Jump to content

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, AHamilton said:

Very informational!

However, I have been told that dive bars have become very upscale in recent years!

If you attend and you like dive bars, hit Nancy Whiskey and the Old Miami (a bar started by Vietnam vets that takes its name from Missing In Action Michigan--still has the same old crusty couches to sit on from the war era).  You'll need to shower after going but you'll love it.  The Bronx Bar used to be a true dive but new owners have jazzed it up a bit--Newcastle on draft is very cold.

And Secretary Hamilton, you've got one shot.  If you go, I'll be hosting guests from Connecticut and between one set of sessions we'll be hitting the Polish Village Cafe in Hamtramck for real Polish soul food--the first draft Okocim will be on me.  Time (and sobriety) permitting, we'll hit Suzy's, the Whiskey in the Jar, and maybe Trixie's.  Hit me up with a message as we get closer and I'll know more about our schedule.

And outsiders should keep in mind there are numerous old school places that don't take credit cards--cash only.  

Stress, the Q-Line is still shut down as of last week--went to a Tiger game and wanted to hit Z's Villa and leave my car there but the Q was still out of service.  Should be up and running well before tournament time.

And trolls, please, stay home in suburbia, tug at the nipple on your Mich Ultra and watch at Chili's on ESPN the Ocho as you dribble plastic cheese sauce on your polo shirt while munching your extreme nachos.  Leaves more good tickets and parking spots and shorter lines at the bar for the rest of us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be clear, Detroit and Downtown Detroit should be 2 DIFFERENT cities.  This is especially true for Visitors that don't wander.  J gives a lot of great info about Downtown and some of the VERY small pockets of different ethnic food/drink locations.  However, Hamtramck(not much safer than Detroit) is BARELY Polish anymore and is ABSOLUTELY not Polish Centric.  The last time I went there at night I had the pleasure of running from someone with an automatic weapon clearing the establishment with gunfire!  Greektown is only surviving barely due to its proximity to the Casino.  Mexican Village is basically 1 block.  To travel SAFELY to these places you ABSOLUTELY require someone that knows their way around INTIMATELY.

Now, if you stay STRICTLY Downtown via Sheer's map, you should be fine and have no worries.  There is plenty to do and enough restaurants and bars that you should have a great time. But, if you want to do any of the other things, make sure you are with a very trusted local.

Finally, STAY OUT OF Detroit Proper.  There is NO REASON to go into the actual Urban areas of Detroit.  I used to do a ton of work down there, but have slowly minimized my exposure.  The crime is NOT overblown.  The current racial climate and Covid have NOT helped WHATSOEVER.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

To be clear, Detroit and Downtown Detroit should be 2 DIFFERENT cities.  This is especially true for Visitors that don't wander.  J gives a lot of great info about Downtown and some of the VERY small pockets of different ethnic food/drink locations.  However, Hamtramck(not much safer than Detroit) is BARELY Polish anymore and is ABSOLUTELY not Polish Centric.  The last time I went there at night I had the pleasure of running from someone with an automatic weapon clearing the establishment with gunfire!  Greektown is only surviving barely due to its proximity to the Casino.  Mexican Village is basically 1 block.  To travel SAFELY to these places you ABSOLUTELY require someone that knows their way around INTIMATELY.

Now, if you stay STRICTLY Downtown via Sheer's map, you should be fine and have no worries.  There is plenty to do and enough restaurants and bars that you should have a great time. But, if you want to do any of the other things, make sure you are with a very trusted local.

Finally, STAY OUT OF Detroit Proper.  There is NO REASON to go into the actual Urban areas of Detroit.  I used to do a ton of work down there, but have slowly minimized my exposure.  The crime is NOT overblown.  The current racial climate and Covid have NOT helped WHATSOEVER.

Greektown is not only surviving due to it's proximity to the casino. Covid hit Greektown restaurants and bars hard and rehiring has been an issue. Also, the Mexican Village area that you are thinking about is very small, but the entire Mexican Town is very large, not sure if you've been to places like Armando's, Mexican Village Restaurant , Mi Pueblo and El Barzon. 

If anybody is at all concerned, Little Caesars Arena is on Woodward Avenue, the Woodward Avenue area has plenty of hotels, restaurants and bars, you'll be fine, stay close to Woodward. Detroit has hosted some of the biggest events in sports and does a great job!

I guess getting back to my questions, when does tickets normally go on sale????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Michigan wrestling said:

Greektown is not only surviving due to it's proximity to the casino. Covid hit Greektown restaurants and bars hard and rehiring has been an issue. Also, the Mexican Village area that you are thinking about is very small, but the entire Mexican Town is very large, not sure if you've been to places like Armando's, Mexican Village Restaurant , Mi Pueblo and El Barzon. 

If anybody is at all concerned, Little Caesars Arena is on Woodward Avenue, the Woodward Avenue area has plenty of hotels, restaurants and bars, you'll be fine, stay close to Woodward. Detroit has hosted some of the biggest events in sports and does a great job!

