I never fill in brackets, usually buy knew ones ( updated) before each session...I like all team scores listed...I like seeing how smaller Eastern programs are doing, like having paper brackets fresh and in my hands....doing all that on my phone would take me forever..lol also all tickets were by phone this year- hope that doesn't become a trend( I collect event tickets).....I bought mine off an old hs coach from Illinois , WIN magazine publisher saw us struggling to transfer tickets from phone to phone ,so he stepped in and helped us( otherwise we'd still be there)

40 minutes ago, Wrestle81 said:

I never fill in brackets, usually buy knew ones ( updated) before each session...I like all team scores listed...I like seeing how smaller Eastern programs are doing, like having paper brackets fresh and in my hands....doing all that on my phone would take me forever..lol also all tickets were by phone this year- hope that doesn't become a trend( I collect event tickets).....I bought mine off an old hs coach from Illinois , WIN magazine publisher saw us struggling to transfer tickets from phone to phone ,so he stepped in and helped us( otherwise we'd still be there)

Doing what on your phone? You just look at them already updated after each bout. All team scores are always updated.

IIRC, the first year we (I) started updating online was in 1997 at UNI. Can't remember how often things were updated. Certainly not after every bout for several years. I think Track started doing NCAAs about 10 years ago so constant updates would have been going on since then. I don't think Kreider did constant updating but I could be wrong there. I was using EscapeSports my last couple years at D1s (2005,2006) but don't think we started doing what we called our live scoring for a few years yet after that. And even then both Kreider and I didn't have computers at mat-side so we were dependent on waiting for bout sheets to be returned to us.

Bottom line here is that you could simply look online on your phone for certainly ten years and to an extent twenty some to have more up-to-date info than was on the paper brackets from the beginning of the session.

On 7/2/2021 at 8:09 AM, gowrestle said:

Is Detroit defunding the police?

Detroit, like almost every city in the country, is increasing police funding next year just like they did this year, and the year before that, and the year before that, etc... Some of y'all live in an alternate reality.

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

Detroit, like almost every city in the country, is increasing police funding next year just like they did this year, and the year before that, and the year before that, etc... Some of y'all live in an alternate reality.

Why is that necessary? ;_;

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

So why is it an "alternate reality" when in fact city officials and politicians have in the past discussed defunding the police??   Weird that asking the question triggered you enough that you would try and insult people.

I do think most people will like Little Caesars arena, it's basically brand new. They have 3 individual restaurant/bars at/in the arena, but certainly can find much better food options downtown.  A lot of variety of food options inside from brisket, burritos, tacos, pulled pork, sausage, pizza hot dogs, coneys, Mac and cheese and healthy options etc.

Very nice score board/jumpo screen, even from the first few rounds, they have screens under/inside.  The one problem, for the top 10 rows the seats are steep and it can be a little tough seeing the near side mats. The seats behind the nets and corner are better than the ones at center ice. Also those top 10 rows at center ice viewing of the jumbo screen is cut off, can't see it all but they have individual screens up top though. 

Lots of suites if you can afford it! The concourse area is really big and wide won't feel claustrophobic at all. Also tons of bathrooms!

17 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

You have conclusively concluded the conclusion. 

20 hours ago, Coach_J said:

Surest sign of being triggered...accusing someone else of being triggered.

Wow...great come back.  

You care to address the fact that someone needed to try and insult people for merely asking a valid question?? 

How about this, did city officials and politicians in fact discuss defunding the police??

21 hours ago, dman115 said:

So why is it an "alternate reality" when in fact city officials and politicians have in the past discussed defunding the police??   Weird that asking the question triggered you enough that you would try and insult people.

It's an alternate reality because it hasn't happened. Joe Biden also said he was going to cure cancer. Is cancer cured now? It's not that complicated. Claiming the police have been defunded is like saying the sky is green.

And it's telling that you took that as an insult. Maybe a little sensitive that something you believe is demonstrably false? I was just stating a fact that budgets have increased.

