Jump to content
BigTimeFan

USA Wrestling all-time fantasy 74kg tournament

Recommended Posts

I’ve always been curious how this would shake out. Put them all in one big tournament. Let’s automatically qualify anyone who one a medal at the world or Olympic championships at 74kg. 

Wayne Wells - 1970, 1972 gold, 1969 silver
Stan Dziedzic - 1976 Bronze, 1977 gold
Lee Kemp - 1978, 79, 82 gold, 1981 bronze 
Dave Schultz - 1983, 84 gold, 85, 87, 93 silver 86 bronze
Kenny Monday - 1988, 89 gold, 91 silver 
Brandon Slay - 2000 gold
Joe William’s - 2001,2005 bronze
Donny Pritzlaff
Jordan Burroughs - 2011, 12, 13, 15, 17 gold (!!), 2014, 2018, 2018 silver 

* I’m only included medals at 74kg. For example, I didn’t include Dave Schultz’s bronze at 82kg in 1982. 

Let’s wildcard in two obvious choices 

Kyle Dake - 2018, 19 world champion 79kg
Wade Schalles - 1976 Tbilisi champion and outstanding wrestler 74kg. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since JB is considered in the GOAT category, regardless of weight, it would be difficult to argue against him within his weight. 

JB wins this hypothetical bracket, with Schultz taking Silver.  

Recency bias has be believing Dake would be third, and also the recency bias of him taking out one of the GOATs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we go GOAT of each person, I’m putting 2012 burroughs in the finals against 2021 Dake.  In this hypothetical, if Dake has time to scout him, he wins, if not, he loses pretty handily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lurker said:

Monday has an Olympic silver to go with his Gold. 
 

Put He, Kemp, Schultz, and Burroughs in the semi-final...and holy **** have some fun. Wrestle that ten different times, and 1-4 it comes out 10 different ways. 

Great catch, thanks !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BigTimeFan said:

I agree this is about “in their prime”. When I look at JB no matter how much I admire him I can’t imagine him beating Monday or Schultz. 

I agree with this, but with the caveat that if it is under the rules of tosay, JB does win.  If 80s?  He gets something broken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 77again said:

1. Kemp

2. Burroughs

3. Shultz

4. Wells

5. Monday

6. Dziedzic

7. Williams

Slay and Pritzlaff in a constant battle for 8th on this list.

Interesting through 88 I don’t think Monday ever beat Schultz. After 88 it was the opposite. JB VS Kemp would be a classic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BigTimeFan said:

I agree this is about “in their prime”. When I look at JB no matter how much I admire him I can’t imagine him beating Monday or Schultz. 

Are you kidding? I haven’t seen much footage of Monday, but I’ve seen footage of Schultz, and prime JB would have teched him. 

Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Katie said:

Are you kidding? I haven’t seen much footage of Monday, but I’ve seen footage of Schultz, and prime JB would have teched him. 

I love both JB and Schultz, watched them both MANY times.....JB does not tech Schultz....Schultzy was very crafty....he knew the sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 77again said:

1. Kemp

2. Burroughs

3. Shultz

4. Wells

5. Monday

6. Dziedzic

7. Williams

Slay and Pritzlaff in a constant battle for 8th on this list.

Maybe in a fantasy tournament Joe Williams beats Brandon Slay.  I guess Williams was the Taylor of his day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 77again said:

1. Kemp

2. Burroughs

3. Shultz

4. Wells

5. Monday

6. Dziedzic

7. Williams

Slay and Pritzlaff in a constant battle for 8th on this list.

Schalles would stick somebody. You know he's gotta be up there. Him vs Schultz would be worth every second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Katie said:

Are you kidding? I haven’t seen much footage of Monday, but I’ve seen footage of Schultz, and prime JB would have teched him. 

Love ya Katie, but now you’ve gone too far! No one every teched Schultz. I give you this, though. If you watch the 1988 best of three Schultz-Monday series, Monday beats Schultz with a style similar to JB’s. Lots of shots from afar with quick finishes when completely neutralized Schultz’s amazing defense. 

Also, I’m a hugE Schultz home as I lived and trained with him and Mark in Palo Alto one glorious spring a long time ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

I love both JB and Schultz, watched them both MANY times.....JB does not tech Schultz....Schultzy was very crafty....he knew the sport.

100%

Peak JB may beat DS more often than not, but not by tech.  He wouldn't blast double him for 4 more than once (if even once) and JBs par-tere isn't going to score multiple laces/guts/exposures on a 1983-85 Dave Schultz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Monday who beat Fadzaev could 100% beat Burroughs. Monday, Schultz, Kemp are all capable of taking Burroughs upper body and sending him for a ride or neutralizing him somewhat with the threat of that (like Dake did). They are all more complete in every position than JB, imho.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2021 at 9:37 PM, boconnell said:

Maybe in a fantasy tournament Joe Williams beats Brandon Slay.  I guess Williams was the Taylor of his day.

Williams beat him over their careers about 8 times compared to the only time Slay won was his "magical" run in 2000.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Keisha_Phillips said:

Williams beat him over their careers about 8 times compared to the only time Slay won was his "magical" run in 2000.  

One guy beat the other guy and went on to win Olympic gold with a win over maybe the greatest wrestler ever.  The other guy won two bronze medals and beat the other guy a bunch in college.  It's not hard to decide who was better in their prime.  

Either way they are near the bottom of this awesome group.  I probably shouldn't have bothered arguing over who was 7th and who was 8th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, boconnell said:

One guy beat the other guy and went on to win Olympic gold with a win over maybe the greatest wrestler ever.  The other guy won two bronze medals and beat the other guy a bunch in college.  It's not hard to decide who was better in their prime.  

Either way they are near the bottom of this awesome group.  I probably shouldn't have bothered arguing over who was 7th and who was 8th.

Just look at what was going on in the MLB at the time, you call it his prime, i'll call it a "magical" run.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Keisha_Phillips said:

Just look at what was going on in the MLB at the time, you call it his prime, i'll call it a "magical" run.  

There you go.  

A guy wins while being tested, you have no proof and no indicators of any kind, and you think using quotation marks somehow dirties his accomplishment.  It doesn't.  It says a lot more about you than it does about him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...