OBXWrestler

Damion Hahn to Stanford?

24 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

It depends what type of lifestyle you’re looking for mainly.  Stanford could really be a good in between for him of Athletic department with Big Ten aspirations and Cornell type of kids.  

Also, Hahn’s from Lakewood, which is way down south close to the water.  They used to host little kid states every year at one of the schools in Lakewood.

Away from the NYC/Philly Suburbs, NJ gets pretty rural in a hurry, has way more in common with SD than the Palo Alto bay area crowd.

Lakewood isn't "way down south," it's pretty much dead center of NJ (yes, Central Jersey does exist).   As you said it is pretty close to the ocean, so that could be another plus for Palo Alto if he enjoyed that part of living in NJ.

Yes, NJ does have some rural areas.   But Lakewood isn't one.   It's among the 5 largest cities in NJ by population.  But that's mostly due to the Orthodox Jewish population and it wasn't as big when Hahn lived there.

32 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Lakewood isn't "way down south," it's pretty much dead center of NJ (yes, Central Jersey does exist).   As you said it is pretty close to the ocean, so that could be another plus for Palo Alto if he enjoyed that part of living in NJ.

Yes, NJ does have some rural areas.   But Lakewood isn't one.   It's among the 5 largest cities in NJ by population.  But that's mostly due to the Orthodox Jewish population and it wasn't as big when Hahn lived there.

I did not know that, that’s wild.

They mixed up all the regions, I had always considered old regions 6, 7 and 8 to be South Jersey.  Anywhere near pine barrens, where camo hats and shirts come out and kids talk like they’re from Alabama was what I used as a marker for South vs Central Jersey.  Central Jersey has more hair gel per capita than anywhere else in the country I believe.

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I would guess more people than not would take Palo Alto over Brookings if money was no object.   Considering Hahn grew up in NJ, I would guess he would too (but maybe not).

The question is does the increase in COL make up for it.   Brief perusal of real estate sites and it looks like the median home price in Palo Alto (maybe even all of Santa Clara county) vs. Brookings is literally 10x higher.

What about the cost of pulling your wife and kids away from their schools and friends? And then doing it again in three years when Stanford cancels their program for real?

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

The Jersey Shore beaches are nothing like the Northern California beaches.  For one, you can actually go swimming in the former without a wetsuit for many months (a friend of mine swam this year almost every day without a wetsuit; I don't recommend it).

You don't have to go far west from Lakewood to be in rural NJ, but Lakewood is certainly not rural!

19 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Haven't been there, but looks to me like an idyllic American town.  Looks like the kind of place I would love to live personally.  

Brookings_SD_3.jpg

Looks like a nice block of buildings.  What is that supposed to prove?  What recreational opportunities are in the area?  What is the weather like?  What are the people like?  What is it actually like to live there. 

You could find an idyllic picture of a building or statue from most cities in the U.S.  To me that isn't a significant factor in whether I would want to live there or not.  I am not going to sit on a bench at that street corner everyday admiring the store facades....

34 minutes ago, OR said:

Looks like a nice block of buildings.  What is that supposed to prove?  What recreational opportunities are in the area?  What is the weather like?  What are the people like?  What is it actually like to live there. 

You could find an idyllic picture of a building or statue from most cities in the U.S.  To me that isn't a significant factor in whether I would want to live there or not.  I am not going to sit on a bench at that street corner everyday admiring the store facades....

And you might zoom in on that picture, look a little more closely at the signs in the windows, the condition of a few facades...

41 minutes ago, OR said:

extralarge.png

5 minutes ago, portajohn said:

Hahn is not going to Stanford. 

Is this verified, opinion, or the product of the board formula speculation growth rate, often abbreviated:

(Mineo/Saylor)x(1/Koll)^(1+(years of eligibility remaining))

18 minutes ago, red blades said:

And you might zoom in on that picture, look a little more closely at the signs in the windows, the condition of a few facades...

They have Hamms so what more could you want?  Obviously a sports meca as they are currently sold out of gear.  Don't have/need more gear, have a Hamms while waiting for the next shipment.  Already got your gear, have a Hamms after your century ride or after long cross country skiing.  Ya can't do that in SoCal.  :)

Perhaps moot now, but I think what people in this thread are missing is that Hahn wasn't deciding whether to move to Palo Alto or to Brookings. He was deciding whether to leave Brookings, where he has a head coaching job, family nearby, and an established life, and go all the way across the country for a fresh start (for the second time in three years). It was never a binary "Would I rather live in City A or City B?" situation.

Also, "is <insert city here> a good place to live" depends a lot on who you are and your individual situation and preferences. What's great for a young, single guy might be less desirable to someone approaching middle age with a family. Brookings might be great if you love hunting and fishing, like being in charge of D1 college team, make way above the average income for the area, and hate traffic. Maybe you don't want to give up literally everything on that list to move to Northern California. Someone else might! 

4 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Perhaps moot now, but I think what people in this thread are missing is that Hahn wasn't deciding whether to move to Palo Alto or to Brookings. He was deciding whether to leave Brookings, where he has a head coaching job, family nearby, and an established life, and go all the way across the country for a fresh start (for the second time in three years). It was never a binary "Would I rather live in City A or City B?" situation.

Also, "is <insert city here> a good place to live" depends a lot on who you are and your individual situation and preferences. What's great for a young, single guy might be less desirable to someone approaching middle age with a family. Brookings might be great if you love hunting and fishing, like being in charge of D1 college team, make way above the average income for the area, and hate traffic. Maybe you don't want to give up literally everything on that list to move to Northern California. Someone else might! 

Yep.... and he has SDS on the upswing.  To expand on your point...not everyone wants to live in California....just ask the all the people who are leaving. 

2 hours ago, OBXWrestler said:

Willie tweeted that Hahn is committed to SD and is staying. 

A couple days have passed since Koll said he had coaching hires ready to be named one after the other. The world awaits!

41 minutes ago, IronChef said:

I agree, I even posted earlier in the thread that it’d be a demotion.

Does Hahn have family in SD?  I have no idea.  It’s also possible having only been there for 3 years his life there wasn’t incredibly “established,” but again I have no idea.

3 hours ago, Drew87 said:

Is this verified, opinion, or the product of the board formula speculation growth rate, often abbreviated:

(Mineo/Saylor)x(1/Koll)^(1+(years of eligibility remaining))

All truths are found at the bottom of my toilet bowl 

7 hours ago, Drew87 said:

I did not know that, that’s wild.

They mixed up all the regions, I had always considered old regions 6, 7 and 8 to be South Jersey.  Anywhere near pine barrens, where camo hats and shirts come out and kids talk like they’re from Alabama was what I used as a marker for South vs Central Jersey.  Central Jersey has more hair gel per capita than anywhere else in the country I believe.

I’d say North Jersey probably has more hair gel.

Yeah, if you had to divide the state into North & South only the old 6/7/8 would probably be South Jersey, but most South Jerseyans really only considered 7 & 8 as South Jersey.

Same for the state as a whole.  If there was a dividing line it’d probably be 195, so Lakewood would be South.

But that’s not to say that there aren’t rural areas in North Jersey as well.   Northwest Jersey is pretty rural too.

5 hours ago, OR said:

Only proves that I would prefer to live in Brookings personally as a demonstration of how unexpected someone's preferences might be.  I don't know what Hahn likes, but I guess its good enough to stay onboard.