It's curious that nothing seems to annoy conservatives more than when you tell them the "good news" that none of the things they're mad about are actually happening. Knowing that the police aren't being defunded should bring you a sense of relief! It's almost as if the worldview is entirely based around a sense of aggrievement and entitlement.

Edited by uncle bernard

21 hours ago, dman115 said:

The entire problem was in 2020 when we had very little we could do,  words got tossed around with new meanings.  Defunded didn't mean defund somehow,  but neither did a lot of other terms.  Reform,  redistribute and so many other words could have been used.   Not like we are going to call the Culligan man if someone beats grandma up for a wooden nickel. 

5 minutes ago, Swayz said:

The entire problem was in 2020 when we had very little we could do,  words got tossed around with new meanings.  Defunded didn't mean defund somehow,  but neither did a lot of other terms.  Reform,  redistribute and so many other words could have been used.   Not like we are going to call the Culligan man if someone beats grandma up for a wooden nickel. 

One the one hand, using the "incorrect" term defund (for  most of us) became divisive. But on the other, it's the first time people on both sides took to the discussion and actually thought about some of the subjects involved. Perhaps, police, as presently trained, aren't the best people to call in all circumstances. At least it's being discussed seriously for once.

32 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

It's an alternate reality because it hasn't happened. Joe Biden also said he was going to cure cancer. Is cancer cured now? It's not that complicated. Claiming the police have been defunded is like saying the sky is green.

And it's telling that you took that as an insult. Maybe a little sensitive that something you believe is demonstrably false? I was just stating a fact that budgets have increased.

It's curious that nothing seems to annoy conservatives more than when you tell them the "good news" that none of the things they're mad about are actually happening. Knowing that the police aren't being defunded should bring you a sense of relief! It's almost as if the worldview is entirely based around a sense of aggrievement and entitlement.

Who ever claimed that defunding the police happened???  And you are right...it isn't that complicated...someone just asked the question if the police had been "defunded" in Detroit...they hadn't been...end of story.  I am not annoyed at anything other than the fact that YOU are the one who made something out of nothing and tried to insult a group of people.  

3 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

One the one hand, using the "incorrect" term defund (for  most of us) became divisive. But on the other, it's the first time people on both sides took to the discussion and actually thought about some of the subjects involved. Perhaps, police, as presently trained, aren't the best people to call in all circumstances. At least it's being discussed seriously for once.

And many officers will tell you that they don't want to be the ones who respond to those situations. They aren't trained for them. An all too common scenario is officers getting called to respond to a suicidal person and they end up shooting the person themselves. 

There's also a larger question as to how to best use funds to address crime. Police budgets are extremely bloated. Many departments are armed better than other countries' militaries. Does a suburban town need multiple armored vehicles? Obviously not. Would money spent on high end military equipment be better used for social programs that address root causes of crime, making cities and policing safer over the long term? That's the argument.

1 minute ago, dman115 said:

Who ever claimed that defunding the police happened???  And you are right...it isn't that complicated...someone just asked the question if the police had been "defunded" in Detroit...they hadn't been...end of story.  I am not annoyed at anything other than the fact that YOU are the one who made something out of nothing and tried to insult a group of people.  

tenor.gif?itemid=12540386

On 7/5/2021 at 8:59 AM, uncle bernard said:

Several major cities defunded or at least cut some funding to their police departments, although some are now restoring that funding.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2020/08/13/at-least-13-cities-are-defunding-their-police-departments/?sh=5a21cf5c29e3

Detroit did not cut their funding.  

2 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

what 'alternative reality' are you living in that major cities have in fact cut police funding?

some of them are refunding b/c, in a miraculous revelation that no liberal mayor could foresee, they realized that it was a terrible idea. 

2 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

It's an alternate reality because it hasn't happened.

Police budgets haven't been chopped in LA, NYC,  and Seattle?

Edited by Husker_Du

The simple answer to the original question is NO, the police haven't been defunded in Detroit, although like in most other major US cities, the topic has been discussed.  

https://www.michiganradio.org/post/year-after-defund-protests-most-large-michigan-cities-spending-more-police-not-less

Can we move on now?