Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Adam Coon is now a Tennessee Titan

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

Not crazy at all. It doesn't take any more technique to be an NFL lineman than it does to be an All state HS lineman. All it takes is more mass and strength (aka: being big) and athleticism, all of which Coon has in spades. 

I think you may have this mistakenly turned around...to be an All state HS lineman all you need is mass and strength...to make it in the NFL, you need all that, and some, AND much much better advanced technique.

Distance between HS and NFL is thousands of miles apart.

5 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

From last year's combine, pretty clear Coon will be a good sized prospect. UWW database says he is 196 cm, which is a little over 6'5".  I think he can weigh 325 on command.  I hope he sees a lot of success.

Good info, but those guys were not in the NFL yet, and I would imagine some were weeded out.  Maybe not, but it is also very likely that the average OT is just as tall or taller than in 2013.

55 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Good info, but those guys were not in the NFL yet, and I would imagine some were weeded out.  Maybe not, but it is also very likely that the average OT is just as tall or taller than in 2013.

You  are on this like a dog on a bone!

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

You  are on this like a dog on a bone!

He was sent by Bill Belichick to protect the internet reputation of his sneaky draft recruit idea way back in the day.  

Btw, didn’t Vrabel play with Neal?  Wonder where the idea came from...

24 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

He was sent by Bill Belichick to protect the internet reputation of his sneaky draft recruit idea way back in the day.  

Uh yeah... I brought that up on page one.

Edited by AHamilton

On 6/4/2021 at 8:21 PM, AHamilton said:

A Patriot who played with Stephen Neal.  And a team with a number of Neal-era Patriot connections.  (Not that Neal was the best, but he was HIGHLY respected in New England by players and coaches.  Bellichick loved him)

Page one of the thread.

However, I start exploring other sides of the argument when people suggest that Neal wouldn't be a good lineman because his best move was a double (ignoring his explosiveness, footwork, motor, balance, toughness, etc.)

On 6/6/2021 at 2:20 PM, Drew87 said:

A blast double does not an offensive lineman make.  If you look at all the OT’s in the NFL, most of them look like Coon more than Neal.  

The ability to be an O lineman is about reading, understanding and anticipating the moves of athletic freaks who have one job, get to the ball.  Your #1 job is to get in their way, not get them off their feet to their back. 

Being an O lineman is very mentally taxing.  I like Coon for that better than Neal, no offense to Neal.

lol

I like the guy who has never done it better than the guy who did it at the highest level for years and has three rings.  Because darn it. Neal is one inch shorter and he blast doubled Andrey Shmulin straight to Hell in the world finals.

Edited by AHamilton

31 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

draft recruit?  huh?

3 hours ago, AHamilton said:

lol

I like the guy who has never done it better than the guy who did it at the highest level for years and has three rings.  Because darn it. Neal is one inch shorter and he blast doubled Alexander Shmulin straight to Hell in the world finals.

Neal had a great run but lets not break out the scaffolding to build his pedestal.

1 hour ago, AHamilton said:

I think it is already built? 

I do finally recognize old patriot homer zeal over the internet.  I’m used to seeing it in person.

You’re behaving like he was a god on the O-line, his performance as an O-lineman was very middle of the road. Neal entered the league in 2001 and didn’t see real playing time until 2005.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Neal

The most impressive thing about Neal is that he started wrestling really late, followed by the fact that he stuck it out so long in the NFL with so many injuries.

Owning a superbowl ring doesn’t mean anything other than you were on the roster of a very good team, says nothing about your actual contribution to that team.  There’s a reason that the NFL has probowl designations and hall of fame inductions.  

You’re a pretty darn good hype man though I must admit.

6 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

I do finally recognize old patriot homer zeal over the internet.  I’m used to seeing it in person.

You’re behaving like he was a god on the O-line, his performance as an O-lineman was very middle of the road. Neal entered the league in 2001 and didn’t see real playing time until 2005.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Neal

The most impressive thing about Neal is that he started wrestling really late, followed by the fact that he stuck it out so long in the NFL with so many injuries.

Owning a superbowl ring doesn’t mean anything other than you were on the roster of a very good team, says nothing about your actual contribution to that team.  There’s a reason that the NFL has probowl designations and hall of fame inductions.  

