grappler6

Minnesota Recruiting Class

2 minutes ago, Gantry said:

What is Chittum's projected weight?  Dude basically wrestles whatever for the best challenge, which I love. 

I’m not sure, but he is very old for a sophomore, so he may not have much more growing to do. 

My best guess would be 149. 

7 hours ago, grappler6 said:

2023 class includes

#2 Cody Chittum, TN

#4 Gavin Nelson, MN

Great start to the class with plenty of time to build off of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree - This is the best shape UMinn has looked recruiting wise in quite awhile. If they get a few more guys in this upcoming class- this 2 year group could be very good in a couple of years. 

they frankly don't need much. last year's class was nails. they got Two top 60's for 2022 and two top 5's in '23. 

With Ramos transferring they could still use a 125/133 from the 2023 class, whichever weight Spratley will not be. Could use another 49/57 stud from 2023 whichever weight Chittum will not be. But they have plenty of depth recruits in each of those weight ranges, guys ranked in the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s etc.

If the opportunity is there to get some top p4p kids in those ranges they need to jump on it. Hopefully some more of those kids are looking their way.

I'm always skeptical about earlier commitments. Two studs for sure though.

I understand being a little skeptical on Chittum, but if you know anything about the Nelson family at all I think he is all in.

I understand being a little skeptical on Chittum, but if you know anything about the Nelson family at all I think he is all in.

If you know anything about the Chittum family I wouldn’t be skeptical

"one of these things is not like the others...one of these things just doesn't belong"

Yeah I know, one of these teams hasn’t won an NCAA team championship in the last 60 years. I am assuming they’re on the list because his brother Erik is going there.

50 minutes ago, Le duke said:

I'd bet you a frosty beverage that Mason Gibson is going to Cornell or PSU. 

M2 is going to be the second greatest gift to PSU wrestling, after Cael Sanderson. 

That's quite a statement to make.... let's hope you didn't actually start the hype that turns into "didn't live up to his potential...overrated coming out of high school...biggest flop" 

12 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I’m not sure, but he is very old for a sophomore, so he may not have much more growing to do. 

My best guess would be 149. 

I'd agree that 149 is most likely, with 157 also being a possibility. He has bumped up to 160 and beaten good people like Cael Valencia. 

Historically great classes Minnesota has had were 2003 and 2008. 2003 class was slaughtered by injuries Schlatter, KISH, Reiter and had Koz transfer. 2008 class was a complete bust with Mason and Disney transferring, Deitchler being injured and Geiger failing out. Good recruiting numbers mean little if health isn’t maintained and you don’t get guys who fit the program culture. Historically we have done well with guys who were big into the weigh room who weren’t necessarily top 10 recruits such as Steinhaus, Nelson, Schiller, Pike, Volkmann, Lewis, Hartung, Davids and Eggum

1 hour ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Historically great classes Minnesota has had were 2003 and 2008. 2003 class was slaughtered by injuries Schlatter, KISH, Reiter and had Koz transfer. 2008 class was a complete bust with Mason and Disney transferring, Deitchler being injured and Geiger failing out. Good recruiting numbers mean little if health isn’t maintained and you don’t get guys who fit the program culture. Historically we have done well with guys who were big into the weigh room who weren’t necessarily top 10 recruits such as Steinhaus, Nelson, Schiller, Pike, Volkmann, Lewis, Hartung, Davids and Eggum

Those classes were great, along with 2018 which brought Steveson, Lee, McKee, Joles.  But in my opinion the best class ever for Gopher wrestling was the '98 class that brought in Luke Becker, Jared Lawrence, and Garrett Lowney who were all #1 or 2 at their weight and wrestled in the Dapper Dan/Pittsburgh classic together. Also Leroy Vega came in underrated and was 3x AA, and later Ryan Lewis would transfer in from this class. This was the foundation for 2 national championships including the 10 AA year. They bookended this class before and after which is really the key, and what the Gophers are hopefully currently doing. One good class won't win a championship by itself. You have to tie together several top 10 years and get a few key transfers. 

I agree but those guys fit the program culture in addition to being top recruits. All were hard nosed, loved the weight room and were tough as nails. Minnesota’s team culture has changed a lot to having a lot more finesse wrestlers vs hard nosed bruiser guys who had no issue getting into brawler type matches but also had great technique.

Plenty of guys come in underexposed, historically a lot of MN Class A wrestlers have AA honors from Pike, Kraft, Nagel, Volkmann, Steinhaus, Pfarr. Multi sport athletes in high school.

I would argue that wrestling as a whole has shifted to more finesse wrestling vs hard noised bruiser wrestling. With that, it is important to adapt.

No matter the program, some kids will pan out and some won’t. Recruiting the right type of kid is important. The pressure to win can have you lose your focus from time to time and take chances on kids. Over time sticking to your philosophy and long term vision with generally be most favorable. Recruiting is a hard science to master.