12 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Looks like he is breathing some life into that program. Just a few years ago, I thought they were out for the count. 

Apparently the program was left barren and really on the ropes when he got there

8 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Moving from Madison to San Luis Obispo is an incredible upgrade in weather.

Who doesn’t like Madison’s weather? All the seasons. California-wild fires, earthquakes, mud slides, droughts, high taxes, cost of doing business through the ceiling.  Homeless crisis.  
I’m all in for Wisconsin. 

On 6/15/2021 at 1:32 PM, Henry said:

How many years was he at Wisconsin? It seems like it was long enough to graduate. 

His twin brother, Zander, came to Madison at the same time recently graduated from UW. Zander had to retire from wrestling a few years back due to physical issues. Evan Wick indeed has one more year of eligibility available - red shirts and COVID and Olympic redshirts all contributed to an extended eligibility.

Edited by npope

Cal Poly has been on the up - Even though they were 4th in the Pac 12 they wrestled everyone tough and had a good national tournament.   Sioredas has been there 5 years now and seems to get a couple good recruits every year. They just established some new fundraising as well. They have another kid on the verge of AA in Legend Lamer. Keep in mind that Cal Poly is also a good academic school, with a 25-28% acceptance rate - it's not Stanford but it's also not your average state school either. 

2 hours ago, Idaho said:

Cal Poly has been on the up - Even though they were 4th in the Pac 12 they wrestled everyone tough and had a good national tournament.   Sioredas has been there 5 years now and seems to get a couple good recruits every year. They just established some new fundraising as well. They have another kid on the verge of AA in Legend Lamer. Keep in mind that Cal Poly is also a good academic school, with a 25-28% acceptance rate - it's not Stanford but it's also not your average state school either. 

That's good to see they are headed in the right direction. Getting an AA at a program like Cal Poly can be huge. It's also good for the sport of collegiate wrestling for "smaller" programs to experience some relative success. 

4 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

They have a pretty good history.   Chad Mendes was a finalist.  I loved Novachkov's style.  Colt Shorts was good. 

Novachkovs were fun to watch. Chase Pami was another good one. They have had 2 champs but it goes back a long time ago. They ruled D2 in the late 60's and early 70's - 7 straight national titles. 

22 hours ago, southend said:

Who doesn’t like Madison’s weather? All the seasons. California-wild fires, earthquakes, mud slides, droughts, high taxes, cost of doing business through the ceiling.  Homeless crisis.  

I for got to mention, when we were there for the BIG ‘s afew year’s ago, they had some of the best upscale casual restaurants I’ve been to.  

15 hours ago, southend said:

I for got to mention, when we were there for the BIG ‘s afew year’s ago, they had some of the best upscale casual restaurants I’ve been to.  

Oh yeah - Madison is seriously a great place...as long as you don't catch it on the wrong day in the winter.

Edited by npope

Madison is a dump compared to SLO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/15/2021 at 9:56 PM, southend said:

They would like for you to refer to it as "urban camping" and not homelessness. That is how I described the homeless people in Austin last weekend, and my daughter rolled her eyes. 

5 hours ago, potentiallydangerous said:

Unless Wisconsin permits Animal Husbandry courses to count for General Ed biology or something like that, there is no way credits would not transfer. Fake Cinnabon News.

Transfer rules vary greatly.   It looks like Penn State requires at least 36 of the last 60 credits  be completed at Penn State.  Perhaps Cal Poly doesn't have this requirement?

43 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Transfer rules vary greatly.   It looks like Penn State requires at least 36 of the last 60 credits  be completed at Penn State.  Perhaps Cal Poly doesn't have this requirement?

I see, so maybe Wick only needs one semester or 1 1/2 and didn't want to take more. Plus it would be easier for his parents if he went to Poly and as stated by others he will have a great wrestling partner

Anyone have any insight into why Wick is transferring? I understand him being from CA and his brother being at  Cal Poly, but was there dissatisfaction with WI? 

15 minutes ago, Henry said:

Anyone have any insight into why Wick is transferring? I understand him being from CA and his brother being at  Cal Poly, but was there dissatisfaction with WI? 

He said in his flo interview that he's been there for 5 years and needed a change. Also mentioned having a different training philosophy than the current staff. He was a Barry Davis guy, so he may have never loved Bono in the first place.

On 6/21/2021 at 10:19 AM, uncle bernard said:

He said in his flo interview that he's been there for 5 years and needed a change. Also mentioned having a different training philosophy than the current staff. He was a Barry Davis guy, so he may have never loved Bono in the first place.

He and Bono never clicked. Bono has excellent coaching results, but it’s either his aggressive approach or nothing. It is similar to Pat Pop when he gets freshman in. 

Wick is a super nice guy and I doubt we will ever hear what he really thinks publicly, but he isn’t a Bono fan. You know Bono fought for him to stay (obviously). 

Bono rubs a lot of people the wrong way. He is hard headed and sometimes personalities clash when they are inflexible. It works well off him overall clearly

We have to wait a couple of years to see if Bono is an upgrade.  The Badgers finished 9th in 2020, 12th last year(only one dual win).  So far he has Braxton Amos coming in soon , Seth Gross followed him to Madison and Evan Wick feels he is better off somewhere else.  We'll see what happens.