Was BJ Futrell even a consideration? He is from Chicagoland and North of I-80 if I am not mistaken. Not that Ruth is a bad choice, but there has been a big push to get IL guys to become IL coaches and recruit IL kids, from the northern part of the state. 

Edited by TexRef

just a few short years ago all we could talk about was "when and where will the elite PSU guys end up coaching and how awesome will they be when do do finally start"

now we're surprised that illinois hired ed ruth and questioning whether kids will know who he is???

5 minutes ago, Witherman said:

just a few short years ago all we could talk about was "when and where will the elite PSU guys end up coaching and how awesome will they be when do do finally start"

now we're surprised that illinois hired ed ruth and questioning whether kids will know who he is???

Who is this Penn State you speak of and when did they last win a title, can't remember must've been a decade ago.

Some folks think old people are forgetful/losing memory others seem to think young kids can't  remember anything, can we just agree we are all losing it?  ;_;

3 hours ago, TexRef said:

Was BJ Futrell even a consideration? He is from Chicagoland and North of I-80 if I am not mistaken. Not that Ruth is a bad choice, but there has been a big push to get IL guys to become IL coaches and recruit IL kids, from the northern part of the state. 

Who better to recruit Chicago-area kids than Poeta himself? Ruth's there to give them some recruiting cred in PA and as a workout partner for the big guys.

18 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Who better to recruit Chicago-area kids than Poeta himself? Ruth's there to give them some recruiting cred in PA and as a workout partner for the big guys.

That may be true. But I know that Poeta is focusing on keeping kids in state more than anything 

I am not questioning the talent Ed Ruth has. I was just wondering why BJ Futrell's name never entered the conversation?

When people talk about Poeta and him being able to recruit the GOOD IL kids, his track record doesn't look great. It was mentioned earlier in this thread. 

57 minutes ago, TexRef said:

I am not questioning the talent Ed Ruth has. I was just wondering why BJ Futrell's name never entered the conversation?

When people talk about Poeta and him being able to recruit the GOOD IL kids, his track record doesn't look great. It was mentioned earlier in this thread. 

How do you know Futrell wasn’t a candidate? He was just hired on in some capacity at Penn so maybe he leveraged an Illinois offer into that? Not everyone wants to come ‘home’ especially when that ‘home’ is Champaign and not actually home. They seem to have a good thing going at Penn and with Burroughs coming into the fold is the Illinois 2nd assistant job really better than staying at Penn? 

As far as training partners goes… Penn >>> Illinois right now. 

10 hours ago, TexRef said:

Practically speaking, I’d venture Ed was brought in to give the braunagel brothers a little extra oomph.  Illinois is returning some good dudes, and it would help Poeta’s tenure greatly if he could bring home some AA awards in short order.

9 hours ago, TexRef said:

Who knows how much Poeta was involved in recruiting as a assistant - maybe focused more on working with kids already in the room and limited recruiting to only the kids coming from his club? As HC, he will have control over where the school's recruiting efforts are focused.

7 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Who knows how much Poeta was involved in recruiting as a assistant - maybe focused more on working with kids already in the room and limited recruiting to only the kids coming from his club? As HC, he will have control over where the school's recruiting efforts are focused.

The rumors were that Poeta was running everything the last couple of years

44 minutes ago, jp157 said:

He didn't try to recruit my 50 year-old ass, so how involved could he really have been?

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

He didn't try to recruit my 50 year-old ass, so how involved could he really have been?

The fact that he didn't recruit you is evidence that he must be top notch coach.  ;)

5 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Why are you calling attention to Mike Poetas good judgment? We already knew he had

On 7/13/2021 at 2:21 PM, jp157 said:

Perry did the same previously and is a large reason why he left which was a real shame. He was polarizing but would have continued a strong top 20 program. Instead, a few years later Poeta has had to start from scratch with an empty cupboard doing all the technique, recruiting, and admin work with no experience outside of running a high level kid's club.

23 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Perry did the same previously and is a large reason why he left which was a real shame. He was polarizing but would have continued a strong top 20 program. 

not true

On 7/1/2021 at 8:09 PM, southend said:

Strange hire. I must be missing something. But good luck.  Illinois needs some in state hammers for keeping talent home. Ruth?  

Ed Ruth is at your back door right now. He'd like a word.

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

Perry did the same previously and is a large reason why he left which was a real shame. He was polarizing but would have continued a strong top 20 program. Instead, a few years later Poeta has had to start from scratch with an empty cupboard doing all the technique, recruiting, and admin work with no experience outside of running a high level kid's club.

Jeremy Hunter is one of the longest tenured assistants in the Big Ten, what like 15 years at Illinois?    I know nothing of the situation, but Hunter has been there a long time, is well respected, Illinois has had most of their recent success at the lower weights where he coached and he was retained by the new coach.  He has to be an important part of the success Illinois has had and in running the program.

Edited by Gantry

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

Gotcha