goheels1812

O’Connor to 157

Announced by UNC on twitter. I have no clue how he will do there. I think he will still All-American, but I doubt he will push for a national championship. However, the door is open for Lachlan McNeil to start as a freshman at 149 now and I love that. I’ve always been really high on him and am glad he’s in Chapel Hill ready to roll.

Edited by goheels1812

44 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I think he can beat anyone besides maybe Carr. 157 is weak this year I think outside of O’Connor and Carr. 

Mcneil can beat anyone at 149 outside of the top few. I bet he places 5th or so. He is really damn good and getting better daily

157 isn’t weak...Deakin still has a year of eligibility left and could use it, then 157 returns Teemer, Braxton Lee, Carr, young whose a multiple time AA, Kendall Coleman who was injured at ncaas, Jacques, Humphries, a healthy Marcus Hartman, a healthy Lewan ..hell I could see Sasso or Abas moving up to 157 too

9 hours ago, Le duke said:

157 is a lot deeper than 149 was last year. 149 was the worst weight at NCAAs by a good stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you see the 125 bracket? Outside of spencer Lee it was without a doubt weaker than every other weight. 149 was definitely towards the bottom of that list too though. 

22 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

157 isn’t weak...Deakin still has a year of eligibility left and could use it, then 157 returns Teemer, Braxton Lee, Carr, young whose a multiple time AA, Kendall Coleman who was injured at ncaas, Jacques, Humphries, a healthy Marcus Hartman, a healthy Lewan ..hell I could see Sasso or Abas moving up to 157 too

Deakin looks like he isn’t coming back. 
 Half the guys you name haven’t AAd. That doesn’t mean they are bad, but it is a bit weird to use them as an example of a deep weight. 

20 hours ago, Le duke said:

157 is a lot deeper than 149 was last year. 149 was the worst weight at NCAAs by a good stretch.

A lot of weights were bad last year. 2021 was an anomaly due to so many amazing guys sitting

3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Deakin looks like he isn’t coming back. 
 Half the guys you name haven’t AAd. That doesn’t mean they are bad, but it is a bit weird to use them as an example of a deep weight. 

What makes you say Deakin looks like he isn't returning? I haven't been able to get any info on him.

What makes you say Deakin looks like he isn't returning? I haven't been able to get any info on him.

Deakin made a post about NIL that made it sound like he’s coming back.

For his sake, I hope it’s at 165.

20 hours ago, Major Kong said:

He hasn’t announced it yet, which is weird. 

I see virtually no chance he is at 157. I’d also pick O’Connor against him at 157 at NCAAs. 

19 hours ago, Le duke said:

Deakin made a post about NIL that made it sound like he’s coming back.

For his sake, I hope it’s at 165.

I think he’d do very well at 165. The weight cleared out partially it looks like. It’s still a good weight, but without Mekhi and the returning champ, it loses some of its power. I’d say Marinelli and the best wrestler at Mizzou are probably favorites over him. Maybe a couple others

Well, he WAS at PSU very recently. And they do have a weakness at 157/165.

Also, I'd bet that Griffith is at 165 this year. And, I wonder if Hayden Hidlay will actually wrestle at 174 this year; I know he says he wants to practice with his brother, but getting his face mushed in by true 174lb guys is going to be a humbling experience. 

Edited by Le duke

39 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Well, he WAS at PSU very recently. And they do have a weakness at 157/165.

Also, I'd bet that Griffith is at 165 this year. And, I wonder if Hayden Hidlay will actually wrestle at 174 this year; I know he says he wants to practice with his brother, but getting his face mushed in by true 174lb guys is going to be a humbling experience. 

Massa did just fine at 174, when he was an average sized 165lber, so I think Hidlay, who is stronger and larger than Massa (imo), will be just fine at 174.

9 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Massa did just fine at 174, when he was an average sized 165lber, so I think Hidlay, who is stronger and larger than Massa (imo), will be just fine at 174.

Massa has several inches on Hidlay. As will everyone else.

At some point, it's not a matter of weight/strength. Reach is a big deal. Being able to keep people off your legs with head/hands, and penetrating the defense of your opponent. Imagine Hidlay trying to get to the legs of a guy like Starocci; unless he blows straight through him with a double, it's going to be really, really hard for him to score.

Edited by Le duke

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Those counting out Deakin, who destroyed everyone at 157 for 18 months, are silly.

He will succeed at whichever weight he chooses to go and will be a contender.

If he ever gets over his NCAA's block. He is capable of dominating almost everyone, including Carr, Hidlay, etc.

1 hour ago, Major Kong said:

If he ever gets over his NCAA's block. He is capable of dominating almost everyone, including Carr, Hidlay, etc.

The guy would be huge for 165, let alone 157. He's got to be making a massive cut, and I'd bet that it takes a toll on him over a three day tournament. 

On 7/5/2021 at 12:13 PM, Major Kong said:

I think that’s the point.  Classes start in like 6 weeks.  I think it’s unlikely he’ll be anywhere at least for the fall semester...but I guess you can’t rule out a January return.

Back somewhat on topic...Matscout Corby says Kizhan Clarke to UNC