12 minutes ago, BigTimeFan said:

Yianni absolutely dismantled McKenna, so much so I called him Kenna and had to add the Mc back. Think about that a moment. 15-4. 

The match ended with a four pointer on the edge and in second period, for the time it lasted, Yianni took poor Ken down at will. 

Good win for Yianni.  As disappointing as his Musz loss was, he has now avenged his Mckenna loss.  Hopefully he can regain his form from 2019 nationals in time for 2021 Worlds.

1 minute ago, AHamilton said:

Good win for Yianni.  As disappointing as his Musz loss was, he has now avenged his Mckenna loss.  Hopefully he can regain his form from 2019 nationals in time for 2021 Worlds.

I hear that. He’s always been my guy to lift us out of our 65kg losing streak. 

2 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

I really enjoyed the "Cox is the best P4P in the United States era".... I imagine that thread will start soon, or something similar.  

He absolutely didn't come out with Soul-crushing energy or drive.  That superman "tackle" and miss was interesting too.  

Isn't this his first competition in some time?  Maybe it's "rust".  Maybe something else.  I don't know, but from what I saw, Cox either dropped down back into the pack at 92kg, or the rest of the world caught up.  Maybe a little of both.  

A Cox/Sadulaev match would now be laughable based on what we just saw.  Sad would tech him.  Cox at 97kg, in general, seems increasingly difficult, given the IRI top 2, Sad, Snyder, and the rest of that top Tier.  

Do you think he will still look for another country to represent in the Olympics?  Are there any nations where soul stealing is legal?

2 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

I really enjoyed the "Cox is the best P4P in the United States era".... I imagine that thread will start soon, or something similar.  

He absolutely didn't come out with Soul-crushing energy or drive.  That superman "tackle" and miss was interesting too.  

Isn't this his first competition in some time?  Maybe it's "rust".  Maybe something else.  I don't know, but from what I saw, Cox either dropped down back into the pack at 92kg, or the rest of the world caught up.  Maybe a little of both.  

A Cox/Sadulaev match would now be laughable based on what we just saw.  Sad would tech him.  Cox at 97kg, in general, seems increasingly difficult, given the IRI top 2, Sad, Snyder, and the rest of that top Tier.  

Incredible really. Before the Olympic trials only a couple months ago he was a lot of people's P4P number 1, "will topple Sad". Wonder what on earth has happened. First the trial weight miss fiasco, and this tournament was the worst statement he could have made.

Just now, BigTimeFan said:

I hear that. He’s always been my guy to lift us out of our 65kg losing streak. 

I was very concerned about his recent lack of production.  However, today was mostly a positive despite the Musz loss.  He is competitive with one of the top guys and then dismantled his top domestic competition for 2021.

40 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Cox lost his SF match against a Ukrainian I have never heard of, wow. 

The UKR guy looked decent but Cox was just so lethargic. Looked like Cox was going to pull it out at the end. He has UKR’s leg tree-topped but when UKR kicked out he also turned in setting his body at a right angle to Cox so when Cox jumped on him he missed and flew over. That was bad. 

1 minute ago, Uwwdoc said:

Incredible really. Before the Olympic trials only a couple months ago he was a lot of people's P4P number 1, "will topple Sad". Wonder what on earth has happened. First the trial weight miss fiasco, and this tournament was the worst statement he could have made.

At a lower weight too.

He always has these types of matches, he lost to some random Turk at Yasar Dogu before he won 2018 worlds. 2019 world semi he was millimetres away from losing to Mtisuri (i'm sure I butchered that spelling). He is an extremely bad matchup for Karimi and the brackets have worked at worlds in 92 the past two years to accommodated that in a way that Karimi beats guys who would have a very good chance to beat Cox. Does he win worlds in 2018 if Karimi doesn't beat Sharifov (who is 2 - 0 against Cox) ? Cox is a good wrestler but in a way he is also a fortunate wrestler. 

Edited by Shiraz123

2 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

At a lower weight too.

A lower and much weaker weight class. Before I wanted Iran to send Kamran Ghasempour at this weight as I thought he would give the Cox of old a run for his money, but this Cox we seen today I reckon he would destroy.

He will need to change something or identify the problem if he wants to obtain all the legacy medals he wishes otherwise he will pale into obscurity. You imagine there must be a big issue.

6 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

It's almost like Cox got too big for 92kg and is having trouble being as effective in his first cut back down.
;)
He'll be alright

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask Frank Rizzo because he knows more than me.

