1 minute ago, hammerlockthree said:

Something is off, easy to ignore when he is winning but...

Says he could go either weight, then later says he was so whipped at the olympic weigh in that Saduleav was worried....tells story about KJ completely flipping his mindset on which weight to go because he is chasing greatness, in the same breath that he is going back to 92....missing weight...skipping this bronze medal match....seems to bounce around training wise....I think that backstage is way crazier than the anyone is letting on.

Didn't he have a long video reveal of what weight he was going?

1 hour ago, Drew87 said:

It wasn’t meant to be insulting, it was meant as a sports psychology observation.  If you’ve never personally experienced a seriously disappointing, season-ending loss, it might not make sense to you.  Similarly, if you haven’t had many years of big weight cuts, what I’m referring to might not immediately make sense.

I am not always a proponent of FLO stuff, but they do document and profile athletes VERY well.  The J’den Cox and Terry Brands profiles are required watching to understand what I’m talking about.

And I’m not belittling his accomplishments, they are fantastic.  I am being critical of what appears to be a haphazard approach to planning and weight management.  It has been acknowledged in the past, on FRL if I recall correctly, that in college J’den would have frosted flakes with chocolate milk for lunch.  That is not all THAT uncommon.  But it is unsustainable.  Similarly, everyone comes to wrestling from a different place. For some it is a game, for some it is a challenge, for some it is an outlet, for some it is an identity.  

J’den wrestles with heart and emotion, he is not a robot.  He has had some very emotionally charged things to say recently.   Terry Brands is/was the same way.  Terry also had some serious soul searching to do post ‘96 trials. 

I care about wrestling and wrestlers, J’den looks like he is running himself hard and may be nearing the end of his current rope.  Successive disappointments amidst such tremendous turmoil necessitates introspection and revision.  It’s just part of polishing the stone.

I understand what you're saying, I'm just not ready to make the same conclusions.  The fact pattern over the past 18 months isn't great--we can agree on that.  

But to me, it seems like you're a little overeager to prescribe psychological causality to something that might not be so complicated.   

Just now, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I understand what you're saying, I'm just not ready to make the same conclusions.  The fact pattern over the past 18 months isn't great--we can agree on that.  

But to me, it seems like you're a little overeager to prescribe psychological causality to something that might not be so complicated.   

Yes very true, it is early, I just get the feeling that J’den and Terry would get one another, kinda the way Terry and Cejudo had their own special thing.  

15 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Something is off, easy to ignore when he is winning but...

Says he could go either weight, then later says he was so whipped at the olympic weigh in that Saduleav was worried....tells story about KJ completely flipping his mindset on which weight to go because he is chasing greatness, in the same breath that he is going back to 92....missing weight...skipping this bronze medal match....seems to bounce around training wise....I think that backstage is way crazier than the anyone is letting on.

Isn't this pretty on brand for J'Den though? He's taken losses prior to worlds before and been money when it counts. He played with fire and got burned. If he lays an egg at Worlds, I'll be more concerned.

It's also just possible that he's not as good as thought. 92 kg isn't exactly a great weight. Dake ran through 79 easy, but barely escaped Chamizo down at 74.

4 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Isn't this pretty on brand for J'Den though? He's taken losses prior to worlds before and been money when it counts. He played with fire and got burned. If he lays an egg at Worlds, I'll be more concerned.

It's also just possible that he's not as good as thought. 92 kg isn't exactly a great weight. Dake ran through 79 easy, but barely escaped Chamizo down at 74.

I'd certainly agree that as long as he wins worlds things are fine from a fans perspective, but to me that means you give him a pass for all this after the fact, not that you just assume its gonna be fine going forward. 

As far as being on brand, the last few months seem a lot crazier than we've had previously.

2 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

Yes very true, it is early, I just get the feeling that J’den and Terry would get one another, kinda the way Terry and Cejudo had their own special thing.  

That could very well be true.  Will be interesting to see if his arrangement with NJRTC is successful.  I could see that working out as I think Reece may be the best young freestyle coach we have, but I'm not exactly sold on the part-time idea.  

Sorry to hear about Cox’s loss.  There might be more to the story.  FFT next round suggests there is.  

I do think the rabid dogs that went way over the top (trying to instill blame on others about how the missed weigh in was handled) did Cox no favors.  A couple of them were a bit psycho / ridiculous.  Very effective approach to get others on the board to be more willing to write ‘less glowingly’ about Cox in order to annoy those ‘fans’.  

9 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

When has Dake wrestled Chamizo at 74kg?  I don't believe that has happened yet.

I believe he’s talking about the exhibition on Flo. I don’t think it was 74kg though, if that was your point.

12 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

When has Dake wrestled Chamizo at 74kg?  I don't believe that has happened yet.

At the flo event. If you're referring to whether it was at scratch or not, idk, but my point was quality of competition, not making weight. Chamizo is far better than anybody he wrestled at 79 kg that previous year.

1 minute ago, ThorsteinV said:

I believe he’s talking about the exhibition on Flo. I don’t think it was 74kg though, if that was your point.

Yes.. that was my point.  The point of the other post was that Dake did better at 79kg than 74kg, using is close win over Chamizo as a reference.

Just now, Drew87 said:

I would say he did pretty good with his 74kg OTT.  He made some very good wrestlers look like absolute amateurs.

Don't disagree.  I'm a Dake fan.  

I was responding to this...

Dake ran through 79 easy, but barely escaped Chamizo down at 74.

20 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Don't disagree.  I'm a Dake fan.  

I was responding to this...

I gotcha. 

So, is Chamizo just sneaky good with a really unique feel?  He makes a lot of good guys look really robotic against him.

3 hours ago, Stl said:

Please don't characterize J'den or Mizzou's fanbase as one or two bitter Mizzou fans and anyone who thinks J'den should've been allowed to wrestle in the trials. That does not necessarily represent us all! It is interesting though how everyone triggered by those few people has turned into a movement of taking potshots at J'den whenever they can. 

Apologies to you and 99.9%+ of the rest of the fanbase.  Those two crappy, treasonous gents accounted for approximately 99.9% of the 'Mizzou' content for a while there.  Wish you were around a bit more to tell them to stfu when they were projecting their eagerness to defect.

Dake vs Chamizo is interesting.  Any think that Dake is perhaps a bit cautious in first meetings but once has feel, some specific training, turns it up?

thinking of the Russian he lost to and then teched at worlds

Nolf first match was kinda close for a bit then he wipes the mat with him at OTT

wondering if any kinda pattern here

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Apologies to you and 99.9%+ of the rest of the fanbase.  Those two crappy, treasonous gents accounted for approximately 99.9% of the 'Mizzou' content for a while there.  Wish you were around a bit more to tell them to stfu when they were projecting their eagerness to defect.

Appreciated! And yeah I hear ya, I try to avoid the message boards when it turns into a bunch of posturing instead of informative discussion. Unfortunately it seems like the former is more common nowadays.

i just finally got an opportunity to watch Cox's semis match...

yikes...

not a great look after all the shenanigans and bravado that went on... 

the forfeit for second third place does not inspire either...

31 minutes ago, LJB said:

i just finally got an opportunity to watch Cox's semis match...

yikes...

not a great look after all the shenanigans and bravado that went on... 

the forfeit for second third place does not inspire either...

I fully expected him to forfeit out after the loss. The question is what will the excuse be?