Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Vincenzo Joseph to Stanford

31 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Hope Cenzo can find some quality meatballs in Palo Alto, otherwise he's gonna be homesick for the east! 

I think the coffee shops in Palo Alto are a big draw for him.

On 6/3/2021 at 10:12 PM, ugarte said:

i'd never heard him speak until the baschamania interview and he seems like a pretty sharp guy. good get if it's true.

Except for the part where neither he no Koll know anything about the California Gold Rush or what a 49er was.  Slightly embarrassing.

37 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Except for the part where neither he no Koll know anything about the California Gold Rush or what a 49er was.  Slightly embarrassing.

So its embarassing to not have the year memorized(1849) and not want to pull the trigger and be wrong with the answer?  Hell, Jeopardy contestants are on there with the SOLE PURPOSE of answering questions for money and sometimes don't click the button........

15 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

So its embarassing to not have the year memorized(1849) and not want to pull the trigger and be wrong with the answer?  Hell, Jeopardy contestants are on there with the SOLE PURPOSE of answering questions for money and sometimes don't click the button........

Did you listen to the podcast?

28 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

So: when asked what came to his mind when he heard the word "California, " Koll said "Gold Rush."  Vincenzo then brought up the term "49er" and when pressed, neither knew the historical backgrounds of the terms they brought up.  It's not like it was a Jeopardy question.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see the term "Gold Rush" used in some Stanford wrestling/RTC promotions.

AS far as the year, you don't have to memorize much to realize that the term "49er" refers to 1849 as opposed to 1749 or 1949.  No American citizens to move west in 1749, and 1949 sounds a bit late.

Edited by AHamilton

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

Hopefully, I have every year memorized! At least AD. (And a lot of BC)

7 hours ago, AHamilton said:

that's trivia. american history, sure, but trivia. i did cringe, though.

Edited by ugarte

14 hours ago, AHamilton said:

So: when asked what came to his mind when he heard the word "California, " Koll said "Gold Rush."  Vincenzo then brought up the term "49er" and when pressed, neither knew the historical backgrounds of the terms they brought up.  It's not like it was a Jeopardy question.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see the term "Gold Rush" used in some Stanford wrestling/RTC promotions.

AS far as the year, you don't have to memorize much to realize that the term "49er" refers to 1849 as opposed to 1749 or 1949.  No American citizens to move west in 1749, and 1949 sounds a bit late.

It's unfair to expect people to remember these random dates.  What are you going ask for next, me to know what year the War of 1812 was in?

I think Koll at least knew it was something to do 

14 hours ago, AHamilton said:

At least Koll knew that 49er was something to do with the Gold Rush.  I think Cenzo and Basch had no idea.

16 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I think Koll at least knew it was something to do 

At least Koll knew that 49er was something to do with the Gold Rush.  I think Cenzo and Basch had no idea.

True, but he also made a reference to the "Yukon," I would have to guess he was talking about the Klondike Gold Rush which occurred 47 years later and in another country...or he was referring to the prospector Yukon Cornelius as what he pictures when he thinks of a 49er.  Which I'm totally ok with.

Top 30 Yukon Cornelius GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

Edited by AHamilton