Wrestleknownothing

NCAA NIL Policy draft

The Athletic is reporting that the NCAA has drafted an interim name, image and likeness policy outlining its rules. With the new policy (which is expected to be approved by the D1 Board of Directors on Wednesday), athletes in all states will have an opportunity to monetize their NIL beginning July 1. Athletes will be required to report any NIL activities under any state law or university requirements. This does not change the NCAA rules barring institutional pay-for-play (i.e. none of the money comes from the schools).

Other provisions include the athlete has to do work to earn the money, and pay can not be contingent on their achievements.

Given last week's unanimous Supreme Court ruling regarding capping academic pay, the NCAA appears to be very concerned about anti-trust issues so they have kept the policy simple and left the bulk of policy choices to the individual schools.

After the D1 Council meets on Monday to discuss the working draft and provide feedback they are expected to pass a final version to the Board of Directors on Wednesday. According to the NCAA memo "it is necessary to take specific, short-term action" effective July 1 as a stopgap until federal legislation is adopted.

Let the money rush begin on Thursday. At a minimum I would expect AJ Ferrari and RBY to announce deals immediately. Who else do you think will announce a deal or deals on Thursday?

NCAA Interim Policy

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

2 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

It’s going to become standard from boosters as part of recruiting. And Spencer Lee is probably the most marketable wrestler given the number of Iowa fans. 

Agreed that he would be in high demand. Any one else from Iowa?

After his performance and interviews after winning NCAA's I have to think Shane Griffith has a marketable NIL.

It is going to be fascinating to see which programs have the sophistication, resources and dynamic thinking to be on the cutting edge on this legislation.  It will likely be clear in the next week and month who leading and who is following.

31 minutes ago, Class said:

It is going to be fascinating to see which programs have the sophistication, resources and dynamic thinking to be on the cutting edge on this legislation.  It will likely be clear in the next week and month who leading and who is following.

Given the way PSU embraced creating content and maintaining ownership via Rokfin I have to believe they view this as another opportunity to seperate themselves from the pack.

3 hours ago, IronChef said:

Gable has 245K Instagram followers, more than twice as many as Spencer. I do think Lee has a chance to cash in given both his success and popularity with the Iowa fanbase. If he started selling shirts with his name on it, every person at Carver-Hawkeye would have one on.

Shirts with his name on it, autograph signings at car dealerships. Appearance/speaker fees for local businesses.  Gable has a bigger future, and especially if he wins gold this summer he will have more name recognition than Lee, but in the short term I think this decision will separate Iowa and PSU even more from the rest of the pack.  The other thing with Gable is that the accusation from his past will limit the willingness of larger corporations to market him/work with him (WWE and UFC excluded).  They care about their image, and regardless of Gable's success on the mat, Taylor, Burroughs, and Dake all have the same marketability without the risk.  

schools are by and large not going to let themselves get f'd by this. they are going to let the boosters find ways to pay the kids in the open rather than set a strict standard and start losing kids to schools who will simply pay them.

I have no issue with any athlete cashing in. My question is this and it may not have nothing to do with college wrestlers

You have a decent or star QB  that is very marketable playing for a big major school. 

QB starts to immediately rake in the big big cash as a Freshman starter. New townhouse, several cars, rolex and jewelry etc.

Starting lineman that may have struggled financially their whole life gets little if anything from likeness but keep QB safe

Do you see any issues with the lesser known starters that are not as marketable and not cashing in like the QB?

2 hours ago, russling said:

I have no issue with any athlete cashing in. My question is this and it may not have nothing to do with college wrestlers

You have a decent or star QB  that is very marketable playing for a big major school. 

QB starts to immediately rake in the big big cash as a Freshman starter. New townhouse, several cars, rolex and jewelry etc.

Starting lineman that may have struggled financially their whole life gets little if anything from likeness but keep QB safe

Do you see any issues with the lesser known starters that are not as marketable and not cashing in like the QB?

There certainly could be down the line, but I think initially everyone will be glad to out from under the NCAA's thumb. Every athlete has to see the hypocrisy of the current system where the NCAA says we are keeping the athletes poor for their own good and the good of the sport while those making the rules are enriching themselves. So initially, I think everyone will be happy for the QB. But memories are short. So at some point in the future as people forget how it use to be, they will be unhappy with how it is. For this reason I think the rules will evolve.

But let's not solely focus on the star athlete. Here is a perfect example of someone who is not a star, but is still very successful with NIL.

There are also many creative, business savvy athletes who are in no way stars, that will benefit just as this NAIA volleyball player has:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/karenweaver/2020/12/23/thanks-to-naia-nil-rules-aquinas-college-volleyball-player-becomes-first-to-monetize-her-personal-brand/?sh=1014fc183186

On 6/26/2021 at 8:26 PM, Billyhoyle said:

Shirts with his name on it, autograph signings at car dealerships. Appearance/speaker fees for local businesses.  Gable has a bigger future, and especially if he wins gold this summer he will have more name recognition than Lee, but in the short term I think this decision will separate Iowa and PSU even more from the rest of the pack.  The other thing with Gable is that the accusation from his past will limit the willingness of larger corporations to market him/work with him (WWE and UFC excluded).  They care about their image, and regardless of Gable's success on the mat, Taylor, Burroughs, and Dake all have the same marketability without the risk.  

They aren’t in college though. So In theory they should be and probably already are / have capitalized on the market. It won’t be knew monetization because of the new ncaa stance. 

59 minutes ago, Downtown Brown said:

They aren’t in college though. So In theory they should be and probably already are / have capitalized on the market. It won’t be knew monetization because of the new ncaa stance. 

Right, but Gable is going to be competing with them for his marketing deals. Spencer Lee isn't even in the same league as those guys, but has the huge advantage in monetizing the Iowa fanbase.  

On 6/26/2021 at 8:17 PM, IronChef said:

Gable has 245K Instagram followers, more than twice as many as Spencer. I do think Lee has a chance to cash in given both his success and popularity with the Iowa fanbase. If he started selling shirts with his name on it, every person at Carver-Hawkeye would have one on.

In my experience, T-shirts always break even or lose money when sold on a small scale. So, on an Iowa scale, I imagine the profit would be modest.

Who knew it was World Social Media Day?

Who knew there was a World Social Media Day?

Pretty amazing top 5. Two wrestlers, a MENs gymnast, a younger brother, and finally a basketball player who scored 21 points last year. That is 21 total, not per game.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

On 6/26/2021 at 2:51 PM, Billyhoyle said:

It’s going to become standard from boosters as part of recruiting. And Spencer Lee is probably the most marketable wrestler given the number of Iowa fans. 

But do the Iowa fans have money to throw at him? Most can barely afford a trip to the dentist.

Who knew it was World Social Media Day?
Who knew there was a World Social Media Day?
Pretty amazing top 5. Two wrestlers, a MENs gymnast, a younger brother, and finally a basketball player who scored 21 points last year. That is 21 total, not per game.

I think this shows that actually working to cultivate your online persona can pay off. It doesn't just happen. RBY has 126K followers. Aaron Brooks has 17K. There's isn't a lot of difference between the two wrestling-wise, but RBY is good at social media.