You’re a pretty darn good hype man though I must admit.

No.  I actually realize that he was an above average Offensive lineman who was steady and dependable when not hurt.  He was a starter when not hurt.It is just my belief that he was a better athlete than Coon, a better wrestler, and most likely a better football player.  I have nothing against Coon and hope he succeeds.  You were acting as if Neal, who had an established career, was a lesser prospect than Coon.  I disagree, and yes, I was a huge Neal fan as a wrestler.

And sadly, I was born and raised a Buffalo Bills fan.  Was just going through some old photos the other day and found one of Jim Kelly signing an autograph for me.  One of my favorite players growing up was Jordan Burroughs wife's uncle: The Thurminator!

3 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

No.  I actually realize that he was an above average Offensive lineman who was steady and dependable when not hurt.  He was a starter when not hurt.It is just my belief that he was a better athlete than Coon, a better wrestler, and most likely a better football player.  I have nothing against Coon and hope he succeeds.  You were acting as if Neal, who had an established career, was a lesser prospect than Coon.  I disagree, and yes, I was a huge Neal fan as a wrestler.

And sadly, I was born and raised a Buffalo Bills fan.  Was just going through some old photos the other day and found one of Jim Kelly signing an autograph for me.  One of my favorite players growing up was Jordan Burroughs wife's uncle: The Thurminator!

Oh good sir, I feel for thee. One of my buddies rides the same train.  As he said it, “there is hope!...at least a little bit...”

This year was the happiest I have seen him in a football season in the 15 years that I’ve known him.  

And wow, Mrs Burroughs has NFL in her lineage?  That is a powerhouse family.

37 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

Oh good sir, I feel for thee. One of my buddies rides the same train.  As he said it, “there is hope!...at least a little bit...”

This year was the happiest I have seen him in a football season in the 15 years that I’ve known him.  

And wow, Mrs Burroughs has NFL in her lineage?  That is a powerhouse family.

Yes.  It was tough four years and then the embarrassing drought that recently ended.  

Yes.  Thurman Thomas is JBs wife's uncle.  JB is a Bills fan now and has spoked to the team at training camp. (Also her brother was a D1 qualifier for American U... so those kids have some pretty good genes.

Coach McDermott was a National Prep champ btw and wrestled for the Foxcatcher age group club.

Edited by AHamilton

On 6/8/2021 at 3:58 PM, dman115 said:

I think you may have this mistakenly turned around...to be an All state HS lineman all you need is mass and strength...to make it in the NFL, you need all that, and some, AND much much better advanced technique.

Distance between HS and NFL is thousands of miles apart.

As a matter of fact I WAS an honorable mention All State offensive lineman (3rd team All State) while weighing 184 pounds, and no, there is virtually no difference in technique between the pros and HS on the offensive line. Blocking is blocking, good technique from HS would be considered good technique in college or the NFL. BUT, the guys in the NFL on the defensive line are all former HS and college All Stars, and are in full on beast mode. They are big, mostly 300 pounds or more, strong and fast. Offensive linemen in the NFL just have to be bigger/stronger and more athletic than guys from HS or college, that's the only difference (as long as they have good technique). 

In fact in this very thread two wrestlers who didn't play a down of football in college, but who were All State in HS in football and who succeeded in the NFL (Neal and Haselrig),  Haselrig was even All Pro multiple times after not playing a down in college. I don't see why Coon can't make it as well. 

Edited by TobusRex

17 hours ago, AHamilton said:

While I think there are a myriad of reasons why Coon could and could not succeed in the NFL, lack of size is not one of them. He will be an average sized OT.

1 minute ago, Chucktown_Luke said:

While I think there are a myriad of reasons why Coon could and could not succeed in the NFL, lack of size is not one of them. He will be an average sized OT.

The average height was 6'5" in 2013.  It may still be.

45 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

The average height was 6'5" in 2013.  It may still be.

That would've been when he was 18, right? ALMOST fully grown. I wouldn't be surprised if he added another inch in height after that. 

17 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

That would've been when he was 18, right? ALMOST fully grown. I wouldn't be surprised if he added another inch in height after that. 

The average NFL tackle in 2013 was 6'5",  not referring to Adam Coon who is about 6'5" now.