LHU125

Post Covid, What Changes?

What do you see as the biggest changes to the sport (at any level) following the pandemic?

We talk about "Growing the Sport" and all that but will we revert back to the old ways of thinking?

Senior level duals, a shortened college season, multi-mat dual meets, and a spotlight on women's wrestling are just some of the positives that have come to the sport as we navigated Covid. I think how we adjust moving forward will be just as important as it was during the pandemic. 

Edited by LHU125

I don’t view the shortened college season as a positive. Fewer matches to watch as a fan and fewer opportunities for college guys to wrestle during the short period of their lives when wrestling is a possibility.

1 hour ago, LHU125 said:

What do you see as the biggest changes to the sport (at any level) following the pandemic?

We talk about "Growing the Sport" and all that but will we revert back to the old ways of thinking?

Senior level duals, a shortened college season, multi-mat dual meets, and a spotlight on women's wrestling are just some of the positives that have come to the sport as we navigated Covid. I think how we adjust moving forward will be just as important as it was during the pandemic. 

What are the pre-pandemic "old ways of thinking"?

I'm hoping we still get some of the RTC matches, including college kids, before the college season ramps up. The RTC Cup and the NLWC cards were all great. Particularly the NLWC; if you watched Carter Starocci before his month-long COVID layoff, you knew he was going to be podium-level trouble.

Extra matches should still be a thing. It would be good if they could get them for RS guys, without having to pull their RS. 

Edited by Le duke

2 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

The "no handshake" rule has been fun...

That rule saved many lives. Just imagine how many wrestlers would have died had we not prohibited the touching of palms for 1 second before and after a match.  

Only a science denier would be pro handshake. 

5 hours ago, ionel said:

You know ... back when folks thought it was ok to take their masks off when they went to bed at night ... kindve hard to remember ... but ... them old thinkings.  ;)

More so the ideas that people complained about in wrestling prior to the pandemic. Recognizing changes that came to the sport like a shortened season and "extra matches" are a good thing and mean nothing if we go back to complaining about "growing the sport". If you want to complain about masks though I am sure there are plenty of echo chambers on Twitter you can visit. This post was about wrestling.  

6 hours ago, Henry said:

That rule saved many lives. Just imagine how many wrestlers would have died had we not prohibited the touching of palms for 1 second before and after a match.  

Only a science denier would be pro handshake. 

But... Whose science is it that would be denied?

Hmmmm...

Gotta have faith I suppose.

6 match limit needs to go.  I get it was implemented a few years ago, but if you are in some of these opens. You get a pin here and there...let them wrestle.  30 minute break between matches at tournaments drive me nuts too.  You can have 7 minutes rest in practice and are up again... I'd be for 15 or 20 if needed. 

Edited by Swayz

13 hours ago, Swayz said:

6 match limit needs to go.  I get it was implemented a few years ago, but if you are in some of these opens. You get a pin here and there...let them wrestle.  30 minute break between matches at tournaments drive me nuts too.  You can have 7 minutes rest in practice and are up again... I'd be for 15 or 20 if needed. 

I’m all for the 30 minute breaks. It isn’t fun to watch guys who are exhausted. It’s also way more likely they would get injured imo. 

I could not disagree more with both of these. No reason to wrestle more than six times in a day, and rest is important. Practice and competition are not the same at all. Just because you can go again in practice after a short break doesn't mean you're at your best.

22 hours ago, Swayz said:

Realistically how many times does this happen in a college season where a guy isn't able to wrestle his 7th match of the day? 

On 6/16/2021 at 11:10 AM, Le duke said:

I'm hoping we still get some of the RTC matches, including college kids, before the college season ramps up. The RTC Cup and the NLWC cards were all great. Particularly the NLWC; if you watched Carter Starocci before his month-long COVID layoff, you knew he was going to be podium-level trouble.

Extra matches should still be a thing. It would be good if they could get them for RS guys, without having to pull their RS. 

/thread

13 hours ago, Idaho said:

Realistically how many times does this happen in a college season where a guy isn't able to wrestle his 7th match of the day? 

It happens occasionally at early season open tournaments, and some tournaments have tried to avoid it by having semifinal losers wrestle for third to eliminate one round of consolation matches. 

Not a big impact change, but not going and shaking the opposing coach's hand is good for the competitor.  Its not required, but it has always been a tradition.  As a competitor, my coach banned me from doing that after a couple of altercations with either the opposing coach, or having to approach the opposing bench.  As a fan, however, I like the potential drama (Gilman)

6 minutes ago, IronChef said:

It happens occasionally at early season open tournaments, and some tournaments have tried to avoid it by having semifinal losers wrestle for third to eliminate one round of consolation matches. 

Maybe I’m off on this but a 32 man bracket with pig tails/out brackets would have a max of 9 matches if you lost early and went all the way through consis to 3rd. On day 1 you would wrestle 3 of those. Out bracket, round 1 of champ then round 1 of consis. All the rest of the matches would be day 2 for 6 matches on Saturday. Some even do 2 rounds of consis on day 1. Correct or not correct? 

I'm sure you've counted correctly, but early season opens are one day events. If you look at the 2019 MSU Open, you'll see numerous instances. At 141, for example, Matt Santos of MSU could not wrestle the consolation semis or 5th place match because they would have been his 7th and 8th matches of the day.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/msuspartans.com/documents/2019/11/2/2019_MSU_Open_Open_Division_Brackets.pdf

14 hours ago, Idaho said:

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

Any time in a full double with over 16 per weight and someone wins his pigtail and loses his second it can happen.

If we have over 16 at a lot of weights we won't do the cons semis and have semi losers go for 3rd so the magic number jumps to 24.

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

I'm sure you've counted correctly, but early season opens are one day events. If you look at the 2019 MSU Open, you'll see numerous instances. At 141, for example, Matt Santos of MSU could not wrestle the consolation semis or 5th place match because they would have been his 7th and 8th matches of the day.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/msuspartans.com/documents/2019/11/2/2019_MSU_Open_Open_Division_Brackets.pdf

17 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Any time in a full double with over 16 per weight and someone wins his pigtail and loses his second it can happen.

If we have over 16 at a lot of weights we won't do the cons semis and have semi losers go for 3rd so the magic number jumps to 24.

So basically this really only applies to a  1 day tournament. 

Edited by Idaho