NJDan

James Green Doc on Flo

12 hours ago, NJDan said:

The James Green bio on Flo is interesting and well done. https://www.flowrestling.org/collections/7020919-who-is-james-green/video?playing=7074635

But I was left wondering why they had no interview with Snyder or Manning or with any of the USAW national coaches for that matter.

I agree and I was surprised they didn't mention JB at all - ypu would think his fellow Jersey guy being there as the best in the world and being close to his size would have had a huge affect on both his college career and his development as an international star.  I guess they chose to just focus on his past leading up to Nebraska and not so much on his development to the wrestler he is today.  Great documentary though - I really enjoyed it -  just needs a sequel.

54 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Flo did a three part documentary on Penn State without talking to any of the coaches. They are creative when they need to be.

Why is that "creative"? Did the coaches refuse to talk for some reason so Flo was creative in making a film without them. I see no reason why Manning or JB would not participate and many reasons why they would.

4 hours ago, NJDan said:

Why is that "creative"? Did the coaches refuse to talk for some reason so Flo was creative in making a film without them. I see no reason why Manning or JB would not participate and many reasons why they would.

The story wasn't about James in Nebraska. It was about his story in NJ with his family and his experience growing up.

5 hours ago, NJDan said:

PSU has moved in the direction of controlling their own content. That is in conflict with the Flo business model, so it is unlikely you will see any original PSU content on Flo anymore. Instead PSU has focused on Rokfin as the platform to distribute their content. Cael Sanderson has been candid on this point. The shift was underscored when NLWC spoke to a number of platforms for streaming their exhibitions. Ultimately, the Rokfin model of content ownership rights staying with content creators won the day.

17 hours ago, DanGerMan said:

The story wasn't about James in Nebraska. It was about his story in NJ with his family and his experience growing up.

this is mostly why.

it also costs a lot of time and money to set up shoots to get interviews for the films. there's a good chance the Nebraska coaches & teammates make an appearance on the Bader Show tho. that's a good place to check for content that might be considered of the 'DVD-extra' variety. 

also want to make clear that i have no problem with people offering criticisms on FloFilms. i'm merely offering an explanation to this (very valid) criticism. there's a lot of planning, plotting and budgeting that goes into each film and they will inevitably fail to cover certain aspects and topics that people have more interest in.

its all good tho. glad people seem to have enjoyed this one. I had very little to do with its creation but it's still great to hear! 

18 hours ago, DanGerMan said:

Like I said, I enjoyed it. But I don't buy this reason. The doc had plenty about JG's success at Nebraska and internationally. Surely, it could have had a moment with Snyder or Manning (or JB) about how a lightly recruited high school kid developed.

6 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

I heard some reports of bad blood between Manning, JB AND Green.  They had a hot pepper growing contest last summer and Green got caught planting aphids in their garden.  Oh well, sh1t happens. 

Joke?

On 6/5/2021 at 2:50 PM, Jaroslav Hasek said:

what do you think the reason is? 

poor management. it's unreal. make all the excuses you want. 

you led with 'it costs money....'

what a joke. how much would a trip to nebraska be?

how often between the time you started the doc to the end, were you in the same building as those guys.

it's amateur hour. 

the worst part is James has an amazing story, and you shortchanged that either b/c you're cheap or poor producers. that's the only two options.

Edited by Husker_Du

The flofilms have always been a couple interviews with some wrestling clips spliced in. Same thing repeated each time.  Not really a documentary, but content some people definitely like.  I'm not sure what is really expected from these or any other of their flofilms-there's only so much to cover about wrestling/wrestlers, especially recent wresters who we all know about like Green, Dake, Burroughs, Metcalf etc. Of course most people won't be interested in a documentary about "who is James Green.."  We all know who he is-he's one of the most visible wrestlers in the country.  The ones that have been interesting to me cover the older athletes like Kolat, Brands, etc, whose stories we aren't nearly as familiar with. 

I'd love to see one on Uetake or some of the other even older athletes whose stories aren't told anymore-that would be cool, but probably would require a bit more work than a couple interviews. At the end of the day, the cost of covering something where the background info requires such legwork probably isn't justifiable, even though the product would be more interesting.

Edited by Billyhoyle

7 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Of course most people won't be interested in a documentary about "who is James Green.."  We all know who he is-he's one of the most visible wrestlers in the country. 

I don't think most of even the diehard wrestling fans were familiar with the part of James' life that was most extensively covered in the film. 

Also glad to see the doc has sparked more interest in other aspects of James' life in the sport. Always more stories to tell!

12 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

I don't think most of even the diehard wrestling fans were familiar with the part of James' life that was most extensively covered in the film. 

Also glad to see the doc has sparked more interest in other aspects of James' life in the sport. Always more stories to tell!

My point isn't that we know everything about James Green.  It's that these documentaries pick a very well known wrestler and then interview him and a couple other people. I'm not criticizing what Flo is doing at all- I am defending the series and pointing out that expectations should be fairly low going into watching one of these things. Criticisms about lack of depth of a doc is unwarranted because they are more like an ESPN E:60 profile than a "30 for 30" documentary, and the takeaway is more like what you'd get from a thorough podcast interview.