Sign in to follow this  
silver-medal

Who is Nation's Best Wrestler Next Year?

Sock-Are you trying to say that one guy can still get 4 titles, two of them can get 3 titles, and the last guy can "only" get 2 titles? I assume that is what you meant by saying someone doesn't belong. You guys are too hard on Taylor! "Only" two titles is really good guys!

Ruth is one and Steiber is two. Kind of interesting that right now Ruth is thought of as better than Steiber but in ten years when we look back it will be Steiber who will likely be looked at as the better of the two and will rank higher on all lists.

Sock-Are you trying to say that one guy can still get 4 titles, two of them can get 3 titles, and the last guy can "only" get 2 titles? I assume that is what you meant by saying someone doesn't belong. You guys are too hard on Taylor! "Only" two titles is really good guys!

nelson will graduate as one of the most credentialed wrestlers in next year's class, but he will be far from the top as the best wrestler.

i have it ruth, taylor, stieber. if ruth can figure out how to transition his leg attacks to fs he will finish as #1 10 years down the road. his misdirection is incredible. stieber might have the best skill set, but be low man on the pole as far as physical tools. taylor is your wild card. he will have the stiffest competition when he hits the sr level within the US. what he can do to everyone not named kyle dake at his weight class is unbelievable.

I don't see how you can definitively put Ruth and Stieber ahead of Taylor. Personally, I think Taylor is more dominant than Ruth and Stieber.

Taylor won 29 of his matches with bonus, compared to 26 by Ruth (who had the most matches) and 23 by Stieber. Taylor's only problem was that he couldn't beat Dake. For some reason, that seemed to have dropped Taylor below Ruth and Stieber in everyone's minds - even though he was equally as dominant this year than last (when he won the Hodge) - and still more dominant than Ruth and Stieber (if you look at the stats).

I don't see how you can definitively put Ruth and Stieber ahead of Taylor. Personally, I think Taylor is more dominant than Ruth and Stieber.

Arguing Taylor vs. Stieber or Ruth is splitting hairs at best.

Taylor won 29 of his matches with bonus, compared to 26 by Ruth (who had the most matches) and 23 by Stieber. Taylor's only problem was that he couldn't beat Dake. For some reason, that seemed to have dropped Taylor below Ruth and Stieber in everyone's minds - even though he was equally as dominant this year than last (when he won the Hodge) - and still more dominant than Ruth and Stieber (if you look at the stats).

The stats show two undefeated 2x NCAA champs and one runner-up with 2 losses.

Stieber won 24 of his matches by bonus to Taylor's 29...but Stieber also wrestled fewer matches. Stieber scored the most team points per match in the NCAA. Oh, and he didn't lose.

The stats show two undefeated 2x NCAA champs and one runner-up with 2 losses.

Yes - I was referring to the overall stats against anyone not named Dake - and next year Taylor won't have to wrestle Dake. So, against the rest of the field, Taylor was (at least) as dominant as Stieber or Ruth - and I would argue more so.

Stieber won 24 of his matches by bonus to Taylor's 29...but Stieber also wrestled fewer matches. Stieber scored the most team points per match in the NCAA. Oh, and he didn't lose.

I agree that Stieber and Taylor are very, very close in terms of dominance. But, I would guess that if you took out Taylor's matches with Dake (since we are talking about next year's most dominant wrestler), that Taylor would have scored the most per match.

My argument is simply that Taylor is (slightly) more dominant than Stieber or Ruth against every wrestler not named Dake, and that without Dake, next year Taylor will be the most dominant.

To answer the question Who is the Nations Best Wrestler Next Year (who is in college), there is only one answer, Stieber.

To answer the question Who is the Best Collegiate Wrestler, then id say Ruth then Taylor or Stieber.

Folk, Free, Greco, and from all positions could determine the best wrester. best collegiate wrestler is like asking whos the best a folk.

w.s

I agree that Stieber and Taylor are very, very close in terms of dominance. But, I would guess that if you took out Taylor's matches with Dake (since we are talking about next year's most dominant wrestler), that Taylor would have scored the most per match.

My argument is simply that Taylor is (slightly) more dominant than Stieber or Ruth against every wrestler not named Dake, and that without Dake, next year Taylor will be the most dominant.

1. I'm not sure I agree. Stieber has the same number of pins as Taylor, but in fewer matches.

2. Even if it is true, that's a pretty big "if". THere's only one guy who challenged Stieber this year as well.

is any one else in the camp of.......... what a wrestler does AFTER college should have NO consideration of a GOAT in college. IMO to add post college competition to the argument who was better IN college is apples and oranges. Especially with today's freestyle rules. I suppose if one included free, if one is still in college, at that point it's Utake on top. IMO college in college and it's Smith, Dake, Cael in no particular order because I think you can make a case for each of them as GOAT. I guess arguments could be made for others tho I think that is a huge uphill battle.

I see J. Smith as our greatest free.... because Gable chose not to continue longer.

to answer the question.....Ruth.

I dont quite understand how people call Dake the greatest ever, yet basically punish Taylor for losing to him by a nut hair 3x this year. I mean those 2 couldnt possibly be closer. Taylor has obliterated and embarrassed everybody at the NCAA's like we have never seen the past few years, with the exception of Dake. He gets the short end of the stick from people, and I dont think its right.

is any one else in the camp of.......... what a wrestler does AFTER college should have NO consideration of a GOAT in college. IMO to add post college competition to the argument who was better IN college is apples and oranges. Especially with today's freestyle rules. I suppose if one included free, if one is still in college, at that point it's Utake on top. IMO college in college and it's Smith, Dake, Cael in no particular order because I think you can make a case for each of them as GOAT. I guess arguments could be made for others tho I think that is a huge uphill battle.

I see J. Smith as our greatest free.... because Gable chose not to continue longer.

to answer the question.....Ruth.

huh? Who is throwing out post college information?

The topic is Nations Best Wrestler, just because it is in the college board does not mean the topic was intended to answer who is the best college wrestler.

Again, the best college wrestler is not the same as the best wrestler in college...

w.s

I dont quite understand how people call Dake the greatest ever, yet basically punish Taylor for losing to him by a nut hair 3x this year. I mean those 2 couldnt possibly be closer. Taylor has obliterated and embarrassed everybody at the NCAA's like we have never seen the past few years, with the exception of Dake. He gets the short end of the stick from people, and I dont think its right.

I don't quite understand how not calling Taylor the best guy in the country is an insult. THat applies to lots of people. PUtting hm 3rd behind Ruth and Stieber, two multiple time NCAA champs who just went undefeated, is hardly an insult to his character.

I think it comes down to Taylor and Ruth with Stieber slightly below. Just because the other two are seniors and should dominate their weights. Stieber will have to deal with Ramos or Maple. After Stieber you have Howe, Maple and Nelson.

I think L. Stieber will have a tough time with Maple and will also have to adjust to the higher weight. The scary thing is Ruth will be a lot stronger at 184 after he has another year to adjust to the stronger opponents. We may see Ruth's most dominating year next season. I see 165 as being relatively weak next seaosn. Therefore, I can see Taylor winning every match next season with bonus points which may not make Taylor the best, but may have him looking like the best come Hodge time. If Ruth has another great year I think he deserves a Hodge trophy in his war chest. He's earned it.