ChicagoHawk

Rby and Lee moving up ?

Nick lee going 149 would be good for his freestyle aspirations I would think.  More experience with slightly bigger bodies, etc.  RBY moving to 141... Unsure of the overall benefit unless he's packing on some more muscle and is having weight cut concerns. 

Either way, they will be tough outs and contenders immediately.  

18 hours ago, jp157 said:

Wouldn’t be shocking. 

I would make a joke about Fix finding someone else to stand in front of and do nothing but push in the finals again. But I kinda actually hope he finally gets one

No, your instinct to mock Fix is right on. I want him to get there every year and then just look at the guy for 7+ minutes while periodically looking quizzically at the ref or JWS. Then when he loses, we can all laugh and laugh. 

Similar but different: I wish the rules hadn't changed and that Heil would have won three. Then as he released his crotch lock, rolled off his back, and got his hand raised, we could all have laughed/booed and laughed/booed.

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

Nick lee going 149 would be good for his freestyle aspirations I would think.  More experience with slightly bigger bodies, etc.  RBY moving to 141... Unsure of the overall benefit unless he's packing on some more muscle and is having weight cut concerns. 

Either way, they will be tough outs and contenders immediately.  

I’m sure RBY would do fine at 141.  But it’d make no sense for the team unless 133 is a bad cut for him which I’ve heard it wasn’t.  But they don’t have much else at 133 (especially next year with Howard seemingly out), and they’ve already got multiple young studs that could go 141 in Bartlett and Van Ness, although I guess technically both of them could still redshirt.

If Steen does well at 125 though, wouldn’t be surprised to see RBY at 141 in 2022-23 with Howard at 133.

On 6/28/2021 at 8:21 AM, nhs67 said:

RBY at 141 would surprise me.

He is an average sized 133lber.

I am taking the under on RBY @ 141 for the coming season and assume it is goofing around.  PSU seems to have depth at 141 in any event. 

Covid free year created unexpected interference with expected recruiting/development/lineup cycles and will force a fair amount of uncommon depth for a year or two on many top programs.   Stronger programs often have wrestlers on the bench who can compete at a very high level.  I think there was a wrestler named Corey Anderson who stepped in for the EIWA tourney and won it at 190 or 197 - cannot recall specifcally how well he did at NCAA's - I think pretty well.  Obviously, Keystone Classic Champion Cassar was behind Rasheed and came off the bench in a huge dual against Ohio State and took out the top guy at 197.  Has some success at Hwt after that too!        

I think the likely lineup is Steen - RBY - BB - N. Lee. There's no way they don't get either BB or SVN in the lineup this year.

Next year, Howard (Steen RS) - RBY - BB - SVN.

After that, Steen - Howard - BB - SVN. Unless they pick up a Bouzakis or Mendez level recruit, which is obviously very possible.

Edited by Le duke

3 hours ago, Le duke said:

I think the likely lineup is Steen - RBY - BB - N. Lee. There's no way they don't get either BB or SVN in the lineup this year.

Next year, Howard (Steen RS) - RBY - BB - SVN.

After that, Steen - Howard - BB - SVN. Unless they pick up a Bouzakis or Mendez level recruit, which is obviously very possible.

For 2021-22, I think this lineup makes the most sense:

125: Steen
133: RBY
141: N. Lee
149: SVN
157: M. Lee

Bartlett redshirts.

Then in 2022-23:

125: Howard
141: Bartlett

Steen redshirts.

18 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

For 2021-22, I think this lineup makes the most sense:

125: Steen
141: N. Lee

Bartlett redshirts.

Then in 2022-23:

125: Howard
141: Bartlett

Steen redshirts.

Given that SVN was recently wrestling at 63kg, I don't think he's going to have the horsepower to wrestle full sized 149lb guys this upcoming season. BB looked pretty small against true 149lb guys, too (Sasso, Thomas, etc). Unless both of them are hitting the weights hard and/or have a growth spurt, I don't see either of them at 149 this year.

Edited by Le duke

2 hours ago, Le duke said:

Given that SVN was recently wrestling at 63kg, I don't think he's going to have the horsepower to wrestle full sized 149lb guys this upcoming season. BB looked pretty small against true 149lb guys, too (Sasso, Thomas, etc). Unless both of them are hitting the weights hard and/or have a growth spurt, I don't see either of them at 149 this year.

That's a good point.  So you think that Nick moves up to 149 now that he has his championship at 141?  It's probably what's best for the team.

Just now, ShakaAloha said:

That's a good point.  So you think that Nick moves up to 149 now that he has his championship at 141?  It's probably what's best for the team.

Yeah. I think BB or SVN are both better at 141 than 149 this year.

I don't see anyone not named Yianni beating him at either weight. I think both Lee and Eierman could have weighed in at 141 and beaten Sasso at 149.

And, his FS aspirations are best served by going 149.