Alwayswrestling

Coon to try to make the NFL

I guess his the fact that he didn't play for that powerhouse up in Ann Arbor will be a positive factor in his development at this level.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

I guess his the fact that he didn't play for that powerhouse up in Ann Arbor will be a positive factor in his development at this level.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Ohio State agrees.

Wasn’t he aiming for a NASA job?  Super smart engineering major right?  I’m guessing he is oversized for an astronaut. But still thought he was NASA bound.  

Figuring he can still try for that post this path if things don’t work out here.

Wishing him the best.  Please post updates on this journey!

John Hasselrig was a next level collegiate style wrestler who translated very well to the NFL as a lineman. 

Stephen Neal was a world champion freestyle wrestler who translated very well to the NFL as a lineman. 

Neither style translates to NFL lineman as well as Greco.....

18 minutes ago, Lurker said:

John Hasselrig was a next level collegiate style wrestler who translated very well to the NFL as a lineman. 

Stephen Neal was a world champion freestyle wrestler who translated very well to the NFL as a lineman. 

I assume you mean Carlton Haselrig

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Except, generally speaking: Our most athletic guys tend to do Freestyle.

11 hours ago, AHamilton said:

Except, generally speaking: Our most athletic guys tend to do Freestyle.

11 hours ago, BigTimeFan said:

And both of those guys were another level compared to Coon. 

You guys are trying too hard

16 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

I don't think Haselrig ever made a senior world team, let alone medaled at senior worlds. 

Kinda what I was thinking.  What "other level" is there beyond the finals of the world championships.  Olympic finals obviously step up (which neither made)....but 'another level"??

7 minutes ago, NJDan said:

According to his obituary, he won a junior world title. https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/23774

Is it possible he never tried to make a senior world team?

I feel as if were 4ish in the OTT one year.  He really was a specimen, and could have probably done well in wrestling.  Tough era to be a heavyweight though.  Bruce is obviously one of the best ever, and Big Cat wasn't bad either.

Haselrig had a collegiate win over Angle, I believe.

Edited by AHamilton

22 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

I don't think Haselrig ever made a senior world team, let alone medaled at senior worlds. 

Haselrig would have needed to beat Bruce, who was the best or second best Freestyle wrestler in the world just to make a team. Coon has never been that good in  Greco. He got a dream draw where he won his one medal. There were at least 5 guys who would have beaten him  that tourney if the draw was different. 

5 hours ago, Lurker said:

Kinda what I was thinking.  What "other level" is there beyond the finals of the world championships.  Olympic finals obviously step up (which neither made)....but 'another level"??

Coon was never world championship final quality. He lucked out in an unbelievable draw and got destroyed in the final. Look at his results since.  

For the record, I’m not arguing anything about Coon’s draw (I too share the opinion of the quality of his draw) or whether or not he would have had the medal with another draw. Simply stating he is a world class Greco athlete, who has reached the highest level (senior world championships final), and that Greco translates even better than freestyle or folk. His draw is irrelevant to the point. 

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

For the record, I’m not arguing anything about Coon’s draw (I too share the opinion of the quality of his draw) or whether or not he would have had the medal with another draw. Simply stating he is a world class Greco athlete, who has reached the highest level (senior world championships final), and that Greco translates even better than freestyle or folk. His draw is irrelevant to the point. 

What Greco wrestlers have succeeded in the NFL to this point?