 months of summer in CA and nothing beats the first snowfall.

I would guess more people than not would take Palo Alto over Brookings if money was no object.   Considering Hahn grew up in NJ, I would guess he would too (but maybe not).

The question is does the increase in COL make up for it.   Brief perusal of real estate sites and it looks like the median home price in Palo Alto (maybe even all of Santa Clara county) vs. Brookings is literally 10x higher.

11 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I would guess more people than not would take Palo Alto over Brookings if money was no object.   Considering Hahn grew up in NJ, I would guess he would too (but maybe not).

The question is does the increase in COL make up for it.   Brief perusal of real estate sites and it looks like the median home price in Palo Alto (maybe even all of Santa Clara county) vs. Brookings is literally 10x higher.

It depends what type of lifestyle you’re looking for mainly.  Stanford could really be a good in between for him of Athletic department with Big Ten aspirations and Cornell type of kids.  

Also, Hahn’s from Lakewood, which is way down south close to the water.  They used to host little kid states every year at one of the schools in Lakewood.

Away from the NYC/Philly Suburbs, NJ gets pretty rural in a hurry, has way more in common with SD than the Palo Alto bay area crowd.