nom

NYTimes - Olympics people to watch - no wrestling

8 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

It might be helpful if you actually look at the post I was responding to (which I had quoted) that is more focused around TV exposure and streaming deals not the NYT article.

Also, I am not saying that wrestling's leadership is a colossal failure. I am saying that if wrestling is as amazing and as exciting as we say it is, we should be farther along than the cornhole crew. The other side of that coin is that wrestling is not as exciting to the masses as we think it is and the fine folks at USA wrestling are doing the best they can with a bad hand. 

I know what post you were quoting.  And...you actually did say...."then those in charge are colossal failures".  I mean...word for word.  But you chose to leave out the 'other side of the coin' first time, until something was said.  

But fair enough, to each their own.  Have a great Taco Tuesday!!

cornhole and other "sports" get on TV because they pay to get on TV and then the networks are able to sell ads during that time slot...

if anyone expects USAW to spend their ridiculously limited budget on paying the ocho to condense an event into 22 minutes to get on TV for no one to really watch it past those of us who already tdo, then, trust me when i say, my bridge is awesome and i will make you a great deal on it...

9 minutes ago, LJB said:

cornhole and other "sports" get on TV because they pay to get on TV and then the networks are able to sell ads during that time slot...

if anyone expects USAW to spend their ridiculously limited budget on paying the ocho to condense an event into 22 minutes to get on TV for no one to really watch it past those of us who already tdo, then, trust me when i say, my bridge is awesome and i will make you a great deal on it...

nm,

Edited by Lurker

2 minutes ago, LJB said:

nah...

but...

it still made me chuckle...

all i'm looking for...

Yes, I sometimes edit one minute after posting...

Yes, I sometimes wear my hat backwards...

BUT...I still use these.................................................................................................................

14 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Yes, I sometimes edit one minute after posting...

Yes, I sometimes wear my hat backwards...

BUT...I still use these.................................................................................................................

i knew you were a closet backwards hat guy...

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I know what post you were quoting.  And...you actually did say...."then those in charge are colossal failures".  I mean...word for word.  But you chose to leave out the 'other side of the coin' first time, until something was said.  

But fair enough, to each their own.  Have a great Taco Tuesday!!

Again, you leave out important context and for some reason. I said that 'if wrestling is as exciting as we claim it to be'. Is wrestling as exciting as we claim it to be? If yes, then I did call them colossal failures. If no, then they are not. I didn't spell it out the first time because I didn't realize I needed to. 

10 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

Again, you leave out important context and for some reason. I said that 'if wrestling is as exciting as we claim it to be'. Is wrestling as exciting as we claim it to be? If yes, then I did call them colossal failures. If no, then they are not. I didn't spell it out the first time because I didn't realize I needed to. 

my dear old grand pappy would call that a crawdaddy...

making a weak attempt to compare anything wrestling wise to a game that is outside every restaurant, 20 alongside each other in every white suburban neighborhood park, in 75% of suburban backyards, played by every drunk college kid in a schmedium shirt and backwards hat, and can be somewhat relatable to most overweight frustrated ex-nobodies living a life of quiet desperation and slamming black labels late on a saturday night instead of stumbling upstairs to the wife who he hates and who despises him is the actual indictment...

but...

whatever...

On 6/27/2021 at 7:14 PM, AnklePicker said:

What about abnormal people who have never wrestled?

I thought abnormal people and wrestlers was a single Venn circle? 

On 6/27/2021 at 6:01 PM, Katie said:

Normal people who never wrestled do not enjoy watching wrestling. It’s just not spectator friendly. That’s just the truth. 

Football and Futbol are the two most boring spectator sports on Earth, so I think popularity is much more culturally influenced than anything.

7 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

Football and Futbol are the two most boring spectator sports on Earth, so I think popularity is much more culturally influenced than anything.

Maybe those sports are incredibly exciting as spectator sports and you've been culturally influenced to devalue the type of excitement they provide in favor of something that is held in higher regard in your culture?

10 minutes ago, Henry said:

Why would anyone read the New York Times? 

Because it’s a good way to gauge the tone  of the country without suffering through a vox or salon pos

Edited by jp157

4 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

Maybe those sports are incredibly exciting as spectator sports and you've been culturally influenced to devalue the type of excitement they provide in favor of something that is held in higher regard in your culture?

Average play time in NFL Game: 11 Minutes

Average goals in a World Cup Soccer Match: 2.3

I don't see any reason to believe that these are inherently more exciting than wrestling, we just have to find a way for people to get even more drunk and tribal around a mat.

1 hour ago, GoNotQuietly said:

Average play time in NFL Game: 11 Minutes

Average goals in a World Cup Soccer Match: 2.3

I don't see any reason to believe that these are inherently more exciting than wrestling, we just have to find a way for people to get even more drunk and tribal around a mat.

Is a sixty-second neutral scramble that results in zero points awarded not "exciting?"  The same goes for soccer:  there is far more to the game than the goals.

20 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

Because they actually enjoy reading real news articles.  Not to mention it’s the best newspaper on the planet. 

Being "...the best newspaper on the planet" is akin to being the best smelling turd. 

4 hours ago, Henry said:

Tone of the country. That's hilarious. 

As someone who’s lived in both “rural conservative merica”. And in the “liberal decadent cities”. It actually does..

Though I’m not a mental weakling and actually look at the news and views of different sources. I actually actively work to understand why those I don’t agree with or even despise think the way they do. 

3 hours ago, klehner said:

Is a sixty-second neutral scramble that results in zero points awarded not "exciting?"  The same goes for soccer:  there is far more to the game than the goals.

I was just kidding; I have nothing but love for Soccer, just pushing back on the "wrestling isn't popular because it isn't exciting" idea. I think the popularity of sports has very little to do with anything intrinsic to the actual sport. 

1 hour ago, AnklePicker said:

Keep getting your news from Facebook buddy, I’m sure it’s more accurate. 

Facebook?

How old are you? Just curious because my grandparents have FB accounts but I do not. 

23 minutes ago, jp157 said:

Though I’m not a mental weakling and actually look at the news and views of different sources

Your dedication and veracity are truly admirable. You are a beacon to us feeble minded folk.