I guess getting back to my questions, when does tickets normally go on sale????

Without the Casino, I don't know that it Greektown would even have a chance to really come back.  That was what I meant.  As far as Mexicantown vs. Mexican Village goes, I was only really referring to it from a Visitor's perspective.  Again, I was stressing the need to have a seasoned local on the Nav if you are even going to try to visit these places.    I have been to El Barzon and Mexican Village Restaurant several times, but my favorite was always Xochimilco.  Now, it has been quite some time since Covid basically shut me down to going anywhere, even if they were open, but Mario's is still my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE Italian Steakhouse.

TO BE CLEAR.  If you like an AUTHENTIC Italian Steakhouse, you can do NO BETTER!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Coach_J said:

If you attend and you like dive bars, hit Nancy Whiskey and the Old Miami (a bar started by Vietnam vets that takes its name from Missing In Action Michigan--still has the same old crusty couches to sit on from the war era).  You'll need to shower after going but you'll love it.  The Bronx Bar used to be a true dive but new owners have jazzed it up a bit--Newcastle on draft is very cold.

And Secretary Hamilton, you've got one shot.  If you go, I'll be hosting guests from Connecticut and between one set of sessions we'll be hitting the Polish Village Cafe in Hamtramck for real Polish soul food--the first draft Okocim will be on me.  Time (and sobriety) permitting, we'll hit Suzy's, the Whiskey in the Jar, and maybe Trixie's.  Hit me up with a message as we get closer and I'll know more about our schedule.

And outsiders should keep in mind there are numerous old school places that don't take credit cards--cash only.  

Stress, the Q-Line is still shut down as of last week--went to a Tiger game and wanted to hit Z's Villa and leave my car there but the Q was still out of service.  Should be up and running well before tournament time.

And trolls, please, stay home in suburbia, tug at the nipple on your Mich Ultra and watch at Chili's on ESPN the Ocho as you dribble plastic cheese sauce on your polo shirt while munching your extreme nachos.  Leaves more good tickets and parking spots and shorter lines at the bar for the rest of us.

If my trip doesn't resemble Eminem's life in 8-Mile, I'll be extremely disappointed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Michigan wrestling said:

Greektown is not only surviving due to it's proximity to the casino. Covid hit Greektown restaurants and bars hard and rehiring has been an issue. Also, the Mexican Village area that you are thinking about is very small, but the entire Mexican Town is very large, not sure if you've been to places like Armando's, Mexican Village Restaurant , Mi Pueblo and El Barzon. 

If anybody is at all concerned, Little Caesars Arena is on Woodward Avenue, the Woodward Avenue area has plenty of hotels, restaurants and bars, you'll be fine, stay close to Woodward. Detroit has hosted some of the biggest events in sports and does a great job!

I guess getting back to my questions, when does tickets normally go on sale????

I couldn't say for sure, but I typically get them through the U of M ticket office, and they usually email me about that some time in the fall.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sheerstress said:

I couldn't say for sure, but I typically get them through the U of M ticket office, and they usually email me about that some time in the fall.  

I do believe the NCAA will release a small number to general public first, then allocations to the university's a bit later. Hopefully some people are scared of Detroit and I can get a ticket easier! LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2021 at 8:06 AM, BobDole said:

St. Louis is going downhill pretty fast. I hope they never have it there again. There are way better places to host the NCAA finals.

You won’t have to worry about that until 2027 at least!

Edit to add: and won’t you be 103 by then?

Edited by SetonHallPirate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fletcher said:

If my trip doesn't resemble Eminem's life in 8-Mile, I'll be extremely disappointed.

I'm going to have to put one of my twenty-something tour guides on this.  We'll start you out at the Coliseum at the far west end of 8 Mile just off I-75 (I may have stopped in there in my misguided youth) and see if you can make it to the far east end at I-94.  If you make it, no problem guaranteeing you will be drunk, addicted to heroin, scratching at a social disease, and/or in constant contact with your lawyer.

https://coliseum8mile.com/

(And for the record, I taught Mather's daughter Hailie--very nice kid.)

Edited by Coach_J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, southend said:

From the map.Looks like we can take in an opera while we’re there. 

I’m going to take nhs67 with me. It won’t hurt him. He needs a little more culture, from what I can tell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I worked in Detroit for about 3 years.  It can be very dangerous even just outside of downtown. Ford and Comerica are a blast to walk to and enjoy the outside pubs and beer gardens.   Panhandlers beg on the way to the bar but get very aggressive at the end of the night. I stayed in the Renaissance and 3 different trips we had a body wash up just behind the hotel during a stay.  I was afraid they were going to pin it on me.    Situational awareness is what you need like any city.  If you are walking alone after a night at the Go-go bar and you get a gun in the ribs do not be surprised.  Don't be foolish and you will likely be OK. 

