Sign in to follow this  
Maximus Meridius

Did Logan Paul actually wrestle in college?

I’ve seen claims that he wrestled one year at Ohio University.  Did he actually wrestle? If so, how did he do?

I know he took fifth place at the Ohio state tournament his senior year in high school, but I have not seen anything authoritative regarding the claim that he wrestled in college. 

https://www.sportskeeda.com/mma/news-logan-paul-ohio-wrestling-how-good-record-college

He also wrestled and was pinned by Darmstadt in HS

https://cornellsun.com/2021/03/07/cornell-wrestler-goes-viral-for-pinning-youtube-personality-jake-paul-in-7-year-old-footage/

Apparently he also wrestled Abounader and lost 7-2 at districts

Edited by DocBZ

He did not wrestle in college. He attended Ohio University for one year, but he did not wrestle. If he was on the team at all, he left before weight certification was done, as he does not appear on the Trackwrestling roster for Ohio for the 2013-14 season. I believe in 2013, you could not start official practice if you were not yet certified, so it's possible he did some preseason workouts, but probably not. 

This article from the main Cleveland newspaper was written in April of 2014 and includes the following passage:

"He decided to retire from athletics once he got to college, but he still tries to find a wrestling match every now and then."
https://www.cleveland.com/highschoolsports/article/how-vine-star-logan-paul-went-from-westlake-standout-athlete-to-a-master-of-six-second-comedy/

2 hours ago, DocBZ said:

Thanks, but the first article doesn’t actually say Logan ever wrestled a match in college. It’s a very misleading article.  The second article relates to his brother, Jake Paul, getting pinned.

35 minutes ago, Swayz said:

High school in OHIO goes by DI,  DII,  DIII  classifications.    He attended Ohio U for a while.  He's lame ass didn't wrestle in college.  

Yeah it looks like the article in the OP is taking "Division 1" in high school to mean college.

7 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah it looks like the article in the OP is taking "Division 1" in high school to mean college.

yes, but in his defense it was a very weirdly written article. goes from his HS ranking (in Ohio) to his college choice (Division I Ohio U.) and then back to saying he qualified for states in Division I (of Ohio high school sports). 

Take any investigative stories from SportsKeeda with a grain of salt. Sometimes they'll have some good Indian-based features, but when they try to do features on non-Indians, just move along. It's on par with some of the rogue MMA sites who try to come up with listicles, etc. to draw in clicks and then we see the same story hit the SEO juice and get shared and reshared. 

Trust guys like Damon Martin, for example. He does his research. The only logical thing I can believe with Logan and Ohio U. is he might have tried to walk on, but didn't make it through preseason. That's a likely scenario that plays out around every college campus every fall, usually after the team meeting.