Relentless125

Ruth to Illinois

Ed Ruth to be assistant coach at U of I.

https://fightingillini.com/news/2021/7/1/wrestling-poeta-adds-ed-ruth-to-coaching-staff.aspx

This is interesting to me because didn't he just get to NC State less than a year ago as one of the RTC coaches?

Timing with this, Gwiz leaving to to Cornell and Macchiavello leaving as well doesn't look great. Did the RTC lose funding or something?

Wonder if Ruth is done with MMA or where he'll train if not. He's lost his last two fights with his last fight almost a year ago.

2 hours ago, southend said:

Strange hire. I must be missing something. But good luck.  Illinois needs some in state hammers for keeping talent home. Ruth?  

Why is it strange? I guess the question is is Hunter still there?  But Ruth did coach at Wolfpack RTC last year.  And if nothing else I'm sure he'll be a good training partner for the 3 Braunagels + Luffman who all have 3+ years of eligibility remaining.

4 hours ago, southend said:

Strange hire. I must be missing something. But good luck.  Illinois needs some in state hammers for keeping talent home. Ruth?  

I think this works well. He's newer to coaching but had a ton of success and was there when a top program was built. Illinois still needed an upper-weight coach.

8 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Why is it strange? I guess the question is is Hunter still there?  But Ruth did coach at Wolfpack RTC last year.  And if nothing else I'm sure he'll be a good training partner for the 3 Braunagels + Luffman who all have 3+ years of eligibility remaining.

Quoting myself but I’m assuming Hunter is still there since last year they had both Poeta & Hunter listed as assistants but currently it was only Hunter, in which case maybe he had something to do with the hire also being a PSU grad?

Edited by 1032004

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Quoting myself but I’m assuming Hunter is still there since last year they had both Poeta & Hunter listed as assistants but currently it was only Hunter, in which case maybe he had something to do with the hire also being a PSU grad?

Hunter is still there. This is the spot Poeta was in previously.

10 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Great hire - arguably one of the best 10 wrestlers from Penn State in the last decade.

Ed can not only teach and train, he can recruit.

Another great step forward for wrestling.

FIFY. 

Ed has to be in the PSU GOAT conversation. 3-1-1-1, and he beat the tar out of two of the three finalists he faced, one of those two being the guy who beat him his RS FR year.

11 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Ed can not only teach and train, he can recruit.

All of this may yet prove true, but I cannot imagine what you're basing an evaluation of his recruiting on.

He was an extraordinary wrestler who I wish would have stuck with it, and I assume he will be great in the room. As stated above, he seems like a pretty good get as a second assistant.

Edited by IronChef

FIFY. 
Ed has to be in the PSU GOAT conversation. 3-1-1-1, and he beat the tar out of two of the three finalists he faced, one of those two being the guy who beat him his RS FR year.

And he didn’t lose to 2 rivals in the finals when it really matters.

8 hours ago, Le duke said:

FIFY. 

No argument from me. I had originally typed up higher accolades, but changed them to more conservative numbers in an attempt to avoid an off-topic "Who was best at PSU" debate.

50 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

I know Ruth was a badass. You all know Ruth was a badass. Do the kids even know who Ruth is? 

Well do any kids know who Tom and Terry are?

No not 

TomandJerryTitleCardc.jpg

Tom and Terry.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11 hours ago, VakAttack said:

*small voice* I think Ruth was better than David Taylor in college, though Taylor was more important to the program.

This take is so flamin’ hot that Cheetos is suing you for trademark infringement

2 hours ago, Mphillips said:

I know Ruth was a badass. You all know Ruth was a badass. Do the kids even know who Ruth is? 

The kids are incredibly well versed in using YouTube... so those that don't know Ed, will know in a matter of minutes. And those that are interested will find it worth their time.

On 7/1/2021 at 8:50 PM, Relentless125 said:

Ed Ruth to be assistant coach at U of I.

https://fightingillini.com/news/2021/7/1/wrestling-poeta-adds-ed-ruth-to-coaching-staff.aspx

This is interesting to me because didn't he just get to NC State less than a year ago as one of the RTC coaches?

Timing with this, Gwiz leaving to to Cornell and Macchiavello leaving as well doesn't look great. Did the RTC lose funding or something?

Wonder if Ruth is done with MMA or where he'll train if not. He's lost his last two fights with his last fight almost a year ago.

Where is Macchiavello going?

55 minutes ago, RED said:

Where is Macchiavello going?

No clue if anywhere.  A few weeks ago Mineo claimed he “could” be going to Cornell along with Gwiz, but haven’t seen anyone else say that.

He did get 3/4 right for Stanford/California RTC (Cenzo, Leeth, Honis), but didn’t have Perelli on his Cornell/Spartan list, so who knows.

On 7/1/2021 at 8:50 PM, Relentless125 said:

While this is a possibility - I doubt this is the case. To me, a coaching position directly with a University is much more appealing than 'just' an RTC role, so I could see why Ruth would make this move. Gwiz makes sense because he's closer to home, and with him likely being closer to retirement than not - maybe he was promised room to move up at Cornell in regard to coaching.

The hole in my point is Mach, not sure why he would leave other than for funding issues.  

Edited by iGranby

23 hours ago, VakAttack said:

*small voice* I think Ruth was better than David Taylor in college, though Taylor was more important to the program.

The way Taylor 'Burst' onto the scene his RS Fr year, along with how highly heralded he was coming out of HS is why he was such a bigger name imo.