Sign in to follow this  
Swayz

D2 nationals set for new location...

Puts a good amount of sports in one location at one time. I'm not sure a wrestlig event in Alabama will draw a good number of locals out though compared to having it in the mid-west. But maybe haing it there can help to grow the sport further in the south

I think the numbers you will see will surprise you. I believe the UNK, UCO, UIU and Mankatos of the world travel pretty well typically , as do the schools from the Northeast like UPJ, Gannon, and Findlay. Southeast puts a bunch of teams in driving distance that in my opininon don't travel that well, mainly because not a lot of numbers are qualifying when put in a meat grinder of a regional. They way I understand this situation, Newberry will host in Alabama *(although a SC school, it appears that due to the capitol of the state recognizing and flying the Confederate Flag, the state of South Carolina is barred from hosting within the borders of their state for a championship event)

I was thinking that a great turnout may happen and was anticipating seeing great numbers for Alabama just from wrestling fans with no college affiliation from the Southern fans alone!

I like the idea that it moves around. Every corner of the country should be able to experience a tournament like this.

DII's are a blast. You know that if you win your regional, you have a 4th place finisher in another region. Sometimes studs get beat out...you have to make top 4 to go to Nationals, so the politicking of wildcards is thrown out. There was a 3rd place All American as a junior for FHSU that didn't qualify his senior season, and the kid was a 3 time All American overall if I recall (twice at the NJCAA level).

I have been to a few DII's, I really enjoyed the 2001 championships held at Greeley, CO. I think that was the most insane down to the wire tournament. UNO and UCO tied for 3rd, and the team title came down to NDSU and SDSU and to make it more thrilling, the Defending National Champion was a member of one of the teams and the opponent was a huge dude. They went flying off the platform, but later on a big pin to win the NCAA title for NDSU if I recall. Great year too in seeing my teammate, freshman Cole Province win his 1st of 4 NCAA titles.

DII in Omaha (I am guessing it was 2005 as I was on the tailend of all my chemo and radiation)I saw one of my top 5 all time college matches when Shane Perkey of Indy took on Adam Keiswetter of UNK. Those that saw this match know it was a scrap. It was tied going into overtime with a wild score of 12-12 or something like that. Keiswetter hits a twister for like the 3rd time in the match and sticks Perkey in OT. Keiswetter lost in the 1st round of NCAA's that year and rebounded with 5 straight falls to win the Gorrian Award. I own a Keiswetter DVD and am glad that match is on it. This tournament was very emotionally draining in other ways too. UCO had no finalists that year and finished outside the top 10 for the first time in over 30 years, however a few nights prior one of my favorite experiences was attending the Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony for DII wrestling, which included several UNO and UCO alumns, David James (my old UCO coach being one of them). I was deeply moved that DJ allowed us to sit at the table with him for this major event. My teammate Josh Leadingfox had just lost his longtime girlfriend that season due to an illness and he battled galantly to earn All American status. Pointing to the heavens before going out for his 5th place match where he would defeat a young Tervel Dlagnev. Outside of the UNK's and UCO's and UNO's dominating that event, the impressive run by the UNCP team landing 3 in the finals was fantastic, however the most overshadowed and inspiring...Kortney Lake of Adams State. Anybody who saw Lake wrestle at 100% knows he was a beast. He still qualified for Nationals giving up tons of weight (I believe he weighed in close to 15 or more under the 141 class) and was a match away from placing. Lake was a true inspiration, and he is very much missed by all who appreciate wrestling.

2007- Was the WTF moment. UCO came to Kearney and landed 5 in the finals and left tons of heads scratching with some great upsets along the way, nothing like knocking off the defending National Champion from UNK in the first round at his home (Henning at 33). Only going 1-4 in the finals was rough though as an alumn, but a great experience overall.

2010- Almost missed the birth of my son because I road tripped up with Curtis Chenoweth's mom from Wichita and left my car there. Chenoweth was wrestling for Newman at the time and had a long injury plague career coming to an end. I will never forget I am sitting in the stands getting texts from my in-laws that my wife was heading to hospital, next thing I knew fully dialated. My ride didn't want to come home that night, but lucky for me I was able to hitch a ride with the Finn's of UCO and got to my car at 6:45 am and made it to Chanute by 8:15 (that's hauling). Son was born 9:03. I almost ran out of gas!!!!

2012- Was invited to go...wife was preggo and ready to pop again...chose to be safe this time.

2013- I plan on going, but with 1st birthday of daughter coming up we will see. A kid I coached in high school will be gunning on making it to Nationals, and I have a few former NJCAA kids I have helped along with other random kids I have helped get to DII programs that may make it to Bama.

I like the idea that it moves around. Every corner of the country should be able to experience a tournament like this.

Couldn't agree more. Whatever specific Class, Division or Region fans see as their favorites - it's great to promote wrestling by spreading it around.

I might have been too hasty in calling you out as a troll.

After D1's get ruined by this new proposal, it will be nice to know there will be a real championship tournament we can still go watch.

... or maybe I wasn't too hasty.

Seriously, just more negativity that doesn't help the forum or the sport when thrown around in a forum that isn't even about the topic.