My experience is solely downtown by the Detroit River and across the river in Windsor Canada if you are adventurous.  I love Windsor but it is a hassle - you are leaving the country ,so passports ,new money ,etc.   Lots of fun to be had in a somewhat low rent kind of way.  Detroit Brewing Company, Grand Trunk Pub (shares a name and location with the famous GFR), and a bunch of dive bars some places in Greektown etc. are all good.   Vicente's Cuban food - not a low rent place at all - is really terrific.   Fun to be had, have your last drinks close to your hotel would be my advice. 

I thought Pittsburgh was terrific, not sure how anyone can hate that experience but to each ...... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two very cool areas south of the arena off Woodward about 1/2 mile away.

First Capitol Park (just west of Woodward) has a few hotels are very close Westin Book Cadillac, Aloft and Hotel Indigo. Capitol Park has a couple high end steak joints, plus some Italian, Middle Eastern, Thai and Coffee shops in the Park area.

The second area  just on the other side (east) of Woodward is Parker's Alley. The hotels are near are Shinola Hotel,  Element (by Westin), The Siren and Hilton Garden. The Alley has a bunch of small shops and food options, burgers, pretzels, ice cream shops and some more coffee shops. They also have a pretty cool bar hall called The Brakeman and another Italian restaurant in the Shinola Hotel called San Morello, plus a couple other bars.    

BTW, the Windsor Ballet (in Canada) is always something to see! Hopefully we will be allow to go to Canada by then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2021 at 2:48 AM, Sheerstress said:

994184698_2022NCAAsDetroit.png.2fa2d426c820cb8b7e855792ea90b186.png

 

Sorry you had a bad experience, and you had plenty of company who basically said the same thing.  I was still living in Michigan at the time, so it wasn't bad for me, but certainly not a great way to sell the area.

2022 should be better however.  Downtown Detroit isn't terribly complicated.  In the above diagram, you can see Little Caesars Arena that I have highlighted in pink.  

Probably the easiest ways for the typical NCAA wrestling fan pedestrian to get around is by taking the QLine (thick blue line), basically a streetcar which runs straight down Woodward Avenue, and the People Mover (black line) which loops around all the major parts of downtown including Greektown and Bricktown.  A lot of the hotels, restaurants and nightspots are situated in the vicinity of the People Mover, so fans will probably benefit.  I'm not sure if they've reopened it yet (shut down during COVID), but it will almost certainly be back up by next year.

Just a little preview for next year.  Hopefully we'll do a better job of helping the out-of-town fan.

 

Is Detroit defunding the police?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2021 at 7:49 PM, Wrestle81 said:

In my opinion.....both places suck...I have been to all 9 NCAA tourneys in St Louis and each one has gotten alittle worse than the one before it!

I've been to 42 NCAA's, and St. Louis may be my favorite venue.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been to every NCAA since 2000 and while St. Louis was great I agree with the consensus that it has dipped in quality recently.  The loss of Union Station and the slow devolution of the downtown area are both major factors in said decline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been to 43 NCAA's starting with Princeton in 75.....there was a time I agreed with many that St Louis was the best spot for us....however I have definitely notice the city getting less and less friendly and much dirtier....to the point that it was real creepy leaving the arena  and heading back to the outdated downtown hotels last March... concessions in the arena is awful also...this past year no brackets before sessions , no team scores after top 10 ( not everyone follows Iowa, Penn state,Ohio State and Oklahoma State) believe it or not, crappy AA parade, bossy ushers, pain in the arse metal detectors( for what- never seen a wrestling fan throw a single thing on the mat)...and impossible to buy group of 4 lower level tickets , where buddies can sit together! Old time wrestling fans are getting f'd over .....it's amazing I keep going!  Oh! The wrestlers are great!!!! That's why!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wrestle81 said:

I have been to 43 NCAA's starting with Princeton in 75.....there was a time I agreed with many that St Louis was the best spot for us....however I have definitely notice the city getting less and less friendly and much dirtier....to the point that it was real creepy leaving the arena  and heading back to the outdated downtown hotels last March... concessions in the arena is awful also...this past year no brackets before sessions , no team scores after top 10 ( not everyone follows Iowa, Penn state,Ohio State and Oklahoma State) believe it or not, crappy AA parade, bossy ushers, pain in the arse metal detectors( for what- never seen a wrestling fan throw a single thing on the mat)...and impossible to buy group of 4 lower level tickets , where buddies can sit together! Old time wrestling fans are getting f'd over .....it's amazing I keep going!  Oh! The wrestlers are great!!!! That's why!

I agree that St Louis has gone down as a host since starting in 2000 (y2k?). Mostly because Union Station lost several restaurants. I didn't get to go this year but most of what you describe was obviously due to Covid. Not sure if lack of brackets are covid-related or not. Might not have been cost effective to print because of crowd limitations but everything is on-line and always up-to-date. The paper is only up-to-date if you do it after the first bout. And I don't remember seeing anyone keep full team scores themselves at anything other than a smaller event. Trying to think how many arenas DON'T use metal detectors any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...