BigTimeFan

Seeds are out and Micic is number one

17 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Not a huge fan of the way seeding goes... it's interesting... maybe they just want the busted brackets for the sake of drama.

The seeding criteria is incredibly simple and easy to follow especially for a global sport where matchups can have a huge impact. If you want a seed, compete at the seeding events and do well. If you don't want a seed, don't compete at the seeding events (which is what most of our top level athletes choose to do). 

19 minutes ago, Lurker said:

UWW seeding system is about as good as it gets.  No opinion, no subjectivity.  Clearly set criteria, clearly set seeding events, based solely on performance.  You get what you earn....

This is true, but earning a seed is meaningless if the top guys don’t participate. 

DT being randomly drawn in means the seed Yazdani rightfully earned is meaningless. He doesn’t care who else he faces prior to the finals, besides DT. 

5 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

This is true, but earning a seed is meaningless if the top guys don’t participate. 

DT being randomly drawn in means the seed Yazdani rightfully earned is meaningless. He doesn’t care who else he faces prior to the finals, besides DT. 

I don't really disagree with your point (although I wouldn't go as far as saying its meaningless), but that's on the athlete, not the seeding.  The seeding is as good as it gets, but the seeding cannot make an athlete compete at a tournament if they are unable or don't want to. 

6 hours ago, LJB said:

seeds have always been meaningless in every sport...

seeds foster an excuse mentality...

If seeds are always meaningless, why do the best coaches in the country care about them? Being random drawn into a tournament can be a disaster, since the effects of a prior match can impact the subsequent.  Best example of this that i've ever seen was Varner's gold medal bracket. The lack of seeding and his easy draw was a deciding factor in Varner winning gold.  

3 main ways to do this.

The random draw. Only upside to this method is its unbiased. Downsides go without saying, esp given wrestlings knockout format.

You can have a committee create a subjective list. This would in theory create the most fair brackets but its too messy, exploitable, controversy laced to implement in practice. 

So the current system, it should work but people change weights and wrestlers don't wrestle.  No malicious intent, it just is what it is. 

8 hours ago, LJB said:

seeds have always been meaningless in every sport...

seeds foster an excuse mentality...

If you can figure out a way to make the seeds accurately reflect people level then they'd absolutely matter. Draws are huge in knockout formats like this. 

Everyone can blame a bad draw fir whatever...

the true bad MFers don’t care and know they have to handle their business no matter who and where in the bracket...

as evidenced by many of the absolute top guys not having seeds at Tokyo...

but...

excuses makers will always look for excuses...

1 hour ago, LJB said:

the true bad MFers don’t care and know they have to handle their business no matter who and where in the bracket...

but...

LJB, I usually agree with you, most of your posts (even the troll ones) tend to be rooted in truth.

The above is an obtuse take.  Why do we bother to award silver and the two bronzes, if we don't care if those individuals even closely resemble three of the top four competitors on the given day?

These are Olympic medals we are talking about, both a source of pride and an opportunity to improve the wealth and lifestyle of the winners in their respective countries.  I wish the winners of the "lesser" medals were more authentic.

8 hours ago, JHRoseWrestling said:

LJB, I usually agree with you, most of your posts (even the troll ones) tend to be rooted in truth.

The above is an obtuse take.  Why do we bother to award silver and the two bronzes, if we don't care if those individuals even closely resemble three of the top four competitors on the given day?

These are Olympic medals we are talking about, both a source of pride and an opportunity to improve the wealth and lifestyle of the winners in their respective countries.  I wish the winners of the "lesser" medals were more authentic.

i don't fault you for feeling that way...

11 hours ago, LJB said:

but...

A bad draw can absolutely impact the outcome of a tournament. This is true at any level in which parity exists, and these are the best guys in the world. I don’t think anyone would have considered Gadisov or 96 kg Yazdani anything but elite wrestlers. 

There’s a difference between what sounds good and sounds tough, and then the reality of having to wrestle multiple elite wrestlers who are all fresh from easy draws. It does make a difference. 

Just now, Billyhoyle said:

A bad draw can absolutely impact the outcome of a tournament. This is true at any level in which parity exists, and these are the best guys in the world. I don’t think anyone would have considered Gadisov or 96 kg Yazdani anything but elite wrestlers. 

There’s a difference between what sounds good and sounds tough, and then the reality of having to wrestle multiple elite wrestlers who are all fresh from easy draws. It does make a difference. 

sounds tough?

adorable...

again...

worrying about seeds is an excuse mentality...

i get why most of you all have it...

1 minute ago, LJB said:

sounds tough?

adorable...

again...

worrying about seeds is an excuse mentality...

i get why most of you all have it...

Do you really think NCAA coaches like Brands, Sanderson, and Koll who do care about seeds have excuse mentalities? It’s dumb for an athlete, especially a younger one, to obsess about seeds. But we shouldn’t act like they don’t impact the outcome of the tournament. 

36 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Do you really think NCAA coaches like Brands, Sanderson, and Koll who do care about seeds have excuse mentalities? It’s dumb for an athlete, especially a younger one, to obsess about seeds. But we shouldn’t act like they don’t impact the outcome of the tournament. 

of course they are... because their jobs depend on the results of others many of which have no realistic chance of being the absolute best...

do you consider carl a liar?

he does lie all the time in interviews?

why?

clearly, i look at this stuff differently than most and i am aware of that...

because most are average by definition...

and then add in the "fan" aspect and every excuse is on the table when you tie any sort of personal self worth to the results of others...

like i said...

i don't begrude any of you for that excuse mentality... i totally get it...

but...

personally, if i fell prey to that i would want to cut my own head off...