Sign in to follow this  
OR

Pac 12 Wrestling - Future Predictions?

3 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

ASU getting on the podium. Oregon State putting together one of the best coaching staffs in the country. Stanford saving the program under nation coverage. Then getting a top coach from the East coast. Little Rock has been doing great things since joining the conference. The Wick family staying out West at Cal Poly. A lot of positive things happening. A lot of the top HS wrestlers are staying out West. I don’t know the process to grow the number of schools, but they definitely need to get to 10 hopefully. Adding 2 schools over the next year would be a lofty goal. The Tempe RTC is top notch from top to bottom. Oregon State adding a RTC is really big. Think both these sites really help jump start the expansion of the PAC 12. 

Cal Poly with an RTC too

The UO wrestling facility was initially to be in the the new indoor track practice faculty. That was the plan before the program was axed by Pat Kilwrestling. Last I heard the construction plans still had the space drawn in. I haven’t been in the facility so I can’t say. But the building was years in the making and hit some hiccups. Former admin had planned to move wrestling to that side of campus before Kilwrestling essentially bought his job and subsequently axed wrestling for baseball under the guidance of that jezebel assistant AD. Name escapes me.

Sonnen is usually right on many  issues not pertaining to promotion of his fights. If he says it’s there I would buy it. Whether it’s ever used for a program or a cigar bar for their fat cat donors , or X Box room for football players,I can’t predict. I would predict they would start women’s wrestling before men’s. It’s oregon for heavens sakes.

55 minutes ago, Downtown Brown said:

The UO wrestling facility was initially to be in the the new indoor track practice faculty. That was the plan before the program was axed by Pat Kilwrestling. Last I heard the construction plans still had the space drawn in. I haven’t been in the facility so I can’t say. But the building was years in the making and hit some hiccups. Former admin had planned to move wrestling to that side of campus before Kilwrestling essentially bought his job and subsequently axed wrestling for baseball under the guidance of that jezebel assistant AD. Name escapes me.

Sonnen is usually right on many  issues not pertaining to promotion of his fights. If he says it’s there I would buy it. Whether it’s ever used for a program or a cigar bar for their fat cat donors , or X Box room for football players,I can’t predict. I would predict they would start women’s wrestling before men’s. It’s oregon for heavens sakes.

Was there ~2yr ago, excellent ice cream, nice place to visit but yeah I wouldn't move there just for the ice cream.  

4 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Not sure any programs are going to be added by full PAC-12 members as a result of this. The ACC has had quite a bit of success…anybody seen the new programs at Boston College, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Miami, Notre Dame, Syracuse, or Wake Forest? Me neither!

Speaking of Clemson, the school went from planning to drop men's track and field to adding women's lacrosse and gymnastics. Ostensibly, the drop was for financial reasons, so them keeping the sport while adding others makes that seem false. Additionally, dropping track may have pushed them out of compliance toward having too many women's athletes for their student body proportion. Hence the lawsuit that ultimately saved the team.

Pac-12 percentage of women vs. women athletes at non-wrestling schools. Looks like Colorado is the only one with a higher percentage of female athletes than female students, and Utah is right on. Those might be the best candidates to add wrestling from a Title IX standpoint, though Utah just added a men's sport in 2019. If Oregon added wrestling, it would take them from a 3% gap to 6%, and that might be a bridge too far. 

Men Women % women Men's Athletes Women's Athletes % women gap
Arizona 13334 15568 54% 293 266 48% 6%
Cal 13824 16164 54% 489 457 48% 6%
UCLA 12819 18144 59% 402 479 54% 4%
Colorado 15568 13223 46% 253 225 47% -1%
Oregon 7938 9475 54% 252 264 51% 3%
USC 9333 10116 52% 353 314 47% 5%
Utah 9723 8811 48% 301 275 48% 0%
Washington 13237 15840 54% 369 351 49% 6%
Washington State 10777 12222 53% 326 325 50% 3%

8 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

ASU getting on the podium. Oregon State putting together one of the best coaching staffs in the country. Stanford saving the program under nation coverage. Then getting a top coach from the East coast. Little Rock has been doing great things since joining the conference. The Wick family staying out West at Cal Poly. A lot of positive things happening. A lot of the top HS wrestlers are staying out West. I don’t know the process to grow the number of schools, but they definitely need to get to 10 hopefully. Adding 2 schools over the next year would be a lofty goal. The Tempe RTC is top notch from top to bottom. Oregon State adding a RTC is really big. Think both these sites really help jump start the expansion of the PAC 12. 

Good post - I agree -Bakersfield solidifying their coaching is good for them as well. If they could just get a little funding...I mean a little - that would help a ton. The Dam RTC has really improved a ton in just 12 months. Big names coming in - especially in women's wrestling. 

1 hour ago, ionel said:

Was there ~2yr ago, excellent ice cream, nice place to visit but yeah I wouldn't move there just for the ice cream.  

"was there" meaning Eugene or the actual wrestling room? If wrestling room, where is it actually located? 

2 hours ago, Downtown Brown said:

THe new indoor and outdoor track facility just debuted in April - I've read many articles but haven't seen wrestling mentioned anywhere in the new plans or outcome. Looks to be very much track only - outdoor and indoor. Maybe Sonnen has inside info - It would be awesome to have UO reinstate wrestling...but other than Sonnen's claim I see nothing out there on the subject at all. On a separate but related note - there is currently a group in Washington trying to get D1 wrestling at one of the two schools. 

https://www.registerguard.com/in-depth/sports/college/track-field/2021/04/01/look-inside-university-oregons-200-million-state-art-track-only-hayward-field/4833035001/

I think we will see some shift out of Big 12 potentially...UVU and Cal Bap come to mind. Wyoming and Northern Colorado long shot.  Schools with no d1 program yet that could are Dixie State,  Idaho State, UNLV, and Reno.  I think Air Force will stay in Big 12 and potentially join in football and other sports as a full member.  

9 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

That is coming later this year?  I didn’t think it was up and running as of yet. 

I was commenting as much on trend of conference as anything