treep2000

Team USA OLY Projections

May as well start it... Here we go:

57kg -. Gilman would have to wrestle the tournament of his life to medal.  DNP

65kg - no entry

74kg - Dake coming home without a medal would be a disappointment.  I predict Gold over Sidakov.

86kg - We haven't seen Taylor against top competition since his injury.  He's had close domestic bouts.  Predict Silver, but... Gold over Yazdani is absolutely in play.

97kg - Sadulaev and Mohammadian appear to be on another level.  However, Snyder has this uncanny ability to win... A lot.  As such, predicting Bronze, but Gold or Silver is a definite possibility dependent on draw, and some amazing wrestling 

HWT - calling my shot.  Stevenson for gold.  Shocks the world by beating the two best heavies of modern times, back to back, to win.  

Pick it apart.  I'm not skeered to be wrong, or to be corrected.  ;-)

57- If topside, I have him at Silver.  If bottom, DNP

65-If topside, I have him DNP.  It bottom, DNP

74-Gold regardless

86-Gold regardless

97-I think Cap surprises a fcknuts out of all of us here and takes Gold/Silver in a tightly contested 1 or 2 point match with Sad.

125-We have had a different gent go unscored on each of the last two worlds.  This time, it is either DT or Stevedad.   Stevedad will win Gold and do so with ease before moving on to WWE.

19 hours ago, treep2000 said:

May as well start it... Here we go:

57kg -. Gilman would have to wrestle the tournament of his life to medal.  DNP

65kg - no entry

74kg - Dake coming home without a medal would be a disappointment.  I predict Gold over Sidakov.

86kg - We haven't seen Taylor against top competition since his injury.  He's had close domestic bouts.  Predict Silver, but... Gold over Yazdani is absolutely in play.

97kg - Sadulaev and Mohammadian appear to be on another level.  However, Snyder has this uncanny ability to win... A lot.  As such, predicting Bronze, but Gold or Silver is a definite possibility dependent on draw, and some amazing wrestling 

HWT - calling my shot.  Stevenson for gold.  Shocks the world by beating the two best heavies of modern times, back to back, to win.  

Pick it apart.  I'm not skeered to be wrong, or to be corrected.  ;-)

I really like these picks… pretty much right how I would sum it up. I’m not sure if I’m just being a homer with Steveson, but I think he shocks the world too and wins gold.

Gilman: Bronze or silver depending on the draw. That's as good as it gets. Reality is probably 5th or 7th.

Dake: Gold. He's got it all going right. Bottom for him is bronze. 

Taylor: Gold or silver. On a mission and when he's on he's proved how good he is. I don't see him losing before the finals.

Snyder: Bronze. I just don't see him making the finals or beating Sadulaev. 

Steveson: Bronze. Loses to Geno or Akgul. But dominates everyone else. 

Gilman: DNP. He is a scrappy match for anyone, but there are just too many hammers. If there were true wrestlebacks, I would feel good about him clawing through the backside, but but he might not get pulled back in, and if he does it would be against guys who are better than him right away.

Dake: Gold. Razor thin edge between the three of em, and I think all are the best version of themselves here. He is just so freaking dangerous I think he can overwhelm them in weird positions.

Taylor: Bronze. I wish that I thought he was up to the pressure of the Games, but if it can crack guys like Burroughs and Saitiev to not medal, then I think the holes we have seen from him in the mental game on the biggest stages get him. I would absolutely love to be proven wrong, and I think he is the best wrestler in the weight if Cael and co. can dial him in.

Snyder: Bronze. Doesn't really have anything to do with him, he just has someone who is going to make his claim to the GOAT title now at full power in the weight. Snyder's ceiling just isn't as high as the Tank's, IMHO. He could get by Iran and take a Silver if he shows up completely maxxed out and has a great draw, and you can't question his drive or toughness one bit. 

Stevenson: Bronze. The other guys, who are some of the best to ever do it, are slightly better, much bigger, and just as athletic as he is. I won't believe they can both be beaten by an outsider until I see it.

Gillman- DNP

Dake- I think he is the favorite and will win gold. But he is not a lock (Chael...). Sidakov and Chamizo can push him and Dake doesn't always blow people out of the water,  close matches are close matches and will do funny things. Avtandil is also a legit guy who can cause an upset.

Taylor- Least talented weight class by miles. Its between Taylor and Yazdani. I have questions about Taylors condition. Only other thing to mention is Naifanov who is so mediocre for team Russia. Some rumblings someone else might rep. I think Yazdani gameplans and gets past a slightly out of it Taylor.

Snyder- Snyders taken a lot of losses. Sadulaev is one of those special wrestlers who goes on unbeaten streaks for years at a time and is in his prime. 97 kg has dangerous people filling out spots, guys like Hushtyn who can give a tough match. I'm going with Bronze.

steveNson - Yes he beat gwiz badly, but people are talking about Gwiz like he was some third wheel of the heavyweight scene before Gable dethroned him. He wasn't, He won bronze twice and underperformed with an easy draw in one of them. Gwiz has gone tournaments without medaling and its debatable if he is even medal contender level now. If he really is good enough to beat both Taha and Geno right now, how good would he be in his prime? And how good would he be in College at that level? Going for pinning speed runs Ivan Yarygin style? DNP is my prediction. Loses a close match to a Dzianis or Zare type. 

