nom

NYTimes - Olympics people to watch - no wrestling

12 minutes ago, window12 said:

Are they avid users or just log on occasionally?

I am unsure. Our conversations do not tend to include their level of social media engagement. 

Would you like me to inquire and report back to you? 

1 minute ago, Henry said:

I am unsure. Our conversations do not tend to include their level of social media engagement. 

Would you like me to inquire and report back to you? 

Only if you think it enriches your connections with them. Otherwise Im perfectly happy to remain in the dark on that point my friend.

1 minute ago, window12 said:

Only if you think it enriches your connections with them. Otherwise Im perfectly happy to remain in the dark on that point my friend.

You asked the question so I assumed you were interested. Silly me.

Just now, Henry said:

You asked the question so I assumed you were interested. Silly me.

I am interested but did not want you to go through any trouble on my account. You are not silly but I can not quite come up with the right adjective just now. Too much time on Facebook is accelerating my senile dementia I guess...

1 hour ago, Henry said:

Your dedication and veracity are truly admirable. You are a beacon to us feeble minded folk. 

It’s become a major point of irritation. People going doing the equivalent of shoving fingers in ears to any view or source they don’t find convenient is a major problem. 

If one is firm enough in their convictions. Reading the opposition and understanding their point of view should make it simply easier to beat or out maneuver them. The only reason not to do it is fear you might be swayed 

14 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

Where do you get your news from?  

I read transcripts of speeches, legislative sessions, judicial opinions, court proceedings, etc. I read police reports and scientific studies (which are less reliable than a flip of the coin). I avoid any source that refers to itself as "news" as it is agenda driven at best and outright fabrication at worst.

2 hours ago, Henry said:

I read transcripts of speeches, legislative sessions, judicial opinions, court proceedings, etc. I read police reports and scientific studies (which are less reliable than a flip of the coin). I avoid any source that refers to itself as "news" as it is agenda driven at best and outright fabrication at worst.

I could see staying away from a newspaper like the NYT due to the political point of view, but what about all that it offers outside of political news?  Art and culture, business, tech, science, travel, NY…that’s why a lot of people read the NYTimes and why they continue to rack up Pulitzer Prizes. 

Edited by AnklePicker

1 hour ago, Henry said:

You don’t read the news for facts. You read it to have a general view of why a group is thinking the way they do…

10 hours ago, GoNotQuietly said:

Football and Futbol are the two most boring spectator sports on Earth, so I think popularity is much more culturally influenced than anything.

Whether a sport is boring is obviously subjective. But based on revenue, it seems as though millions of people agree that football and soccer are fun to watch. 

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

ABC included Adeline Gray in their list. Questionable first sentence, but cool to see that wrestling is no longer dying in the shadows.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/americans-watch-2021-tokyo-olympics/story?id=78232825

Thanks for sharing.  Snyder (and technically a quick mention of Dake, Steveson and Taylor) was also included.

On 6/30/2021 at 8:44 PM, Henry said:

I'd love to roast this, but I don't think I could do it justice.  It's already completely indistinguishable from parody.  

On 6/27/2021 at 5:45 AM, nom said:

Article in NYT listing out athletes to watch at the Olympics.  Love it, trying to spin up interest.  

Canoeing

Handball

Sport Climbing

Skateboarding

Table Tennis

… all have people listed and nice descriptions.  Often multiple people.  And of course there is swimming, etc.

Nada, zip, zilch on wrestling.  I expected Steveson or maybe Dake.  Nope.  Pretty disappointing.  Both make for great stories.

Japan's fault. They politicized a word champ from 2018. Too controversial.