Sign in to follow this  
pennsyrules

Joey Slaton?

Funny, I was just listening to the Sebolt video on flo and he mentioned him and Slaton were competitors in HS.  I remember Slaton was a runnerup as a redshirt freshman) I think), but what happened after that?  Looks like me maybe didn't make the lineup?  Testiment to how tough DI is.  Who has details?

8 minutes ago, pennsyrules said:

Funny, I was just listening to the Sebolt video on flo and he mentioned him and Slaton were competitors in HS.  I remember Slaton was a runnerup as a redshirt freshman) I think), but what happened after that?  Looks like me maybe didn't make the lineup?  Testiment to how tough DI is.  Who has details?

https://hawkeyesports.com/roster/joe-slaton/

That’s his career profile, he wrestled unattached for his two remaining years after making the finals.  He made the finals as a sophomore, had to sit a year, he transferred in with metcalf and friends.  He was behind dennis and alex tsirtsis his junior year, then dennis and montell marion his senior year.  Toughest room in the country for those lower weights no doubt.

9 hours ago, Drew87 said:

https://hawkeyesports.com/roster/joe-slaton/

That’s his career profile, he wrestled unattached for his two remaining years after making the finals.  He made the finals as a sophomore, had to sit a year, he transferred in with metcalf and friends.  He was behind dennis and alex tsirtsis his junior year, then dennis and montell marion his senior year.  Toughest room in the country for those lower weights no doubt.

The year after he made the finals, he couldn't make 133 effectively and lost the spot to Dennis. Had a really bad meltdown against Fanthorpe in the ISU dual. Then he got kicked off the team for shoplifting or grades/both (I can't remember for sure). He came back and was expected to be the guy at 141 his senior year, but it didn't work out. I don't remember why, but he dominated Marion at midlands that year. Marion went on to lose to Dake in the finals.

He's a great "what if" guy. Ultra talented. Would have loved to see him and Dake go at it that year. 

3 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

The year after he made the finals, he couldn't make 133 effectively and lost the spot to Dennis. Had a really bad meltdown against Fanthorpe in the ISU dual. Then he got kicked off the team for shoplifting or grades/both (I can't remember for sure). He came back and was expected to be the guy at 141 his senior year, but it didn't work out. I don't remember why, but he dominated Marion at midlands that year. Marion went on to lose to Dake in the finals.

He's a great "what if" guy. Ultra talented. Would have loved to see him and Dake go at it that year. 

Weight is and always will be the great equalizer.  So are the lifestyle requirements that the NCAA places on athletes.  

While I do despise the NCAA as an organization, bunch of wannabe roger goodells, I am a big fan of the character requirements placed on most athletes, non-money making sports typically.  

Funny how those standards get slackened when money gets involved.

19 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Wow, haven't heard that name in a long time. So Slaton got lost in the lineup after finishing as a national runnerup as a sophomore? LOL, that's just sad. He should've transferred somewhere else. 

Great point TobusRex! There are several kids that should transfer somewhere else. 

2 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Wow, haven't heard that name in a long time. So Slaton got lost in the lineup after finishing as a national runnerup as a sophomore? LOL, that's just sad. He should've transferred somewhere else. 

Oklahoma, maybe?

3 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

He's a great "what if" guy. Ultra talented. Would have loved to see him and Dake go at it that year

As just about all of the posters/readers here know, KD doesn't stand a chance in folkstyle fantasy matches, so I'm picking Slaton by a score of 8 to 3 (3 tds, 1 esc, RT to 1 td and esc).

24 minutes ago, PSUSMC said:

As just about all of the posters/readers here know, KD doesn't stand a chance in folkstyle fantasy matches, so I'm picking Slaton by a score of 8 to 3 (3 tds, 1 esc, RT to 1 td and esc).

Correct. The biggest question becomes whether Slaton picks up bonus.

Loved watching Slaton in highschool. The first time I saw him was when the state tournament was still in the barn and here is this ripped lil 119 pounder, with an angry look on his face and slighlty pigeon toed gait, just hulking people around. I believe that was his junior year and he won it over a former champ. Iowa 3A was just stacked at that time.  Not flashy at all and a prototypical Iowa guy. I wish we would have seen more of him.

Edited by Drake_Mallard