Sign in to follow this  
fullnelson

Another reason Dake's 4 titles is most impressive

Besides no redshirt and the 4 different wts, I think Dake had much tougher competition with his 4 finalists.

Look who Dake beat-

Montel-2x finalist

Molinaro-2x finalist (1x champ)

St John-2x finalist (1x champ)*

Taylor=3x finalist (1x champ)*

* with a year left

I don't believe Pat Smith or Cael had near the same quality challengers, especially with St John and Taylor still eligible to add the their credentials. (also Dake beat a finalist in Caldwell in the semis)

Dake did not have a better career than Cael. Look at Dake's 4 LOSSES. Cael was on his game every time he stepped on the mat.

Cael > Dake ... and it shouldn't even be up for debate.

One time he was not....

I thought his record was 159 - 0?

Dake did not have a better career than Cael. Look at Dake's 4 LOSSES. Cael was on his game every time he stepped on the mat.

Cael > Dake ... and it shouldn't even be up for debate.

One time he was not....

I thought his record was 159 - 0?

You get a free learning curve your redshirt year.

It really is absurd how some people want to make unofficial results into official results. I highly doubt there are football fans arguing that the 1972 Dolphins were not undefeated because they lost some preseason games. Cael Sanderson's record is 159-0; that's it, end of discussion, there is no room for debate. Look it up in the NCAA records, see the press releases, eat some wheaties.

Dake had losses during his sophomore season and lost in the finals of his conference tournament. He is a 3x conference champ.

If Dake lost after his Freshman year, then the "argument" that Cael had a RS loss is completely moot. Cael never lost after his True Freshman year. Dake lost after his True Freshman year. I think we can throw that line of reasoning out the window

Cael had the better overall record at 159-0. Had Cael never red-shirted....how might he have done that year? He wrestled open tournaments that year and had either one or two losses. However, he was emerging as the dominate Cael that year and I would guess he would have won the NCAAs that year, but like Dake, not been undefeated.

Dake's loss in the EIWA finals his sophomore year is the most significant loss of his career. Dake had two losses as a true freshman and then two losses as a sophomore.....and then two back-to-back undefeated seasons.....

Overall, I don't think anyone has had a better college career than Cael Sanderson, but Dake is about as close to Cael as anyone......at least in the top 10.

Each of the three deserves his own special accolades:

Pat Smith: The 1st Man.

Cael Sanderson: The Undefeated Man.

Kyle Dake: The No Redshirt and Four Weight Classes Man.

The Unanswered Question: Can all three of these guys crush an apple with one hand?

Guys Dake is not even in the top group let alone better than Cael. Not even close. What is wrong with you guys?????

Cael

Uteke

Hodge

Gap

Dake

Smith

Gable

Gap

Two/Three time bulls. Very subjective list of 10 or so:

M Shultz

E Banach

Metzner

Brands

Askren

Varner

Kolat

Jaworsky

Williams

Ironside

Abas

Guerro

Taylor if he smashes everyone next year

Kemp

I think Dake's redshirt worked in his favor so we shouldn't take that into consideration. This is because had he redshirted he'd be a 3x champ losing the 174 finals to Howe next year. Pretty cut and dry.

Yep. I'd say it is pretty cut and dry for sure. 3 time champ RS Senior Dake at 174 vs. 1 time champ RS Senior Howe - Howe winning would be obvious!

:roll:

Good thing for Dake he had the foresight to avoid this entire situation and just not RS - so he only had to beat David Taylor for title #4!