Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Detroit is like any other big city.  The venue for the tournament is downtown and it will be very safe; as the IronChef pointed out, stay home if you were terrified of being in St. Louis, but show up if you want to see a great meet in a helluva fun city.  Detroit is a true melting pot that has preserved the cultures that have flocked to it and you can find any authentic food and drink here: Mexicantown, Chaldeantown, Dearborn (Arabic), Hamtramck (Polish), Greektown, Corktown (Irish), the list goes on.  Like any big city, know where you're going and you'll be fine and have a great time.  You want awesome dive bars, the place in unequalled.  (Upscale too but that's not my taste and I'm not the guy to recommend anything in that category.)  I'm sure I'll be acting as tour guide for many old friends that week and I have zero worry about guaranteeing a good time to everyone in my posse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Coach_J said:

Detroit is like any other big city.  The venue for the tournament is downtown and it will be very safe; as the IronChef pointed out, stay home if you were terrified of being in St. Louis, but show up if you want to see a great meet in a helluva fun city.  Detroit is a true melting pot that has preserved the cultures that have flocked to it and you can find any authentic food and drink here: Mexicantown, Chaldeantown, Dearborn (Arabic), Hamtramck (Polish), Greektown, Corktown (Irish), the list goes on.  Like any big city, know where you're going and you'll be fine and have a great time.  You want awesome dive bars, the place in unequalled.  (Upscale too but that's not my taste and I'm not the guy to recommend anything in that category.)  I'm sure I'll be acting as tour guide for many old friends that week and I have zero worry about guaranteeing a good time to everyone in my posse.

Do they have Casey's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ionel said:

Do they have Casey's?

The pizza place?  No, but we've got a Casey's Bar.  And Pizzapapalis in Greektown, two inch thick pies and very cold beer.  And Jet's if you want delivery--don't get no better.  And if you come, you have to hit Lafayette Coney Island for an authentic Detroit Coney--steamed bun, natural casing dog, chopped raw onion, no-bean chili, and mustard.

And keep in mind, Detroit is over 140 square miles in area; while its population has depleted (well over a million in its heyday to now about 700,000) it covers a lot of land.  You will have to drive to hit the great pockets of bars/restaurants. If you park in the right spot, you can hit 5-6 great bars at a time. And if you have a hotel along Jefferson Avenue (overlooking the Detroit River), you'll have no problem finding whatever you're looking for.

I think it's also important to note that "Detroit" has never hosted the NCAA; the debacle that was Auburn Hills was a bamboozle job by the NCAA.  Auburn Hills is 34 miles from Detroit and The Palace, the former home of the Pistons, had always been a garbage location, isolated and "safe" for suburbanites but desolate and uninviting.  It was recently put out of its misery and the team has moved back downtown.  Saying that the NCAA was in Detroit when it was in Auburn Hills is akin to saying an event in Morton Grove is in "Chicago."  Sorry, no it ain't.

Honestly, it's not hard to have a damn good time in the D--lots of tradition, a city of speakeasies going back to Prohibition.  If you are timid/believe everything you hear on cable news or your idea of a great bar is TGI Friday's, stay home.  Find someone who knows the turf and you'll be fine.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/caseys-bar-detroit

Edited by Coach_J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to the last NCAAs in Detroit and it was horrible.  2007 I think.  Multiple levels worse than any NCAAs I've been to.  Of course back then it was at Auburn Hills and there were no hotels or dining anywhere close.  And the fan expo was in tents in the parking lot with temperatures in the 20s.  I've loved the wrestling at every NCAAs I've ever been to, but that trip was brutal and whoever the hosts were did a terrible job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, boconnell said:

I went to the last NCAAs in Detroit and it was horrible.  2007 I think.  Multiple levels worse than any NCAAs I've been to.  Of course back then it was at Auburn Hills and there were no hotels or dining anywhere close.  And the fan expo was in tents in the parking lot with temperatures in the 20s.  I've loved the wrestling at every NCAAs I've ever been to, but that trip was brutal and whoever the hosts were did a terrible job.

antifa strikes again smh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2021 at 7:49 PM, Wrestle81 said:

In my opinion.....both places suck...I have been to all 9 NCAA tourneys in St Louis and each one has gotten alittle worse than the one before it!

St. Louis is going downhill pretty fast. I hope they never have it there again. There are way better places to host the NCAA finals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2021 at 9:28 AM, Coach_J said:

Detroit is a true HONEY pot.

FIFY and took out all the crap that made little sense.

Half of my family lives throughout the area still, and I grew up there.  I spent every winter, spring, and summer break trying to visit other family because it sucks there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI-I am messing around guys.  Detroit is much improved from my days in the 80s and and early 2000s.

