Sign in to follow this  
IronChef

Bellarmine looking for a coach

Bellarmine is looking for a head coach. They started the transition to DI last summer and I believe will be postseason eligible for the 2025 NCAA tournament. With about 2,400 full-time undergraduates (just about 850 men), they will be one of the smaller schools with D1 wrestling. VMI, Davidson, Gardner-Webb, and Presbyterian are smaller. F&M is close, though it's a DIII school. Most of the current roster is from Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky, which makes sense given their Louisville location. Maybe they can host a DI championship at the KFC Yum! Center which is definitely big enough to host the event.

Does anyone know how many scholarships they have and what salary range they are offering? Considering how rare it is for a D1 head coaching opportunity I would think that unless the financial support is bare they would get some very qualified applicants.

I think the biggest thing in the way of some applicants could be three more seasons with no NCAAs. Probably unlikely to lure an assistant from a big budget school, but maybe someone else who's ready to take over a team.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

What happened to their old coach?

Stepped down. Not sure why. 

29 minutes ago, Downtown Brown said:

Who was their coach?

Spencer Adams. Former 3x AA for Cambellsville. He is the only coach they’ve had in the 5(?) years of existence. 

I think there are some NAIA coaches in the South that might bite at this opportunity.   8 of 10 top teams at NAIA were southern teams.   Lot of good D2 coaches in a short jaunt that might do well taking on that challenge.   Hell,  I think Jesse Castro at Liberty (doubt he'd leave)  could guide them through club level and then up.   Lot f options, but not sure how many DI  guys will apply for this position, although it could be great.   I'd like Franky James since he is an old DI guy and has worked the NAIA route for a while now.   

He's the guy that operates like his team is still a DI  and recruits like crazy.   He shows up to NHSCA Nationals with the NCWA titles and gets wrestlers to go there instead of other divisions.   Might be him with that "moniker"  not sure though. 

Just now, Swayz said:

He's the guy that operates like his team is still a DI  and recruits like crazy.   He shows up to NHSCA Nationals with the NCWA titles and gets wrestlers to go there instead of other divisions.   Might be him with that "moniker"  not sure though. 

That was in reference to the NWCA holding a tournament in March 2020 after the NCAA had cancelled.  Looks like he wasn't the originator of the quote but was quoted in the article - https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/23423

1 hour ago, Swayz said:

I think there are some NAIA coaches in the South that might bite at this opportunity.   8 of 10 top teams at NAIA were southern teams.   Lot of good D2 coaches in a short jaunt that might do well taking on that challenge.   Hell,  I think Jesse Castro at Liberty (doubt he'd leave)  could guide them through club level and then up.   Lot f options, but not sure how many DI  guys will apply for this position, although it could be great.   I'd like Franky James since he is an old DI guy and has worked the NAIA route for a while now.   

Jesse Castro was the head coach at Liberty when they were D-1, and has been with them for the decade since then. He wasn’t the person behind the “Faith not Fear” tournament, but his team did participate.

For what it’s worth, Omi Acosta (Life) would be a good choice to target. Another would be Danny Irwin (West Liberty).

Edited by SetonHallPirate

Willie has Ned Shuck (Army assistant) as a possibility in today's mail bag. He's been at Army for three years, and all of his coaching experience is in DIII before that. Bellarmine might be a pay cut, though? Gray Maynard is supposed to have applied, but I'm not sure why anyone should consider him a serious candidate.

On 6/8/2021 at 12:41 PM, 1032004 said:

That was in reference to the NWCA holding a tournament in March 2020 after the NCAA had cancelled.  Looks like he wasn't the originator of the quote but was quoted in the article - 

Lot of schools showed up but were called home 2 days in

Maynard is the favorite. My kid wrestles there. 3x AA coaches at Xtreme Couture. 

Been working with some of the kids while training a guy at a MMA gym in Louisville for an upcoming fight. 

He is a close friend of one of the guys dads on the team. 

Ned Shuck

Sean Fauiz

Nick beleydon 

Gray Maynard were finalists

Who do you want out of that list. Boys all want Maynard because most college wrestlers at least have a thought about the ufc. 

Also his name will get him recruiting opportunities the others won't have 

Salary is around 80k from what my son heard.