Sign in to follow this  
klehner

How's this for Cornell's first dual of the season?

So sayeth Mike Grey:

The first dual of my career as the head coach of Cornell University will be against Stanford at the Friedman Wrestling Center. We are still working on an exact time and date (the head coach over there is a real challenge), but I believe it will be the weekend before Thanksgiving.

Edited by klehner

9 hours ago, klehner said:

So sayeth Mike Grey:

Is this a good idea? I know it's a nice sentiment to Coach Koll, but it also gives a leg up to a program that will now be a rival or the small number of recruits who can compete at the top of D1 and be admitted to a highly selective college.

3 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Is this a good idea? I know it's a nice sentiment to Coach Koll, but it also gives a leg up to a program that will now be a rival or the small number of recruits who can compete at the top of D1 and be admitted to a highly selective college.

Competition is a good idea.  They should hold it mid-winter so the recruits understand what "snowed in" means in practical terms.

1 minute ago, Elevator said:

Its a great idea for the sport and both programs!  Maybe add a third team and make it a tri-meet (Ivies have date restrictions).

It immediately puts Stanford on Cornell's level. Good for Stanford. Maybe good for the sport. Bad for Cornell.

16 minutes ago, NJDan said:

It immediately puts Stanford on Cornell's level. Good for Stanford. Maybe good for the sport. Bad for Cornell.

No - its a mutual benefit for both programs and the sport.  

40 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Avoiding competition because you're afraid of the competition is not good for Cornell.  Putting together a match very early in the season that will create a lot of buzz and will get alot of people's attention is good for Cornell.  Overall in the big picture of things, there's really not any negative at all that can come from this matchup.

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Every school in the country is a rival. They have to wrestle somebody (assuming the Ivies do go ahead this year)

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Avoiding competition because you're afraid of the competition is not good for Cornell.  Putting together a match very early in the season that will create a lot of buzz and will get alot of people's attention is good for Cornell.  Overall in the big picture of things, there's really not any negative at all that can come from this matchup.

It's not that they would be afraid of Stanford-- certainly not this year. It's that it would give Stanford a recruiting boost. It's a nice gift to Koll. That's probably why Grey agreed.

23 minutes ago, NJDan said:

It's not that they would be afraid of Stanford-- certainly not this year. It's that it would give Stanford a recruiting boost. It's a nice gift to Koll. That's probably why Grey agreed.

Okay maybe I could have worded it better,

Avoiding competition out of fear that that one dual meet might accelerate their progress and one day down the road become better than  us.   Still no.

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Also add to this - since this will presumably be the first official dual at the newly renovated Friedman Wrestling Center - no doubt part of the intent is to have Rob back for the opening ceremony.  Classy move by Cornell, IMO.

2 hours ago, NJDan said:

Guess Cornell shouldn’t wrestle any duals then, wouldn’t want to give any of their opponents a recruiting boost.

It should help Cornell more than anyone, since I’m sure it will be well-attended.

It is a class move all the way around.  No hard feelings are present.  Love the idea of having Koll there for the opening.  He was such a big reason for why it has happened.  Get the friendly rivalry kicked off on the right foot.  

Again - I love it.  Kudos to all of them for making this happen.  

7 hours ago, NJDan said:

Cornell should avoid Brown , Harvard, etc this year. Don't want to immediately put them on Cornell's level. Looks like last season was a complete success for Cornell as they didn't make any other program benefit from a dual.

9 hours ago, NJDan said:

Bring back the ducks!  Teams should not compete!  Wrestlers should not compete!  If it might be competitive just duck & forfeit.

QUACK QUACK!!

mallard5-59511d5e5f9b58f0fc660134.jpg

;_;

6 hours ago, nom said:

It is a class move all the way around.  No hard feelings are present.  Love the idea of having Koll there for the opening.  He was such a big reason for why it has happened.  Get the friendly rivalry kicked off on the right foot.  

Again - I love it.  Kudos to all of them for making this happen.  

I agree it's classy. But if you guys don't think the Koll will be snatching recruits from Cornell with its new uncharismatic head coach, you're crazy.

2 hours ago, NJDan said:

I agree it's classy. But if you guys don't think the Koll will be snatching recruits from Cornell with its new uncharismatic head coach, you're crazy.

He doesn’t need to have a dual meet there to try to snatch recruits though...