One of my first thoughts too. But it is just bad management anyway you look at it if that is the case and lack of insight from his team. If you have spent over a year bulking up so that you can compete at 97, and tried cutting to 97 and left it so fine you missed the deadline, then you would hope his team would have either said to come here at 97kg or take the time to readjust to 92kg if that is what he wants to commit to for later in the year. I rate him pretty highly, but obviously there is a big issue and this might be it, maybe him/his team just bad at managing the weight?

One of my first thoughts too. But it is just bad management anyway you look at it if that is the case and lack of insight from his team. If you have spent over a year bulking up so that you can compete at 97, and tried cutting to 97 and left it so fine you missed the deadline, then you would hope his team would have either said to come here at 97kg or take the time to readjust to 92kg if that is what he wants to commit to for later in the year. I rate him pretty highly, but obviously there is a big issue and this might be it, maybe him/his team just bad at managing the weight?
They know Snyder is likely to place at the Olympics so 92kg is their only option to compete.
I think the cut (at the moment) is/was too much but he will be fine by worlds.
He's said he will go up after the tournament, but although I'm highly disappointed in the loss. I'm not worried.

*To your point though, missing weight at the trials and then looking like death here.... Makes you think he's lacking the people in his camp to facilitate (demand) things be done correctly.

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask Frank Rizzo because he knows more than me.

Zare (IRI) will wrestle Gwiz (USA) in the 125kg final in around 4-6 hours from now.  Zare teched Gwiz quite easily last time they wrestled and I don't expect it will be any different this time.

Hosseinkhani (IRI) vs Chamizo (ITA) in the 74kg final 

Edited by The Genius

18 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I think the cut (at the moment) is/was too much

*To your point though, missing weight at the trials and then looking like death here.... Makes you think he's lacking the people in his camp to facilitate (demand) things be done correctly.

yes. My point exactly

Zare (IRI) will wrestle Gwiz (USA) in the 125kg final in around 4-6 hours from now.  Zare teched Gwiz quite easily last time they wrestled and I don't expect it will be any different this time.
Hosseinkhani (IRI) vs Chamizo (ITA) in the 74kg final 
Yeah shouldn't be any drama
Zare and Chamizo

44 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Yes Mus dropped out so he should win, but tough opponent and yes Noon eastern

Apparently tourney organizers did not leave enough time to smoke the whole pack of cigs between semis and finals

Apparently tourney organizers did not leave enough time to smoke the whole pack of cigs between semis and finals
This was a great response....
*Tips cap*

28 minutes ago, Le duke said:

I don’t understand why Nolf isn’t at every international tournament under the sun. He needs to get more reps against foreigners not named Bekzod.

He’s a great Folk wrestler but he hasn’t appeared like a world beater in FS to me (yet).

I agree he needs to compete more.

I disagree on his transcendence into greatness.  He's almost there.  He had the toughest draw at Poland with world Bronze medalist in the Kazahk, with the winner getting Chamizo.  I'll not fail him for that.  Not the slightest.  While he isn't beating JB or Dake right now, there isn't anyone else I would pick over him, domestically, at 74kg.  There are only two other 74kg on the planet that can beat Dake or JB, in Sidakov or Chamizo.

I'm still a belieber, man.

Also it appears that Egypt is having a defacto wrestleoff at 125.  If Abdel wins I imagine he gets the spot regardless of Hemida's result, being as he qualified the weight.  If both lose, I imagine we'll see some sort of further wrestleoff.  If Hemida wins and Abdel loses them Hemida likely gets the spot, or so most people are projecting it seems.  Hemida has the tougher opponent in Batir (KAZ) than Abdel does in Koldov (UKR) so if that scenario plays out Hemida would have earned it.  My bet is that is the only way he earns the spot.

11 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I agree he needs to compete more.

I disagree on his transcendence into greatness.  He's almost there.  He had the toughest draw at Poland with world Bronze medalist in the Kazahk, with the winner getting Chamizo.  I'll not fail him for that.  Not the slightest.  While he isn't beating JB or Dake right now, there isn't anyone else I would pick over him, domestically, at 74kg.  There are only two other 74kg on the planet that can beat Dake or JB, in Sidakov or Chamizo.

I'm still a belieber, man.

I anticipate a healthy Imar will continue to beat Nolf. 79 WTT should be a good benchmark.