There are still many better options, but safety shouldn't be a concern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BobDole said:

St. Louis is going downhill pretty fast. I hope they never have it there again. There are way better places to host the NCAA finals.

Only thing that is a driving asset for St Louis is it is geographically situated in the middle of the United States.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Detroit is coming back from the dying town it was 10-15 years ago ,when most of the auto industry vacated the area. New jobs and different manufacturing have slowly moved in and took advantage of a willing workforce.  

Im ready to go. Anything would be better than going to a domed facility.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2021 at 9:28 AM, Coach_J said:

Detroit is like any other big city.  The venue for the tournament is downtown and it will be very safe; as the IronChef pointed out, stay home if you were terrified of being in St. Louis, but show up if you want to see a great meet in a helluva fun city.  Detroit is a true melting pot that has preserved the cultures that have flocked to it and you can find any authentic food and drink here: Mexicantown, Chaldeantown, Dearborn (Arabic), Hamtramck (Polish), Greektown, Corktown (Irish), the list goes on.  Like any big city, know where you're going and you'll be fine and have a great time.  You want awesome dive bars, the place in unequalled.  (Upscale too but that's not my taste and I'm not the guy to recommend anything in that category.)  I'm sure I'll be acting as tour guide for many old friends that week and I have zero worry about guaranteeing a good time to everyone in my posse.

Very informational!

However, I have been told that dive bars have become very upscale in recent years!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pittsburgh was the worst I have attended.  I have been to Okla city, NYC, Philly, Cleveland, Pittsburgh,  St. Louis 2x, 

What made it the worst? Most people I know thought it was pretty good. I went and was happy with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KKIDSDAD said:

Pittsburgh was the worst I have attended.  I have been to Okla city, NYC, Philly, Cleveland, Pittsburgh,  St. Louis 2x, 

 

2 hours ago, IronChef said:


What made it the worst? Most people I know thought it was pretty good. I went and was happy with it.

I am wondering the same thing. I enjoyed Pittsburgh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2021 at 7:13 PM, boconnell said:

I went to the last NCAAs in Detroit and it was horrible.  2007 I think.  Multiple levels worse than any NCAAs I've been to.  Of course back then it was at Auburn Hills and there were no hotels or dining anywhere close.  And the fan expo was in tents in the parking lot with temperatures in the 20s.  I've loved the wrestling at every NCAAs I've ever been to, but that trip was brutal and whoever the hosts were did a terrible job.

994184698_2022NCAAsDetroit.png.2fa2d426c820cb8b7e855792ea90b186.png

 

Sorry you had a bad experience, and you had plenty of company who basically said the same thing.  I was still living in Michigan at the time, so it wasn't bad for me, but certainly not a great way to sell the area.

2022 should be better however.  Downtown Detroit isn't terribly complicated.  In the above diagram, you can see Little Caesars Arena that I have highlighted in pink.  

Probably the easiest ways for the typical NCAA wrestling fan pedestrian to get around is by taking the QLine (thick blue line), basically a streetcar which runs straight down Woodward Avenue, and the People Mover (black line) which loops around all the major parts of downtown including Greektown and Bricktown.  A lot of the hotels, restaurants and nightspots are situated in the vicinity of the People Mover, so fans will probably benefit.  I'm not sure if they've reopened it yet (shut down during COVID), but it will almost certainly be back up by next year.

Just a little preview for next year.  Hopefully we'll do a better job of helping the out-of-town fan.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This just in: people who don't live in cities have no idea what cities are actually like.
 
We know what they're like, we are aware of your fine cultural centers of America. lol

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sheerstress said:

994184698_2022NCAAsDetroit.png.2fa2d426c820cb8b7e855792ea90b186.png

 

Sorry you had a bad experience, and you had plenty of company who basically said the same thing.  I was still living in Michigan at the time, so it wasn't bad for me, but certainly not a great way to sell the area.

2022 should be better however.  Downtown Detroit isn't terribly complicated.  In the above diagram, you can see Little Caesars Arena that I have highlighted in pink.  

Probably the easiest ways for the typical NCAA wrestling fan pedestrian to get around is by taking the QLine (thick blue line), basically a streetcar which runs straight down Woodward Avenue, and the People Mover (black line) which loops around all the major parts of downtown including Greektown and Bricktown.  A lot of the hotels, restaurants and nightspots are situated in the vicinity of the People Mover, so fans will probably benefit.  I'm not sure if they've reopened it yet (shut down during COVID), but it will almost certainly be back up by next year.

Just a little preview for next year.  Hopefully we'll do a better job of helping the out-of-town fan.

 

From the map.Looks like we can take in an opera while we’re there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...