Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
OR

Pac 12 Wrestling - Future Predictions?

Recommended Posts

Alright, it seems that the Pac 12 conference is perhaps gaining a bit of steam.  

Conference comes out with a plan to support/grow wrestling, Stanford is saved and funded, Pendleton is moving the needle at Oregon State, Arizona State keeps pulling big recruits, Wick just announces he is going to Cal Poly, Luke Smith is hired at Bakersfield, Little Rock is improving, etc, etc.

What are your thoughts about where the conference will be in 5 years?  10 years? Beyond?  Might be fun to pull this thread in the future if themat forums are still around.

Do they poach some Big 12 teams?  Does ASU maintain itself as an annual trophy contender?  Do any Pac 12 schools bring wrestling back?  Does Pendleton start getting consistent AA's?

Edited by OR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My prediction would be a couple western teams moving to the pac 12. I have long been saying that the PAC 12 could become a tough conference by slowly getting all the Western teams to move in. 

IMO I don’t see pac 12 schools adding wrestling until they can stabilize their athletic budgets from the hit they took last year. The first team I think should add would be Washington State. The state of Washington has excellent youth and high school numbers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CB said:

Koll to Stanford.

I'm glad other schools are hosting again.  Poly was the only school of the traditional 10 I haven't been to for a tournament.

Yes, not sure how I missed Koll to Stanford in my original post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be shocked if any full Pac-12 members add wrestling. Power 5 schools adding sports is just not the way things are going or have been for awhile. Does anyone know the last Power 5 school to add wrestling (or another sport)? Beach volleyball maybe?

Just so everyone is clear, Power 5 schools are full members (not associate) in ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, and SEC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, IronChef said:

I'll be shocked if any full Pac-12 members add wrestling. Power 5 schools adding sports is just not the way things are going or have been for awhile. Does anyone know the last Power 5 school to add wrestling (or another sport)? Beach volleyball maybe?

Just so everyone is clear, Power 5 schools are full members (not associate) in ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, and SEC.

Pitt will add women’s lacrosse in 2023. Utah added men’s lacrosse in 2019. ASU added women’s lacrosse in 2018.  However, unlike wrestling, lacrosse is growing quickly at the college level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Katie said:

Pitt will add women’s lacrosse in 2023. Utah added men’s lacrosse in 2019. ASU added women’s lacrosse in 2018.  However, unlike wrestling, lacrosse is growing quickly at the college level. 

Interesting that Utah added men's lacrosse, given that it's not a Pac-12 sport. Lacrosse is a sport that schools would add to try to make money on tuition I think. DI women's lacrosse has a max of 12 scholarships but rosters that can reach above 30. Plus, it's a sport with a lot of money in it, so the non-scholarship players aren't getting a ton of financial aid, and the parents are likely to be big donors. I think this is why Cleveland State tried to drop wrestling in favor of adding lacrosse several years ago.

I still believe the Fresno State situation is instructive as to whether or not to expect Pac-12 schools to add wrestling. The costs are high, and the return in ticket sales, sponsorships, and potentially increased media rights don't make up for that. In order for a big time athletic program to add wrestling, they will just have to be willing to eat the cost unless some big time donors step up and endow a significant portion of the program. The current economic environment for college sports does not suggest many schools will be interested in dropping $1-2 million a year on a new wrestling team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, OR said:

Alright, it seems that the Pac 12 conference is perhaps gaining a bit of steam.  

Conference comes out with a plan to support/grow wrestling, Stanford is saved and funded, Pendleton is moving the needle at Oregon State, Arizona State keeps pulling big recruits, Wick just announces he is going to Cal Poly, Luke Smith is hired at Bakersfield, Little Rock is improving, etc, etc.

What are your thoughts about where the conference will be in 5 years?  10 years? Beyond?  Might be fun to pull this thread in the future if themat forums are still around.

Do they poach some Big 12 teams?  Does ASU maintain itself as an annual trophy contender?  Do any Pac 12 schools bring wrestling back?  Does Pendleton start getting consistent AA's?

The only PAC 12 school that I see bringing back wrestling is Oregon.  Whether or not that will in fact occur in the next five years I don't know.  But it's the only PAC 12 school IMO who even has a chance of bringing back wrestling.   They paid for a brand new wrestling room and all it is doing is collecting dust (as far as I know).  Secondly they have an extremely wealthy benefactor (Phil Knight) who could fund a wrestling program all by himself - as well as a number of Oregon alums who would and could help foot the bill.

Does ASU maintain itself?  Sure - as long as they have their current coaching staff.

The PAC 12 program that I see as being "on the rise" however is Cal Poly.  I mentioned here a couple years ago that I thought Cal Poly was beginning to become a much improved program and they have continued to do that.  They finished the 2021 season in 25th place at the N.C.A.A. tournament which is pretty respectable for a team that was pretty much the last place team in the PAC 12 for quite a while.  They also finished 4th at the 2021 PAC 12 tournament with 107 team points (8 1/2 points behind Stanford).  That is the highest team placement Cal Poly has had in 11 years in the PAC 12 tournament.  PLUS they are a young team.  They had zero Seniors on their team roster for 2021.  Coach Sioredas and his two assistant coaches have to be credited for the improvement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Bronco said:

The only PAC 12 school that I see bringing back wrestling is Oregon. 

They paid for a brand new wrestling room and all it is doing is collecting dust (as far as I know). 

Have you actually seen this room in the last year or two?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ionel said:

Have you actually seen this room in the last year or two?

