Sign in to follow this  
Pinnum

Pac-12 Announces Series of Steps to Bolster Wrestling Membership

Pac-12 schools need to reinstate their programs.  No reason Oregon should not have a team.  Washington and/or Washington State, UCLA, Utah, Colorado.....

Affiliates like Boise State, Cal Davis, Cal Fullerton, Portland State should revive their recently cut programs.  

Sounds to me like they are going to try to poach Big 12 associate members.  

Also, it sounds like the conference didn’t schedule conference duals and that was left up to schools themselves with no requirement for a balance of home and away matches which seems odd for a conference...

19 minutes ago, Pinnum said:

Also, it sounds like the conference didn’t schedule conference duals and that was left up to schools themselves with no requirement for a balance of home and away matches which seems odd for a conference...

Fact. Pretty sure Arizona State and Boise State went several years without wrestling each other when Thom Ortiz was head coach of the Sun Devils.

I like all four of the "new" policies mentioned here.  Particularly the 2nd one. 

Personally I thought it was ridiculously thick-headed of the PAC 12 to only allow the full PAC 12 schools to host the annual conference tournament.   That was just an obnoxious slap in the face for every affiliate school.  Why not just send out a memo saying "YOU AFFILIATE SCHOOLS SIMPLY DON'T MATTER TO US".  Whoever came up with that nonsense should be removed from whatever position they hold in the PAC 12 (if they haven't already been fired).

33 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Fact. Pretty sure Arizona State and Boise State went several years without wrestling each other when Thom Ortiz was head coach of the Sun Devils.

So crazy with how much duals matter in college wrestling that the pac-12 didn’t have a conference schedule and simply elected to only hold a qualifying tournament for the NCAA individual championship...

2 hours ago, Pinnum said:

California Baptist and Utah Valley would make more sense in the Pac-12, and Little Rock in the Big 12.

That would keep the Big 12 at 12 teams, and the Pac-12 would be up to 7.

And if there was some way to resurrect Fresno, they could be an 8th Pac-12 team.

Edited by ISUChip

1 hour ago, Bronco said:

I like all four of the "new" policies mentioned here.  Particularly the 2nd one. 

Personally I thought it was ridiculously thick-headed of the PAC 12 to only allow the full PAC 12 schools to host the annual conference tournament.   That was just an obnoxious slap in the face for every affiliate school.  Why not just send out a memo saying "YOU AFFILIATE SCHOOLS SIMPLY DON'T MATTER TO US".  Whoever came up with that nonsense should be removed from whatever position they hold in the PAC 12 (if they haven't already been fired).

I think they did it so the PAC-12 Network would have the rights to the conference tournament...although it always pissed me off to no end when they’d stream everything except the true-second matches!

32 minutes ago, ISUChip said:

California Baptist and Utah Valley would make more sense in the Pac-12, and Little Rock in the Big 12.

That would keep the Big 12 at 12 teams, and the Pac-12 would be up to 7.

And if there was some way to resurrect Fresno, they could be an 8th Pac-12 team.

Little Rock really doing well. Would hate to lose them. But to get the likes of Northern Colorado, Wyoming, NDSU and SDSU, and Utah Valley would be a move in the right direction. 

This has been in the works for awhile but hasn’t had much traction.  A new commissioner may have helped. As I’ve stated many times, the pac 12 could have a great conference by simply adding teams from the West. 

5 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

I think they did it so the PAC-12 Network would have the rights to the conference tournament...although it always pissed me off to no end when they’d stream everything except the true-second matches!

It also had to do with voting rights at one point. 

8 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

I think we know why that was. As an ASU fan those were dark days.

12 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Why? Wasn’t it over a dispute over “Homerism”refs or something and then the two just stopped scheduling? Please remind us who are a lil long in the tooth.

On 6/3/2021 at 4:17 PM, gobraves101905 said:

Little Rock really doing well. Would hate to lose them. But to get the likes of Northern Colorado, Wyoming, NDSU and SDSU, and Utah Valley would be a move in the right direction. 

Unsure about UVU,  but the other schools won't  even consider a move to the Pac-12.  It doesn't even make sense for UVU. 

15 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Unsure about UVU,  but the other schools won't  even consider a move to the Pac-12.  It doesn't even make sense for UVU. 

I know 6 schools aren’t going to pickup and leave the Big 12. But I see it as a positive possibility for some with Northern Colorado being my pick of likeliest. 

Edited by gobraves101905

9 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

I know 6 schools aren’t going to pickup and leave the Big 12. But I see it as a positive possibility for some with Northern Colorado being my pick of likeliest. 

Why do you say that?

You think they would be likely to leave neighboring and peer programs Wyoming and Air Force?

Even with the Big 12 not being cohesive in their program makeup or geography, it still seems like a better fit than the Pac-12 given the travel involved and the difference in resources in that conference as well.

On 6/3/2021 at 9:02 PM, TripNSweep said:

was that during or after the famous super bowl hanky panky parties with the team and Sunkist senior level guys getting down a little bit like Kentucky Mudflap and his crew. Or was that the Lee Roy days? 

7 minutes ago, Downtown Brown said:

was that during or after the famous super bowl hanky panky parties with the team and Sunkist senior level guys getting down a little bit like Kentucky Mudflap and his crew. Or was that the Lee Roy days? 

Well after. Lee Roy was long gone by then. They really botched it with his replacement.

13 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

Well after. Lee Roy was long gone by then. They really botched it with his replacement.

If I remember it seems they had a few assistants whose names escape. Was one like a self proclaimed world renowned  life coach or something? If I recall it was the first time I remember hearing this term. 

2 hours ago, Downtown Brown said:

If I remember it seems they had a few assistants whose names escape. Was one like a self proclaimed world renowned  life coach or something? If I recall it was the first time I remember hearing this term. 

Al Fuentes. 

21 minutes ago, Downtown Brown said:

Yeah that was the one I think. He freaked some people out. Especially the females.

There were some strange things going on around then. Fortunately Martori stepped in and put an end to that clown show. 

On 6/3/2021 at 1:30 PM, Bronco said:

I attended a Pac tournament at Bakersfield. May have been a year or so before U of Nike dropped.

a rule limiting where conf held might have had to do with broadcast rights after formation of P12N.

Edited by ccrider55
Add