Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TripNSweep

Theoretically how long could you keep your eligibility for?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

This is of course without joining the military or something else like that. Just using regular redshirt, Olympic redshirt, and not including a free year a pandemic might offer. 

Since there is a precedent for the NCAA giving up to 2 years back for Medical Hardship, I would say 10 years is theoretically possible.  1st year defer. 2nd year redshirt. 3rd year compete. 4th Olympic redshirt. 5th injured. 6th compete.  7th year injured. 8th year Olympic redshirt. 9th year compete. 10th year compete. 
 

so that would be 2 oly redshirts. 2 injury years. 1 deferred. 1 redshirt and 4 years of counted competition. 

Edited by MSU158

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TripNSweep said:

Can you defer more than one year? 

Yes, but. Assuming you are saying other than by the military or religious exceptions you can, however, if you do it will cost you one of your normal 5 years and if you compete in that second year it will cost you one of your 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Since there is a precedent for the NCAA giving up to 2 years back for Medical Hardship, I would say 10 years is theoretically possible.  1st year defer. 2nd year redshirt. 3rd year compete. 4th Olympic redshirt. 5th injured. 6th compete.  7th year injured. 8th year Olympic redshirt. 9th year compete. 10th year compete. 
 

so that would be 2 oly redshirts. 2 injury years. 1 deferred. 1 redshirt and 4 years of counted competition. 

I was assuming deferring/grayshirting wouldn't count for OP's hypothetical since you wouldn't have started your eligibility

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I was assuming deferring/grayshirting wouldn't count for OP's hypothetical since you wouldn't have started your eligibility

But, you would still "technically" be eligible that year, post High School...it just doesn't count towards your clock.

Edited by MSU158

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Redshirt

2 Olympic redshirts (Micic did this I believe)

2 Medical redshirts (I believe Cassar was granted 2 just didn’t use them)

 

 

9 years?

So... you are actually not competing in wrestling while competing for longer than you actually are competing????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember Randy Courture being in his late 20's and wrestling for OSU in the early 90's, but he was in the military and therefore his clock was paused.  There was also a Bulgarian by the name of Laszlo Molnar that wrestled Mark Branch in the finals back in 1994, he was rumored to be 28 or 29 at the time.   Which makes me wonder, who is the oldest competitor to ever compete in the NCAA tournament?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, smsu150 said:

I remember Randy Courture being in his late 20's and wrestling for OSU in the early 90's, but he was in the military and therefore his clock was paused.  There was also a Bulgarian by the name of Laszlo Molnar that wrestled Mark Branch in the finals back in 1994, he was rumored to be 28 or 29 at the time.   Which makes me wonder, who is the oldest competitor to ever compete in the NCAA tournament?

Supposedly, at least at the time, Charlie Jones won '92 at the age of 27 and was the oldest to win a title. Couture would have been 28 his last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

To be fair, you are only in school seven of those years :)

True, but your competing and still eligible. If one went on a mission, joined the military and took all 9 years they could be at the top of the podium at age 33. If they played their cards right they could be competing and earning a salary as the head coach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Idaho said:

So... you are actually not competing in wrestling while competing for longer than you actually are competing????

technically, you can still compete (unattached) as a redshirt, and may have competed (in the beginning of the year) during what later becomes a medical redshirt.

Edited by 1032004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Since there is a precedent for the NCAA giving up to 2 years back for Medical Hardship, I would say 10 years is theoretically possible.  1st year defer. 2nd year redshirt. 3rd year compete. 4th Olympic redshirt. 5th injured. 6th compete.  7th year injured. 8th year Olympic redshirt. 9th year compete. 10th year compete. 
 

so that would be 2 oly redshirts. 2 injury years. 1 deferred. 1 redshirt and 4 years of counted competition. 

2018 -- Greyshirt

2019 -- Compete

2020 -- ORS

2021 -- ORS/"Free" year from the NCAA

2022 -- R/S

2023 -- Compete

2024 -- ORS

2025 -- Injured

2026 -- Compete

2027 -- Injured

2028 -- ORS

2029 -- Compete

12 years, including four ORS years for three Olympics.  Vitali Arujau's done the first four, probably along with some others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jdalu75 said:

2018 -- Greyshirt

2019 -- Compete

2020 -- ORS

2021 -- ORS/"Free" year from the NCAA

2022 -- R/S

2023 -- Compete

2024 -- ORS

2025 -- Injured

2026 -- Compete

2027 -- Injured

2028 -- ORS

2029 -- Compete

12 years, including four ORS years for three Olympics.  Vitali Arujau's done the first four, probably along with some others.

In this scenario, one could have a grandchild at the end of his college career. Provided the athlete and his child both started very early. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This 100% needs to be fact-checked but I believe UWW coach Mike Kelly competed at D1 in his mid-30s after active enrollment. Not quite the same, but a fun sidebar to this topic nonetheless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...