So  2 golds `1 silver and 1 bronze. 

4 hours ago, nhs67 said:

57- If topside, I have him at Silver.  If bottom, DNP

65-If topside, I have him DNP.  It bottom, DNP

74-Gold regardless

86-Gold regardless

97-I think Cap surprises a fcknuts out of all of us here and takes Gold/Silver in a tightly contested 1 or 2 point match with Sad.

125-We have had a different gent go unscored on each of the last two worlds.  This time, it is either DT or Stevedad.   Stevedad will win Gold and do so with ease before moving on to WWE.

I think you have overrated the dude at 65.

Can't place if you don't get to go. 
Are we supposed to cheer for the guy who beat out Zain?

I think the Argentinian is a legit shot at 0-1. I can't see him medaling at this weight class.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

57 - If he is on Micic's side of the bracket he gets to the Bronze medal match - bronze or 5th

74 - Dake gets his Gold

86 - It is between DT & Yazdani - they could be on the same side or not depending on draw - I am saying Taylor pulls out Gold.  I do believe that the USA's # 2 & 3 could medal at this weight.  Both Bo and Zahid would be heavy favorites to medal if they were on Amine's side of the bracket.   I think Amine has a pretty good shot at medaling.

97 - Snyder gets the Silver - It will be a lot easier if the Iranian is on Sadulaev's side of the bracket but I'll say Silver regardless.  I think Snyder is the only one with a reasonable shot at upsetting AS but it's a long shot.

125 - It is hard to believe that our young guy may be able to take out either of the greatest heavyweight wrestlers to ever step on the mat (let alone both at the same tournament) but I think Gable does it.  Gable for Gold.  

1 hour ago, lu1979 said:

57 - If he is on Micic's side of the bracket he gets to the Bronze medal match - bronze or 5th

74 - Dake gets his Gold

86 - It is between DT & Yazdani - they could be on the same side or not depending on draw - I am saying Taylor pulls out Gold.  I do believe that the USA's # 2 & 3 could medal at this weight.  Both Bo and Zahid would be heavy favorites to medal if they were on Amine's side of the bracket.   I think Amine has a pretty good shot at medaling.

97 - Snyder gets the Silver - It will be a lot easier if the Iranian is on Sadulaev's side of the bracket but I'll say Silver regardless.  I think Snyder is the only one with a reasonable shot at upsetting AS but it's a long shot.

125 - It is hard to believe that our young guy may be able to take out either of the greatest heavyweight wrestlers to ever step on the mat (let alone both at the same tournament) but I think Gable does it.  Gable for Gold.  

I actually think this is really good.

I do think, however, that Snyder is closer to not medaling than he is to beating Sad. I think Snyder is bronze at best, and a match with Sad wouldn't be particularly close - even if the score would suggest a close match.

I think Gable takes Gold as well. I honestly believe Gable is our greatest prospect ever, because in his weight class, he has the opportunity to be the best to ever do it. I don't think he will have the accolades to be at the top of the list when he hangs it up, because I believe he is choosing more lucrative options with his life (as he should), but if he "wanted to" he could be the greatest freestyle heavy the USA has ever seen - and possibly the world level has ever seen. He is his biggest hurdle, because in the past he has seemed a bit uninterested at times (like his NCAA Semi his freshman year).

I wouldn't be surprised if Gable does knock off Geno or Taha, as I think Gable is quicker than both and maybe, maybe he can gas Taha. But still, can Gable move those big bodies around? Plus Taha has a world class gut and leg lace and both him and Geno can score big points in a hurry. Still putting Taha and Geno as favorites over Gable. 

Also would love to see Gable wrestle Zare, and the Russian (who had an attitude towards Taha when Taha was soundly beating him a few weeks ago). HWT should be spectacular in Tokyo.

It's pretty crazy that Stevenson has yet to wrestle in an international tournament and people are talking about him winning Gold and possibly being the HW GOAT already.  I do not see how he beats Taha, he's an underdog against Geno, and 50/50 against Zare.  Happy to eat humble pie if he does what everyone else thinks he will, though. 

Edited by The Genius

19 minutes ago, The Genius said:

It's pretty crazy that Stevenson has yet to wrestle in an international tournament and people are talking about him winning Gold and possibly being the HW GOAT already.  I do not see how he beats Taha, he's an underdog against Geno, and 50/50 against Zare.  Happy to eat humble pie if he does what everyone else thinks he will, though. 

I understand where you are coming from with the lack of results. However, I don't see how you can watch Gable and not understand the hype, or even see "how he beats Taha" in Tokyo. His overall athleticism and chain wrestling, I believe, are unmatched anywhere in the world. It is true that Taha has an amazing top game, but he may never get the chance to get there with Gable. I think Gable is better on his feet than any other heavy in the world. He seems to be peaking right now as well, which is scary, and nobody domestically can even cause him to sweat right now. That is why I think he has a great chance to win Gold, and why I think he has the ability to be the GOAT, but he won't be the GOAT, because he will leave the sport too early to get there.