That is a great question.  I've heard the rumors flying around about the room, but I've never seen actual pics or videos of the room itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody has been able to find the wrestling room on a map of facilities - it was a tweet by Sonnen that said there was a new one. My understanding is that it was a fitness room not necessarily earmarked for wrestling. If a new wrestling room were true, we would have heard more about it by now. Could it happen down the road ? Maybe. But as of right now those are just rumors. 

The top 10 states for boys wrestling participation  in 2019:

 1. California (22,602) 2. Illinois (14,170); 3. New York (11,184); 4. Texas (10,998); 5. Ohio (10,313); 6. New Jersey (9,648); 7. Pennsylvania (9,460); 8. Washington (9,251); 9. Michigan (9,167); 10. Minnesota (8,058)

Washington is prime - so it Texas. There has long been a push in WA for UW or WSU to begin a wrestling program. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recall seeing numerous photos of the new wrestling room and the other facilities that were installed at Oregon but that was a year or two before they sh##-canned their wrestling program.

And I also recall - very recently - someone posting a message here on this forum about that very same wrestling room at Oregon.

But if you any of you experts know of a PAC 12 school that is MORE likely to bring back wrestling you just let me know who that would be.

Edited by Bronco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Bronco said:

I recall seeing numerous photos of the new wrestling room and the other facilities that were installed at Oregon but that was a year or two before they sh##-canned their wrestling program.

And I also recall - very recently - someone posting a message here on this forum about that very same wrestling room at Oregon.

But if you any of you experts know of a PAC 12 school that is MORE likely to bring back wrestling you just let me know who that would be.

The irony that takes place when you block everyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

I'm excited for this upcoming season.  Living in LA, I will do a weekend with the family to see at least one dual at Cal Poly

You might get 2 or 3  if they do the 3-4 way duals again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2021 at 10:05 AM, Bronco said:

The only PAC 12 school that I see bringing back wrestling is Oregon.  Whether or not that will in fact occur in the next five years I don't know.  But it's the only PAC 12 school IMO who even has a chance of bringing back wrestling.   They paid for a brand new wrestling room and all it is doing is collecting dust (as far as I know).  Secondly they have an extremely wealthy benefactor (Phil Knight) who could fund a wrestling program all by himself - as well as a number of Oregon alums who would and could help foot the bill.

Does ASU maintain itself?  Sure - as long as they have their current coaching staff.

The PAC 12 program that I see as being "on the rise" however is Cal Poly.  I mentioned here a couple years ago that I thought Cal Poly was beginning to become a much improved program and they have continued to do that.  They finished the 2021 season in 25th place at the N.C.A.A. tournament which is pretty respectable for a team that was pretty much the last place team in the PAC 12 for quite a while.  They also finished 4th at the 2021 PAC 12 tournament with 107 team points (8 1/2 points behind Stanford).  That is the highest team placement Cal Poly has had in 11 years in the PAC 12 tournament.  PLUS they are a young team.  They had zero Seniors on their team roster for 2021.  Coach Sioredas and his two assistant coaches have to be credited for the improvement.

I guess I missed something. Did Phil Knight wrestle? Usually big donors have been exposed to our sport on a higher level than attending the occasional dual while in HS or college. 

Just because he has a lot of money what is to make us think that he would like to fund a wrestling program at his alma matter? 

If there is any growth out of the states in the west I would think it would be more of an enrollment based school. Most if not all PAC 12 schools are probably not complaining about a lack of students. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2021 at 1:58 PM, OR said:

That is a great question.  I've heard the rumors flying around about the room, but I've never seen actual pics or videos of the room itself.

Universities rarely leave rooms vacant collecting dust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ionel said:

Universities rarely leave rooms vacant collecting dust.

Yep..... Here is where the club team practices - as seen on the UO website and the club team twitter https://rec.uoregon.edu/rooms/mat-room-47

I guess they didn't want the club kids breaking in the new wrestling room that's been sitting waiting for the new wrestling team for 13 years (or more). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Idaho said:

Yep..... Here is where the club team practices - as seen on the UO website and the club team twitter https://rec.uoregon.edu/rooms/mat-room-47

I guess they didn't want the club kids breaking in the new wrestling room that's been sitting waiting for the new wrestling team for 13 years (or more). 

the building that holds the alleged new room for “a room “ is actually pretty new. 1-2 years old I think max. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ASU getting on the podium. Oregon State putting together one of the best coaching staffs in the country. Stanford saving the program under nation coverage. Then getting a top coach from the East coast. Little Rock has been doing great things since joining the conference. The Wick family staying out West at Cal Poly. A lot of positive things happening. A lot of the top HS wrestlers are staying out West. I don’t know the process to grow the number of schools, but they definitely need to get to 10 hopefully. Adding 2 schools over the next year would be a lofty goal. The Tempe RTC is top notch from top to bottom. Oregon State adding a RTC is really big. Think both these sites really help jump start the expansion of the PAC 12. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Downtown Brown said:

the building that holds the alleged new room for “a room “ is actually pretty new. 1-2 years old I think max. 

I was being sarcastic to other remarks on here that are contradictory to logic. :) 

Which building is it? I have not seen any new building dedicated to any type of sports - 

https://www.dailyemerald.com/news/uo-s-construction-has-no-end-in-sight/article_779b901c-43a3-11e9-9759-97b0dc676821.html

Thread about it from April when Sonnen said they built a wrestling room - NOT built 1-2 years before they dropped the program (as stated earlier)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure any programs are going to be added by full PAC-12 members as a result of this. The ACC has had quite a bit of success…anybody seen the new programs at Boston College, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Miami, Notre Dame, Syracuse, or Wake Forest? Me neither!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...